New wheels saving 34lbs

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fox

Not sure how to upload image of my car with gold konig dial in wheels 15x7 but here is a link
https://ibb.co/iRf2Dv

Probably looks better in day light, at least it don't look like a grocery getter now.
What do you all think?

To answer some questions, these bolted right to the car a 2014 Spark ev with zero spacers or other things(grinding calipers)
It was pure luck as these wheels were bought and put on my 500e(requires wobble bolts, and hub rings) first, now they are bolted straight on the spark with zero issues so far.
The tires are Hancook VENTUS V2 CONCEPT2 195/50/15
Total with wheels/tires was about $600

I do not yet know how they affect range buy they look pretty sweet :). How do I upload images?

Nice that they bolt on and fit. What about the hub centers? Do they need hubcentric rings? Are you using stock lug nuts?
If you never get close to using all your range, who cares if you have a few miles less if you now have sticky performance tires.

I use photobucket.com to paste pictures directly into a post.
Set up an acct. Uploading your pics to your 'library' is easy. Then click on the pic you want to share, under the 'share pic' list use the 'IMG' to copy and paste that directly into your forum post.
You won't see it until you preview the post.

You could use rings if you wish but the truth is the wheel centering on lugs(stock) are plenty good enough and people have been doing that for decades. The car is more fun to drive!

I'd like to hear a report on the new tires/wheels as well:

Noticeable improvement in acceleration, cornering, braking, handling?
Noise level?
Speedo/odo error?
Range difference? Ideally should go up for the lighter wheels, and down for the increased rolling resistance. Did the sportier tires result in a change in driving style that would affect range?

Honestly I didn't have the stock ones on long enough to really compare the range but I can tell you this, bumps do not make me lose my teeth, corners are easy, traction is seriously improved, and the looks are way better. These are probably the best upgrade money can buy for this thing and not much of that. Bolt right on :).

fox said:
These bolted right to the car a 2014 Spark ev with zero spacers or other things(grinding calipers). It was pure luck as these wheels were bought and put on my 500e first, now they are bolted straight on the spark with zero issues so far. The tires are Hancook VENTUS V2 CONCEPT2 195/50/15.

If you got these wheels and tires for a total of about $600, you got a great deal. I also think the Hankook Ventus V2 Concept 2 is a good choice. With a UTQG of 500 AA-A these should be relatively long mileage tires. They are listed as "fuel efficient" which I was told is somewhat akin to "low rolling resistance" which is good for the Spark EV. I picked the 205-50-15 because the overall diameter is exactly the same as the original 185-55-15 tire that came on the front of the car, and thus, should not affect the speedometer/odometer at all. On the rear, the car will sit about 0.2" lower as the diameter is about 0.4" less than the original (195-55-15) rear tires.

Here is a photo of my Spark with the new Rota Slipstream wheels. Eventually, I will paint the calipers black so that the silver color doesn't conflict with the wheels.

And here are the details:
Wheels:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/302057196901?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Note: these have a fairly large hub center bore which is typical of this manufacturer (sort of a "one size fits all" thing). Given the conical shape of the lug nuts, the wheels seem to have centered just fine. These weigh about one pound more (each) than the Konig Dial In wheel. However the Dial In is not available in a polished finish.

Wheel spacers:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161968101445?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

The spacers I ordered were specifically for a 4x100 application. The 5mm spacer is about 0.2" thick. I tried a universal set of 1/4" thick spacers and while they worked, the overall diameter of the spacer was greater than the diameter of the inner mounting surface of the wheel, and as such, looked a bit dorky.

Tires:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc ... =15&cs=205

TPMS:
https://tpms247.com/collections/2015-ch ... 0063589445

Note: Unless you are saving your original tires & wheels for a lease return (or for any other reason), you could use the existing TPMS sensors. I also believe that if properly located (e.g. RF to RF, etc.) you would not need to reset the sensors although doing so is relatively easy with the proper tool.

You can find a photo of my Spark with the new Rota Slipstream wheels here.
http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4630&start=10
Mine is the black one towards the end of the page. Eventually, I will paint the calipers black so that the silver color doesn't conflict with the wheels.

fox said:
To answer some questions, these bolted right to the car a 2014 Spark ev with zero spacers or other things(grinding calipers)
It was pure luck as these wheels were bought and put on my 500e(requires wobble bolts, and hub rings) first, now they are bolted straight on the spark with zero issues so far.
The tires are Hancook VENTUS V2 CONCEPT2 195/50/15

I do not yet know how they affect range buy they look pretty sweet :). How do I upload images?

Please, tell me where I can get this package for about $600.
I just got my SparkEV, and I have bald fronts. I know I won't be happy replacing just two tires, but I also can't seem to find your combo for less than 800.

Cheers

it means that by using a different set of wheels, the weight reduction amounts to 34 pounds. This weight reduction can provide various benefits such as improved acceleration, braking, and fuel efficiency in automotive applications. Lighter wheels can also enhance handling and responsiveness, resulting in a more enjoyable driving experience. Additionally, reducing unsprung weight (weight not supported by the suspension) can contribute to better suspension performance and overall vehicle dynamics.

I don't think that on a car that is almost 3000 pounds that a 30-ish pound difference in the weight of the wheels will make much of a difference in acceleration, braking, or fuel efficiency. It is about a 1% difference in weight.

It's less 'Unsprung' weight, so theoretically there may be better performance on rough roads when at the limit of speed and traction...
Racer Boi stuff. :lol:

But as for better acceleration.... Good luck trying to measure that... :cool:

Back