DC fast charging on my Spark EV

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I wrote, "for me", and "many" others.

I suspect there's some impact on DCFC cars. If you take 70% depreciation figure, $750 would be only worth $210. Given a SparkEV with identical characteristics, I'm sure the one with DCFC will probably sell for more than $210 higher, especially to someone who's even remotely familiar with SparkEV's phenomenal DCFC speed.

Very few cars are investment. SparkEV is an appliance where utility is paramount. Without DCFC, daily range is maybe 200 miles if you hypermile and charge two times (12 hours of charging). But with SparkEV DCFC, someone drove 650 miles in 16 hours with mostly highway miles on cruise control (no hyper-miling). That utility is certainly worth more than $210.

I found several non DCFC Spark EV's while searching for over 2 months. They were from 6000-10k with low miles....but the DCFC cars I found typically were starting out at 9k up to 13k with the same miles. They really seem to pull a premium. I had to have the option so it made my search long since I am located in OKC. There simply arent any here. I would be willing to bet I have the ONLY EV Spark in the state. Would be very surprised if there were others honestly. But I live 1/8th of a mile from a free DCFC station so that is why I had to have it. We have a L2 charger at home for the Volt and I just keep it free for that car.
At the new house we will have 2 of the GE WattStations in use so if I need to get some juice at night in the Spark I can. Also get to charge at work for free L1...better than nothing right. :)

There is a 2014 Spark EV that has been on CL for months that will not sell for $8,300. Isn't that nearly 70% less than the original price?

Did that Spark have DCFC?

I would imagine in Cali or other states where there is a plethora of EV cars to choose from it would sit much longer if non DCFC in an area where it is readily available. I have 1 public station within 50 miles of me that is DCFC in OKC. Pretty sad. Luckily its free to use!
We have 95% eliminated our gas bill. Only use gas when we need to use the Truck.

Redpoint5 said:
There is a 2014 Spark EV that has been on CL for months that will not sell for $8,300. Isn't that nearly 70% less than the original price?

Yes and no. Most people that complain about EV depreciation forget to factor in that the purchase price is essentially inflated right out of the gate. The tax rebates on my Spark totaled $13k, so the actual depreciation on my car is pretty similar to most ICE vehicles.

Back