Bolt charger replacement

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPL

9sf4vbpvq2rz.png

Interesting.

But what about the AC wires from the charge port to the charger?
And the DC wires from the charger to the battery?
And there's probably a relay or two in there...
And the cooling hoses and pump capacity to cool the charger as needed?
And the actual physical size differences between these two unit?
And as he said,,, the SW to make it play nice?

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just buy a Bolt charger, with the Bolt surrounding it? :lol:

That's my plan as soon as GM ups their high tech game and offers ACC with real Lane Keep Assist and other goodies like that!

Let me remind you that this part of the forum is called MODIFICATIONS & accessories.

I see you are the kind of guy that gets a divorce to be with a younger woman instead of working things out

JPL said:
...I see you are the kind of guy that gets a divorce to be with a younger woman instead of working things out
Touche, Good sir. And Good Day.

PS. Only once. It wouldn't be funny the second time.
PSS. I like your choice of cars. I have owned two the the three you have listed! You, sir, are like me and like drive cheaply, and without sending your dollars to the bad guys, much.

I was able to get service diagrams of the Spark EV charger so now I need to try to get the same for the Bolt and compare. I imagine they differ only in physical size, which is not a trivial problem.

Hopefully, the actual charging smarts is in the charger itself and what we see on the dash display is fed by that. (This is how the Zivan charger I used on my last homebrew EV worked. It had pins that communicated status via voltage level changes, etc.) Or, the dash display would just be wrong (estimating e.g. 7 hours when it actually will take 3.) But I suspect the dash display is informed by the actual current going to the batteries because the estimated time of full charge changes gradually as the battery current goes up. (Try it: plug in with the 110V EVSE, note the estimated time. Change it to 12A, watch the time adjust a few times as the rate ramps up.)

I wonder if the Volt owners may have more info as the charging is very similar to the one in the spark ev

Back