Aftermarket speakers?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a lots of knowledge with speakers, but I def want to replace stock speaker for clarity. Not looking for bass, in case if I need I will get Kenwood Sub (mentioned in this forum).

I am too confused with speaker watt 40watt or 150watt.

Looking to get this one https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-A4676R-3-Way-Speaker-Set/dp/B014Z7IOGA/ref=sr_1_2?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1467399102&sr=1-2&keywords=pioneer+4x6%22+speakers

If anyone can throw some light on this one.

abhisharma said:
I don't have a lots of knowledge with speakers, but I def want to replace stock speaker for clarity. Not looking for bass, in case if I need I will get Kenwood Sub (mentioned in this forum).

I am too confused with speaker watt 40watt or 150watt.

Looking to get this one https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-A4676R-3-Way-Speaker-Set/dp/B014Z7IOGA/ref=sr_1_2?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1467399102&sr=1-2&keywords=pioneer+4x6%22+speakers

If anyone can throw some light on this one.

won't make any difference in this case, the factory radio won't come close to putting out 150 watts

NORTON said:
Yeah, thanks for the tip !!
Is it a switched power source?

Yes.

Make sure you get a 15A Add-a-Circuit for this project. Required by the Kicker instructions. VERY IMPORTANT. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007D5DB88/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I'm in the middle of a sound deadening project (https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/) on my Spark EV, including the installation of the Kicker Hideaway. I've been testing the Hideaway under the driver seat.

The fused circuit in question does, indeed, go dead when the car is powered OFF. (I'd guess that'd be a bummer if you wanted to listen to the infotainment system whilst parked with the "ignition" in "accessory" mode...I've done this in my Spark EV, but the car is powered ON because I'm watching the Torque Pro output).

I'll be doing an extended-time test of the circuit in the next day or so to make sure everything is kosher. Initial testing doesn't reveal any hiccups, although the sound from the Hideaway is in serious need of tuning...

I'm using the Hideaway's blue 12V wire spliced into the rear power port in the console for 12V activation, as per the installation instructions.

Heh. So much has changed since my days with a 1969 VW Beetle! :mrgreen:

-Bob K.

If anyone is actually looking for some bass, good lord this thing punches FAR above its weight, its full metal construction and perfect to mount to the back of the rear drivers side seat.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Bwu05T8PTPv/p_500PWES8/Alpine-PWE-S8.html

I had that installed along with the Kickers that were recommended in this thread (added foam enclosures for the rear 4x6s) and while it may not have the tonal quality of my old Volt's factory Bose system, its damn nice, and the bass is far beyond what the Bose system could produce.

If there is interest I can take pictures of the install.

SciroccoTDI said:
... and perfect to mount to the back of the rear drivers side seat....
Pictures would be great !

I know it's probably been covered before but,, where did you get switched power for the sub?

NORTON said:
Pictures would be great !

I know it's probably been covered before but,, where did you get switched power for the sub?

Spare fuse slot on the fuse block for switched power, main power right to the 12v battery under the hood.

-E

SciroccoTDI said:
If anyone is actually looking for some bass, good lord this thing punches FAR above its weight, its full metal construction and perfect to mount to the back of the rear drivers side seat.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Bwu05T8PTPv/p_500PWES8/Alpine-PWE-S8.html

I had that installed along with the Kickers that were recommended in this thread (added foam enclosures for the rear 4x6s) and while it may not have the tonal quality of my old Volt's factory Bose system, its damn nice, and the bass is far beyond what the Bose system could produce.

That's the sub I have. It can put out way more bass than is good for you :)

nikwax said:
That's the sub I have. It can put out way more bass than is good for you :)

Indeed! It surprises the hell out of me, I have to keep it turned way down most of the time.

SciroccoTDI said:
Spare fuse slot on the fuse block for switched power, main power right to the 12v battery under the hood.
-E
Well, I joined the club! I 'accidentally' bought a used one on ebay. I bid with 4 hrs to go, just for the thrill, and now it's on the way! Hope it actually works correctly. I have to find the missing connector.
Do you know how to use photobucket to embed nice big pics in the body of the forum post?
Did you find a decent feed-through on the fire wall? If pros installed it for you there may not be much to see if all the wire runs are hidden.
I want to make it easy to remove, if possible, for when I have a full load of luggage or bikes.
Yours is on the back of the back seat, correct?

NORTON said:
Well, I joined the club! I 'accidentally' bought a used one on ebay. I bid with 4 hrs to go, just for the thrill, and now it's on the way! Hope it actually works correctly. I have to find the missing connector.
Do you know how to use photobucket to embed nice big pics in the body of the forum post?
Did you find a decent feed-through on the fire wall? If pros installed it for you there may not be much to see if all the wire runs are hidden.
I want to make it easy to remove, if possible, for when I have a full load of luggage or bikes.
Yours is on the back of the back seat, correct?

HA! Nice! You will want to see if you can source the plug from Alpine - its unique to that amp.

http://alpine-usa.com/support/parts

This is the part -

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ws2z3ro08bbwlh0/AABTuhb2jeGviMIvdX3BCl4Za

Is yours coming with the remote control knob for gain? If not, you'll want that too for SURE.

I screwed mine down because I didn't think Velcro could handle the weight of the unit when the seat is up (it is solid metal construction).

You may have to get creative if you want yours to be easily removable.....

Seat up - you can see the extra wire left for when I need to fold the seat down -

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/wo85p78uumezhmg/AACS4vHKQhCaHBhKqF3eoYjGa

Seat down -

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/wbiypfvxxz56g8g/AABBdN9JYbsPicY0swoViH7da

As for 12v feed from the battery, there is a existing grommet on the firewall right behind the battery, very convenient.

Ground proved to be VERY tricky...we found a hollow cross brace under the foam on the true metal trunk floor - we safely drilled there since it was visibly hollow and we knew we wouldn't be going into the drive battery. That metal is TOUGH AS HELL - ate up a cheap drill bit and even minorly damaged my best bit set - self tapping screws just STRIPPED trying to go into the pilot hole I had initially drilled. We ended up having to put a bolt and nut through a much larger hole! Note you want the ground within 18" of the sub if at all possible.

Also have a fuse at the 12v battery within 18" as well (yes the plug you need does have a fuse holder on it...but its WAY too far from the source in this application).

-E

First, thanks so much for the detailed pics and info!!
You got farther than me trying to find the connector kit. I sent an email to crutchfield asking for info. I'll call Alpine after I get the sub just to be sure I need it.
This sub looks small enough I may not be concerned about removing it for large loads. And it's a metal enclosure so a bike touching it shouldn't be a problem.

Say, is that speaker cloth/grill covering your rear speaker?

Yes, fuse/circuit breakers close as possible to the source of power. They are there to protect the wires, not the device. Things can go up in smoke easily at 1-2 Amps. :eek:
Sounds like the Spark uses some high strength steel !! You burnished off the paint for the ground terminal, correct?

NORTON said:
First, thanks so much for the detailed pics and info!!
You got farther than me trying to find the connector kit. I sent an email to crutchfield asking for info. I'll call Alpine after I get the sub just to be sure I need it.
This sub looks small enough I may not be concerned about removing it for large loads. And it's a metal enclosure so a bike touching it shouldn't be a problem.

Say, is that speaker cloth/grill covering your rear speaker?

Yes, fuse/circuit breakers close as possible to the source of power. They are there to protect the wires, not the device. Things can go up in smoke easily at 1-2 Amps. :eek:
Sounds like the Spark uses some high strength steel !! You burnished off the paint for the ground terminal, correct?

No worries, I can take more pics as needed - those were just terrible low light stuff.

Just ask Alpine for the part numbers you need, that page is sending you to authorized re-sellers of their parts...once you have the P/N you are good to go - I did see a harness on ebay, but its quality was seriously lacking compared to what Alpine supplies.

The grill on the sub is metal as well.

If you are speaking of the foam enclosures on the rear 4x6s here ya go -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ASEFO7C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No more open air 4x6s that sound gawd awful when the rear seat is down...they don't fit perfect but they do the job.

And yes, paint came off easy...that metal back there is some intense stuff though.

Have fun, this little bastard is amazing given its size (kinda like our cars eh?) :)

-E

I meant to post a follow to my speaker upgrade from like a year ago. I went with:

front Kicker 40CS44
rear Kicker 40CS464
sub Kenwood KSC-SW11

You will see from the pic how I mounted the sub completely hidden in the cubby where the portable charger goes.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/38695487@N00/32416205250/

It looked like a convenient spot since my charger stays on the wall in the garage. It did require cutting away just a bit of the stryrofoam but it's a snug fit and no wires to be seen.

Now I know someone will say "no circulation!" I originally left out the rear cover cuz I was worried about just that. But after six months of having groceries and propane tanks laying on top of it, I figured I would cover it and see how it blows, I mean, goes. I had driven around with a hockey bag completely covering it before on many occasions anyway so I figured what the hell. And all sub-bass so hardly any noticeable difference.

Just ordered
front Kicker 40KS44
rear Kicker 40KS464
with the 4 wires(metra)
and the foam enclosure for a total of $120. Here's to hoping it sounds better than this kmart trash chevy installed. My god, I haven't heard a more terrible stereo since like 1985 when I was too young to know the difference. Those paper speakers sounded better!

Had my Spark EV about a month now, joined the forums just to post on this thread

My experience with upgrading my speakers started with reading this exact thread and looking on Amazon at the Kickers that have been mentioned so many times. I thought to myself there must be a better bass-producing 4"/4x6 than those, and set out trying different models that had Prime shipping. Thus far I have tried numerous 4" as you can see below, here is what I found before finding the EQ settings :? :

EDITED 10/17, all reviews from before finding EQ settings removed, replaced with reviews now after having tested the speakers and tweaking the EQ.

4":
Rockford Fosgate Punch P142 ~$55 - (Would not fit without physical modification, did not test sound)

JBL GTO429 $70 - (Fit) Returned to Amazon before having found EQ settings and turned the bass up, can't give an honest review.

BOSS Audio NX424 $30 (Fit) Sounded good, I think probably the most bang for your buck if on a budget, sill not satisfying for me though, although bass was good upgrade over stock

Pioneer TS-A1072R $38.50 (Fit) Sounded maybe somewhere in between the BOSS and Alpine as their price suggests. These are newest I believe from Pioneer (in this class at least) and offer upgraded performance over TS-G series. Bass was about the same level as the BOSS but with slightly more clarity maybe. I would get the BOSS if you're on a seriously tight budget, or the Alpine if you are willing to invest an extra $15, for an extra $8 these don't make much difference

Alpine Type-S SPS-410 ~$45 - (Fit) Sounded the best of all 4" speakers tested with EQ having been tweaked properly. These guys REALLY try when you have the bass pumped up in the EQ, before I found that and turned it up they sounded very meh, now they are kicking. You can get a farily serious amount of bass from these guys with proper tweaking of the EQ, and they will really start to jump before you hear any distortion. Highly reccomend if you are keeping stock speaker size.

4x6:
Pioneer TS-G4645R ~$40 - (Barely fit, only able to get 2/4 screws in) Sounded overall slightly better than stock, slightly noticeable amount more bass
Pioneer TS-A4676R $42 (Same fit as TS-G) Sounded overall slightly better than TS-G series, bass able to be turned up a bit before distortion noticeable, clarity of sound otherwise also maybe just a bit better. For the negligible difference in price, definitely opt for these over the TS-G series. Just wish I found other competitors with 4x6 offerings to compare with.

After testing all of these and trying to get as much bass as I could out of the little guys, I was reasonably satisfied with the upgraded TS-A Pioneer's in the back and the Alpine SPS series in the front, with the money I had spent being under $100 after the other were returned. But was willing to shell out a little more for some more bass. I was reading a posting back from another user who had modified the speaker cutouts to house larger speakers, I believe he went for 5.25" in the front and 6x9 in the back if I recall. On to Amazon I went, bought myself a dremmel tool and the following:

Front: 5.25" Alpine SPS-510 $49: Night and day difference over the SPS-410, while only 1.25" larger in diameter the cone on them seems much bigger and when hooked up it shows

Back: 5x7" Alpine Alpine SPS-517 $57: Again night and day, easily 200% bass output over the Pioneer 4x6 and the cone looks like it has twice as much surface area too without doing some crazy math.

When properly tweaked, the new Alpine system will produce easily 200% the amount of bass as the upgraded 4"/4x6" system. I am still feeling it out a bit, but feel very satisfied that I no longer need a sub and amp. This again is using the stock radio and wiring, with some rather extensive tweaks to the built in EQ however. The upgraded system seems to need more help producing the bass it is capable of, I have the bass set to +10, mid to -1, and treble to -10. Modifying the front cutouts was a PAIN, took several hours dremmeling, and a lot of plastic shavings everywhere, still have not finished modifying the covers to fit properly without the speakers reverberating against them. Back 5x7 didn't require too much modification, but did drill some screws through the plastic mount, so it most definitely is not for those on a lease.

Pretty sure speaker Ohms are a measure of impedance, and not resistance.
I.E. can't be measured correctly with an Ohm meter. :geek:

ee241 said:
Had my Spark EV about a month now, joined the forums just to post on this thread
4":
Alpine Type-S SPS-410 ~$45 - (Fit) Sounded the best of all 4" speakers tested with EQ having been tweaked properly. These guys REALLY try when you have the bass pumped up in the EQ, before I found that and turned it up they sounded very meh, now they are kicking. You can get a farily serious amount of bass from these guys with proper tweaking of the EQ, and they will really start to jump before you hear any distortion. Highly recommend if you are keeping stock speaker size.

4x6:
Pioneer TS-A4676R $42 (Same fit as TS-G) Sounded overall slightly better than TS-G series, bass able to be turned up a bit before distortion noticeable, clarity of sound otherwise also maybe just a bit better. For the negligible difference in price, definitely opt for these over the TS-G series. Just wish I found other competitors with 4x6 offerings to compare with.

Thank you for the recommendations! I went with the above recommended setup and am quite pleased. I did not feel as adventurous as you with modifying the cavities but am happy enough with how it went. At the end of the day, to me, the upgrade isn't an astronomic difference but there is certainly an improvement in clarity and bass and is "good enough" for me.

FWIW i did shoot a video which i plan to edit/post to YouTube to help others with the installation/try to capture sound improvement.

Back