Chevy Spark EV Forum

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Front tire life... how long did yours last?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:18 am 

MrDRMorgan wrote:
CCIE wrote:
Changed my fronts at about 17000 miles. Put on Ecopia EP422+ tires from Costco. Much better than the stock tires! I've especially noticed the improvement in slippery conditions.

Thanks for the post. I am considering replacing the front tires on my 2014 and 2015 Spark EVs with the Ecopia EP422+ too.

Note that they did take about 100 miles to settle-in. During the first 100 miles the mold-release coating made them slick.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:36 pm 

MrDRMorgan wrote:
CCIE wrote:
Changed my fronts at about 17000 miles. Put on Ecopia EP422+ tires from Costco. Much better than the stock tires! I've especially noticed the improvement in slippery conditions.

Thanks for the post. I am considering replacing the front tires on my 2014 and 2015 Spark EVs with the Ecopia EP422+ too.

I replaced the original front EP150s at around 10k mi. The rears look untouched. I went with EP422+. They seem quieter. Not too expensive. The cold weather restricts range; been seeing low 60mi GOM. Expect that warmer temps will improve that.

-Bob K.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:51 am 

The EP422+ tires one the front of my car didn't noticeably impact my range. I drive 60 miles per day, so I couldn't afford any range loss, especially in winter.

I wish I could afford some range loss so I could put snow tires on Sparkie. But, the EP422+ isn't bad in light snow. The old EP150s in front would lose all traction if the weather forecast even predicted snow. Last year I actually got stuck in the middle of my already-plowed driveway just trying to jockey Sparkie from one side of it to the other!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:18 pm 

NORTON wrote:
You may be the most fun loving owner so far !!!!

Enjoy! Tires are cheap!

I'm somewhat a disciple of NORTON when it comes to fun vs. range. I have come to appreciate the various comments about wheelspin being more easy to come by in the 30-50mph range than the 0-30mph range. Weird, but I'll take it. I still take the prize at 99 out of 100 traffic lights where I have pole position. Recently had fun showing an assertive Honda Fit that it is no match for the Spark EV. Looking at some old threads on here, it appears that 45mph is the sweet spot on my 2015, and my experience is consistent with those reports.

Predictably, my car still has the stock tires on the rear, and what I assume is set #2 on the front (Ironman Ecopia) that I hope to smoke into oblivion and replace with some Hankooks. In the grand scheme of things, tires are indeed inexpensive. I favor frugal over cheap if you get my drift.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:37 am 

charles wrote:
>...wheelspin being more easy to come by in the 30-50mph range than the 0-30mph range. Weird, but I'll take it. ...
>>...I still take the prize at 99 out of 100 traffic lights where....

> I know! It still makes me giggle! :D
>> Good on you!! 8-) I wonder how many notice the silence? :mrgreen: Most people have never heard of this little EV Hot Rod !!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:50 am 

NORTON wrote:
charles wrote:
>...wheelspin being more easy to come by in the 30-50mph range than the 0-30mph range. Weird, but I'll take it. ...

>> Good on you!! 8-) I wonder how many notice the silence? :mrgreen: Most people have never heard of this little EV Hot Rod !!

Here in Treasure Valley as you commute out of the city many of the recently widened roads taper from 4 lanes to two at intersections. They include a 2-300 yard merge beyond the intersection and rural drivers think anyone who hasn’t merged 1/2 mile before the light is cutting in line. This often leaves the right pole position vacant. Taking that right spot is an unspoken gentleman’s challenge so there is no possibility of subterfuge. I instigated such a situation Monday with a Ford Mustang. I knew I couldn’t take him but I love the lack of achievement that shows on the face of a man who had to fully tap his $40k muscle car to get a car-length win over a Chevy micro-car. So much work for a narrow win. And I am on my snow tires! I am so buying some track tires for this sled. Summer is going to be a blast!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:14 am 

Planerench wrote:
NORTON wrote:
charles wrote:

Here in Treasure Valley as you commute out of the city many of the recently widened roads taper from 4 lanes to two at intersections. They include a 2-300 yard merge beyond the intersection and rural drivers think anyone who hasn’t merged 1/2 mile before the light is cutting in line. This often leaves the right pole position vacant. Taking that right spot is an unspoken gentleman’s challenge so there is no possibility of subterfuge. I instigated such a situation Monday with a Ford Mustang. I knew I couldn’t take him but I love the lack of achievement that shows on the face of a man who had to fully tap his $40k muscle car to get a car-length win over a Chevy micro-car. So much work for a narrow win. And I am on my snow tires! I am so buying some track tires for this sled. Summer is going to be a blast!

Please keep a score card! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:10 am 

FWIW I have a 2016 Spark EV that just hit 20k last month and my front tire depth was measured to be 5/32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:59 am 

Put on the Ecopia 422+ from Costco on the front.

They are a more narrow than stock - 185/55/15 vs 195/55/15 on the original tires. Haven't noticed any big difference in handling yet... will see. In theory this should increase range a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:35 am 

Cheburashka wrote:
Put on the Ecopia 422+ from Costco on the front.

They are a more narrow than stock - 185/55/15 vs 195/55/15 on the original tires. ... In theory this should increase range a bit.

185/55-15 is the stock front tire size. Look at the door jam or the Owner's Manual.
You should now be back to the original configuration,, if the Ecopia 422+ are Low Rolling Resistance tires,, or Eco Blasters,, or Greenie Weenies or whatever they are called now.