Front tire life... how long did yours last?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suparukuibi

I've gone through two sets now. First the Bridestone Ecopia OEMs and then Michelins. Both pretty much are dead at the 12k-13k mark.

I've seen a few posts of people expecting 12k, and other spark/fiat forums have said about 12-15k too.

What is everyone getting?

I'm at 16.5 k miles and still have some tread left on the original tires but most of my driving is a 72 mile daily work commute.

i cant wait for my front tires to go so I can buy some real higher speed rated tires from Walmart. what do you guys think of these: 55 a piece https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kumho-ECSTA-PS31-P18555R15-82V-Tires/52129669 it has a V speed rating which is up to 149 mph.

suparukuibi said:
I've gone through two sets now. First the Bridestone Ecopia OEMs and then Michelins. Both pretty much are dead at the 12k-13k mark.

I've seen a few posts of people expecting 12k, and other spark/fiat forums have said about 12-15k too.

What is everyone getting?

2015 Spark EV with 25,000 miles on original front and rear tires. I still have 5/32-inch tread depth remaining on the front tires.

HERE IS SOME ADDITIONAL INFO FOR MY 3 SPARK EVs:

YEAR____ODO__ DSF__PSF__DSR__PSR
2014___12503___5____4____9_____9
2015___25048___5____5____8_____9
2016____7866___6____6____9_____9

All mesurements are in 32nds of an inch.

The 2014 was purchased used with 1500 miles on the ODO
The 2015 was leased new.
The 2016 was purchased used with 6700 miles on the ODO with obvious wear on the front tires.

Given the better results for the 2015, I believe both the 2014 and the 2016 were probably driven hard prior to my purchasing them. Early historical OnStar mpge data for the 2014 and 2016 would tend to support my assumption.

I got about 26k miles before actually replacing the front tires (though probably about 4k of that was on some Yoko S's). I originally bought some General Altimax's but never installed them after reading so many reviews on these Antares tires from Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Antares-Ingens-A1-Tire-185-55R15-82V/55692727

My requirements for a replacement tire was quietness, impact on range, costs, and tire life. So far, the Antares has been just as quiet as the Bridgestone's if not more quiet (no road hum) and the traction has been excellent. I scooted fairly easily (no grip issue) in some heavy rain from a stop and there's just no squirming like I had on the Bridgestones'. Range has suffered a little but that is likely due to the tire not being worn in yet, the winter cold we're getting now, and the rain requiring defrost, etc. Last summer I was regularly getting 102 miles range after fully charged; we'll see what we get this summer.

Changed my fronts at about 17000 miles. Put on Ecopia EP422+ tires from Costco. Much better than the stock tires! I've especially noticed the improvement in slippery conditions.

CCIE said:
Changed my fronts at about 17000 miles. Put on Ecopia EP422+ tires from Costco. Much better than the stock tires! I've especially noticed the improvement in slippery conditions.

Thanks for the post. I am considering replacing the front tires on my 2014 and 2015 Spark EVs with the Ecopia EP422+ too.

MrDRMorgan said:
CCIE said:

Thanks for the post. I am considering replacing the front tires on my 2014 and 2015 Spark EVs with the Ecopia EP422+ too.

Note that they did take about 100 miles to settle-in. During the first 100 miles the mold-release coating made them slick.

MrDRMorgan said:
CCIE said:

I replaced the original front EP150s at around 10k mi. The rears look untouched. I went with EP422+. They seem quieter. Not too expensive. The cold weather restricts range; been seeing low 60mi GOM. Expect that warmer temps will improve that.

-Bob K.

The EP422+ tires one the front of my car didn't noticeably impact my range. I drive 60 miles per day, so I couldn't afford any range loss, especially in winter.

I wish I could afford some range loss so I could put snow tires on Sparkie. But, the EP422+ isn't bad in light snow. The old EP150s in front would lose all traction if the weather forecast even predicted snow. Last year I actually got stuck in the middle of my already-plowed driveway just trying to jockey Sparkie from one side of it to the other!

NORTON said:
You may be the most fun loving owner so far !!!!

Enjoy! Tires are cheap!
I'm somewhat a disciple of NORTON when it comes to fun vs. range. I have come to appreciate the various comments about wheelspin being more easy to come by in the 30-50mph range than the 0-30mph range. Weird, but I'll take it. I still take the prize at 99 out of 100 traffic lights where I have pole position. Recently had fun showing an assertive Honda Fit that it is no match for the Spark EV. Looking at some old threads on here, it appears that 45mph is the sweet spot on my 2015, and my experience is consistent with those reports.

Predictably, my car still has the stock tires on the rear, and what I assume is set #2 on the front (Ironman Ecopia) that I hope to smoke into oblivion and replace with some Hankooks. In the grand scheme of things, tires are indeed inexpensive. I favor frugal over cheap if you get my drift.

charles said:
>...wheelspin being more easy to come by in the 30-50mph range than the 0-30mph range. Weird, but I'll take it. ...
>>...I still take the prize at 99 out of 100 traffic lights where....
> I know! It still makes me giggle! :D
>> Good on you!! :cool: I wonder how many notice the silence? :mrgreen: Most people have never heard of this little EV Hot Rod !!

NORTON said:
charles said:
>...wheelspin being more easy to come by in the 30-50mph range than the 0-30mph range. Weird, but I'll take it. ...
>> Good on you!! :cool: I wonder how many notice the silence? :mrgreen: Most people have never heard of this little EV Hot Rod !!
Here in Treasure Valley as you commute out of the city many of the recently widened roads taper from 4 lanes to two at intersections. They include a 2-300 yard merge beyond the intersection and rural drivers think anyone who hasn’t merged 1/2 mile before the light is cutting in line. This often leaves the right pole position vacant. Taking that right spot is an unspoken gentleman’s challenge so there is no possibility of subterfuge. I instigated such a situation Monday with a Ford Mustang. I knew I couldn’t take him but I love the lack of achievement that shows on the face of a man who had to fully tap his $40k muscle car to get a car-length win over a Chevy micro-car. So much work for a narrow win. And I am on my snow tires! I am so buying some track tires for this sled. Summer is going to be a blast!

Planerench said:
NORTON said:
charles said:
Here in Treasure Valley as you commute out of the city many of the recently widened roads taper from 4 lanes to two at intersections. They include a 2-300 yard merge beyond the intersection and rural drivers think anyone who hasn’t merged 1/2 mile before the light is cutting in line. This often leaves the right pole position vacant. Taking that right spot is an unspoken gentleman’s challenge so there is no possibility of subterfuge. I instigated such a situation Monday with a Ford Mustang. I knew I couldn’t take him but I love the lack of achievement that shows on the face of a man who had to fully tap his $40k muscle car to get a car-length win over a Chevy micro-car. So much work for a narrow win. And I am on my snow tires! I am so buying some track tires for this sled. Summer is going to be a blast!
Please keep a score card! :lol:

Put on the Ecopia 422+ from Costco on the front.

They are a more narrow than stock - 185/55/15 vs 195/55/15 on the original tires. Haven't noticed any big difference in handling yet... will see. In theory this should increase range a bit.

Cheburashka said:
Put on the Ecopia 422+ from Costco on the front.

They are a more narrow than stock - 185/55/15 vs 195/55/15 on the original tires. ... In theory this should increase range a bit.
185/55-15 is the stock front tire size. Look at the door jam or the Owner's Manual.
You should now be back to the original configuration,, if the Ecopia 422+ are Low Rolling Resistance tires,, or Eco Blasters,, or Greenie Weenies or whatever they are called now.

Back