Chevy Spark EV Forum

It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Any Spark EV Owners in North Carolina?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:09 pm 

NORTON wrote:
Or tow it home with an SUV and a rented one-way dolly from U-Haul for $120.

... It's not that price in my area. The cost of insured transport to get the car to me was worth letting a car shipper handle the transport versus wasting my time on traveling to retrieve the car.

B

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:36 pm 

...and Evie is here. My wife really likes her new scooter car - I like the free daily recharging!

bnc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:05 pm 

Congrats! Make sure she understands that too much fun accelerating means more tire wear.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:48 pm 

I live in South Carolina, but commute 63 mile round trip M-F to Mt Holly (West of Charlotte, NC). I just got my 2015 2LT mid January delivered by Carvana. Other than some minor issues and a couple chilly drives (due to uncertainty of range), I like the car a lot.

I too am curious how many Spark EV owners there are in the area. I hope South Carolina (or any state for that matter) doesn't adopt anti EV road use taxes like Georgia and Virginia have.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:30 pm 

TheLondonBroiler wrote:
I live in South Carolina, but commute 63 mile round trip M-F to Mt Holly (West of Charlotte, NC). I just got my 2015 2LT mid January delivered by Carvana. Other than some minor issues and a couple chilly drives (due to uncertainty of range), I like the car a lot.

I too am curious how many Spark EV owners there are in the area. I hope South Carolina (or any state for that matter) doesn't adopt anti EV road use taxes like Georgia and Virginia have.

Now if you could just convince your employer to let you plug in at work ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:46 pm 

SparkE wrote:

Now if you could just convince your employer to let you plug in at work ...

Act of congress my friend. Prior to purchase (10 months ago or so) I spoke to: Head of HR, Environmental Services Manager/Engineer, and Union Reps. All seemed less than interested. Since my purchase, I have again spoken (a week ago) to the Environmental Services Engineer, and mentioned that he could submit a proposal to Electrify America and probably get a free charging station installed. He said MAYBE they could just put a 110 outlet in the parking lot.... I have since spoken to a maintenance electrician, who said the parking lot lights are 90% likely powered by 480v...... Gee, maybe they'll spring for a DCFC. There's a DCFC halfway on my commute in Dallas, NC, but it has a broken screen and has failed in different ways both times I tried to use it (fortunately I didn't really need to charge). I'm playing the waiting game meow. Wish me luck I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:15 pm 

Geez - there's NO 120V socket in the parking lot?!!? Just plugging in your default EVSE at 12amps would give you 8-10 kWh over a work-day. Heck, HALF a work day would keep you well inside in the comfort zone for not worrying about running out of electrons.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:19 am 

London, I think I've piped up in other threads, but I'm in Charlotte. I've seen 2 other Spark EVs here, although only 1 other is registered in the county.

So... there are dozens of us!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:18 pm 

Sweet man. I saw a Spark on Plug Share, check in at the Lenoir dcfc, which I figure is the person who bought the one I test drove in Morganton.

I stop by the free AAA Green Lots on South Blvd when I find myself close to the city (since I live ~40 miles away). I'm wondering if since the Chevy dealer on South Blvd now sells Bolts, if they have installed a DCFC (I believe this is now mandated by GM? I know Everett Chevy in Hickory has one now (I believe it's a 25kw wall unit)), Lord knows if they weren't being forced to spend ~$9k(retail) on a charger, they probably wouldn't. I might wander over there tomorrow or Sunday and snoop it out if I get the chance.

Loaf wrote:
only 1 other is registered in the county.

How did you find this out?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:46 pm 

According to PlugShare, Everett Chevy in Hickory does have one now, and it is a 60A (24 kW) unit, and it appears to be free. PlugShare comments imply the dealership is real nice about using it - make sure to leave a comment when/if you use it.

The ChargePoint app shows a free 50 kW charger in Lenoir as well as two free chargers (24 kW) in Greer, SC.