Any Spark EV Owners in North Carolina?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

didget69

First Post:

I'm new to the forum & have been seriously considering the purchase of a 2014 or 2015 Spark EV... but I am concerned about after purchase
servicing here in North Carolina on said wee beastie.

Any NC (or VA/SC owners) that can offer any information would be appreciated -

bryan

It has been suggested to others in locations where the Spark ev isn't marketed that they check with local Chevy dealers before purchasing. I believe for the most part any dealer that services the Volt can service the Spark ev.
Good luck to you. I think it would be cool to have the only one around.

Update:

Called my local Chevrolet dealership (family-owned, has been in area since 1928) Service Department - Svc Writer said that he did not see any reason why the car could not be serviced locally.

Okay.

bryan

Okay. Status update...

Had a fun weekend road trip - took a dive into the deep end of the EV pool & purchased a 'basically new' 2015 Blue Spark EV with DCFC... Only 178 Miles on the odometer - :mrgreen:

The car is scheduled to ship from MD to NC shortly - we're looking forward to possibly having the first one in NC... much like "NORTON" here on the forum, we feel like we'll be pioneers in the Mid-Atlantic area. :cool:

...and the deal clincher in this purchasing process was that the Primary Driver of 'Evie' (my Wife has already named her new car) works at an office where the Level 2 charging is free; and a CCS charging station (if required in a pinch) is ~2 miles from our house.

Spark EV FTW! :cool:

Bryan

Nearest Level 3 combo charger to me is in Canada. Next closest are Indianapolis and Chicago. Zero in Michigan unless GM has some that they didn't tell Chargepoint about.

But if I buy a Spark without DCFC, I just know they'll start popping up within 100 miles of me in the next 2-3 years and I'll wish I could use them.

Hey Taxman! Check the PlugShare.com website. Not a ton of CCS DCFC, but some: Ann Arbor, Brighton, Canton, Livonia, Sterling Heights, and Ferndale.

(Used to live in Ann Arbor, and was contemplating a trip from MD back home. Baltimore to Pittsburgh is still the problem!)

I live in CT and would like to do something very similar to you. Could you give me a rough idea of what the vehicle and shipping cost you for your nearly new Spark EV, as it could be a great guide for me (I'm a bad price haggler). I tried to get a dealer in MD to sell me a new one over the net but they said I had to have a MD residence to buy one. I presume that doesn't apply for used vehicles?
Phil

didget69 said:
Okay. Status update...

Had a fun weekend road trip - took a dive into the deep end of the EV pool & purchased a 'basically new' 2015 Blue Spark EV with DCFC... Only 178 Miles on the odometer - :mrgreen:

The car is scheduled to ship from MD to NC shortly - we're looking forward to possibly having the first one in NC... much like "NORTON" here on the forum, we feel like we'll be pioneers in the Mid-Atlantic area. :cool:

...and the deal clincher in this purchasing process was that the Primary Driver of 'Evie' (my Wife has already named her new car) works at an office where the Level 2 charging is free; and a CCS charging station (if required in a pinch) is ~2 miles from our house.

Spark EV FTW! :cool:

Bryan

PhilPen said:
I live in CT and would like to do something very similar to you. Could you give me a rough idea of what the vehicle and shipping cost you for your nearly new Spark EV, as it could be a great guide for me (I'm a bad price haggler). I tried to get a dealer in MD to sell me a new one over the net but they said I had to have a MD residence to buy one. I presume that doesn't apply for used vehicles?
Phil

Phil:

Anyone, anywhere can purchase a used Spark EV. Shipping from MD to NC was ~ $450.

Bryan

NORTON said:
Or tow it home with an SUV and a rented one-way dolly from U-Haul for $120.

... It's not that price in my area. The cost of insured transport to get the car to me was worth letting a car shipper handle the transport versus wasting my time on traveling to retrieve the car.

B

I live in South Carolina, but commute 63 mile round trip M-F to Mt Holly (West of Charlotte, NC). I just got my 2015 2LT mid January delivered by Carvana. Other than some minor issues and a couple chilly drives (due to uncertainty of range), I like the car a lot.

I too am curious how many Spark EV owners there are in the area. I hope South Carolina (or any state for that matter) doesn't adopt anti EV road use taxes like Georgia and Virginia have.

TheLondonBroiler said:
I live in South Carolina, but commute 63 mile round trip M-F to Mt Holly (West of Charlotte, NC). I just got my 2015 2LT mid January delivered by Carvana. Other than some minor issues and a couple chilly drives (due to uncertainty of range), I like the car a lot.

I too am curious how many Spark EV owners there are in the area. I hope South Carolina (or any state for that matter) doesn't adopt anti EV road use taxes like Georgia and Virginia have.

Now if you could just convince your employer to let you plug in at work ...

SparkE said:
Now if you could just convince your employer to let you plug in at work ...

Act of congress my friend. Prior to purchase (10 months ago or so) I spoke to: Head of HR, Environmental Services Manager/Engineer, and Union Reps. All seemed less than interested. Since my purchase, I have again spoken (a week ago) to the Environmental Services Engineer, and mentioned that he could submit a proposal to Electrify America and probably get a free charging station installed. He said MAYBE they could just put a 110 outlet in the parking lot.... I have since spoken to a maintenance electrician, who said the parking lot lights are 90% likely powered by 480v...... Gee, maybe they'll spring for a DCFC. There's a DCFC halfway on my commute in Dallas, NC, but it has a broken screen and has failed in different ways both times I tried to use it (fortunately I didn't really need to charge). I'm playing the waiting game meow. Wish me luck I guess.

Geez - there's NO 120V socket in the parking lot?!!? Just plugging in your default EVSE at 12amps would give you 8-10 kWh over a work-day. Heck, HALF a work day would keep you well inside in the comfort zone for not worrying about running out of electrons.

London, I think I've piped up in other threads, but I'm in Charlotte. I've seen 2 other Spark EVs here, although only 1 other is registered in the county.

So... there are dozens of us!

Sweet man. I saw a Spark on Plug Share, check in at the Lenoir dcfc, which I figure is the person who bought the one I test drove in Morganton.

I stop by the free AAA Green Lots on South Blvd when I find myself close to the city (since I live ~40 miles away). I'm wondering if since the Chevy dealer on South Blvd now sells Bolts, if they have installed a DCFC (I believe this is now mandated by GM? I know Everett Chevy in Hickory has one now (I believe it's a 25kw wall unit)), Lord knows if they weren't being forced to spend ~$9k(retail) on a charger, they probably wouldn't. I might wander over there tomorrow or Sunday and snoop it out if I get the chance.

Loaf said:
only 1 other is registered in the county.

How did you find this out?

According to PlugShare, Everett Chevy in Hickory does have one now, and it is a 60A (24 kW) unit, and it appears to be free. PlugShare comments imply the dealership is real nice about using it - make sure to leave a comment when/if you use it.

The ChargePoint app shows a free 50 kW charger in Lenoir as well as two free chargers (24 kW) in Greer, SC.

Back