putting a harbor freight gen on a rack in the back

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buscemi

I was wondering if anyone has used a 900 watt harbor freight generator on a rack in the back. It holds one gallon and is a two stroke. they have two year warranties that are excellent. I believe this will extend the range greatly. Rvs can run a generator while driving why cant you guys. buy an agm battery charger for 24 volts. Any thoughts?

the 900 watt gens do put out a modified sine wave at 120 volt. I use it canping and charge my batteries which are the agm johnson and johnson 12volts by autozone. Or if you are moving the charging station shuts the engine down. Now thats a mod a hotrodder need to fix... change the code to accept charge while moving. Think survival and you will be amazed what newwas you can extend the range.

Even if you could have a charger cord plugged in while driving,,,,

900 WATTS ??? 0.9kW ???

What will that do for the car. Try driving at an indicated 1kW.

And if you plan on stinking up and making noise at a camp ground (2 cycle), 900 watts is less than the Default L1 charge level of 8 Amps.
L1 @ 8A = 960 watts. L1 @ 12A = 1440 watts.

And as far as square wave, modified sine wave or 'pure sine' generators,,, I'm not experimenting. You first !! ;)
Not sure what you are saying about a 24 V battery. You can plug in your camping 'deep cycle' battery to the car and charge it while you drive to the camp site.
But that doesn't make sense with an 80 mile BEV. I understand using a 12V battery while 'car camping'. A fan, a cpap and some lights makes for a good time!

There's an old thread here about someone with a 3500 watt generator in the back of a Spark EV....
Volts are getting very affordable if you really want a PHEV.

Browsing on my smartphone, print is small, thought I read "GUN" rack in the back and thought to myself, OMG WTF. The generator idea is just as bad in my opinion, but not nearly as comical.

TheLondonBroiler said:
Browsing on my smartphone, print is small, thought I read "GUN" rack in the back and thought to myself, OMG WTF. The generator idea is just as bad in my opinion, but not nearly as comical.

I read it the same way on my phone. But I'm in Texas so I chuckled but didn't think it was that odd that someone asked.

buscemi said:
I was wondering if anyone has used a 900 watt harbor freight generator on a rack in the back. It holds one gallon and is a two stroke. they have two year warranties that are excellent. I believe this will extend the range greatly. Rvs can run a generator while driving why cant you guys. buy an agm battery charger for 24 volts. Any thoughts?

I considered a generator and batteries because the softball field we drive to was 90 miles roundtrip. But it's really not optimal. A generator compromises space and charges too slow to be useful in most situations. Batteries add too much weight and are expensive.

If range is that much of a concern a PHEV would be a better solution, as one of the other posters suggested.

Back