Chevy Spark EV Forum

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Asymmetric seat-back pockets?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:02 pm 

Hi everyone,

New (to me) Spark EV owner here. I'm enjoying the car so far, but just today noticed what seems like a slightly strange feature: The passenger seat has a seat-back pocket behind it (i.e. in front of the right rear seat), but the driver's seat does not.

This doesn't really matter to me - this is a 2nd family vehicle, primarily for my solo commute with no particular use for either 1 OR 2 seat-back pockets - but it just seems aesthetically odd.

Does anybody know if there is a substantive reason for this? Is there something about the driver's seat that structurally makes adding a pocket behind less feasible? Or is this just a marginal cost-saving choice?

Post subject: Re: Asymmetric seat-back pockets?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:34 pm 

oaklandish wrote:
Hi everyone,

New (to me) Spark EV owner here. I'm enjoying the car so far, but just today noticed what seems like a slightly strange feature: The passenger seat has a seat-back pocket behind it (i.e. in front of the right rear seat), but the driver's seat does not.

This doesn't really matter to me - this is a 2nd family vehicle, primarily for my solo commute with no particular use for either 1 OR 2 seat-back pockets - but it just seems aesthetically odd.

Does anybody know if there is a substantive reason for this? Is there something about the driver's seat that structurally makes adding a pocket behind less feasible? Or is this just a marginal cost-saving choice?

There is actually a reasonable explanation and I'd say you were about half-way there when you guessed cost. The other half of the equation is that only a very small portion of humanity is double-jointed meaning the driver - who is most often the only person in the car - can reach the pocket in the back of the passenger seat but cannot reach behind his or her seat ... usually. So my guess is this just a pocket for the driver's use.

neomaxcom