Asymmetric seat-back pockets?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oaklandish

Hi everyone,

New (to me) Spark EV owner here. I'm enjoying the car so far, but just today noticed what seems like a slightly strange feature: The passenger seat has a seat-back pocket behind it (i.e. in front of the right rear seat), but the driver's seat does not.

This doesn't really matter to me - this is a 2nd family vehicle, primarily for my solo commute with no particular use for either 1 OR 2 seat-back pockets - but it just seems aesthetically odd.

Does anybody know if there is a substantive reason for this? Is there something about the driver's seat that structurally makes adding a pocket behind less feasible? Or is this just a marginal cost-saving choice?

oaklandish said:
Hi everyone,

New (to me) Spark EV owner here. I'm enjoying the car so far, but just today noticed what seems like a slightly strange feature: The passenger seat has a seat-back pocket behind it (i.e. in front of the right rear seat), but the driver's seat does not.

This doesn't really matter to me - this is a 2nd family vehicle, primarily for my solo commute with no particular use for either 1 OR 2 seat-back pockets - but it just seems aesthetically odd.

Does anybody know if there is a substantive reason for this? Is there something about the driver's seat that structurally makes adding a pocket behind less feasible? Or is this just a marginal cost-saving choice?

There is actually a reasonable explanation and I'd say you were about half-way there when you guessed cost. The other half of the equation is that only a very small portion of humanity is double-jointed meaning the driver - who is most often the only person in the car - can reach the pocket in the back of the passenger seat but cannot reach behind his or her seat ... usually. So my guess is this just a pocket for the driver's use.

neomaxcom

Back