How fast can a Spark EV go in reverse?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neomaxcom

Seriously, what software limits are built into the Spark EV in reverse mode?

We know the spark ev finds 'reverse' by changing the way electricity is routed to the electric motor - it reverses polarity and the whole motor just spins backwards.

But were all the software limits that exist, such as torque limiting or even the governed top speed implemented in reverse?

I honestly don't know and just had the thought that if the engineers wanted to create a relatively obtuse route to unleash the full performance potential of the Spark EV, they might not implement all the limiting software when the vehicle is in reverse. Either that or they would do the same limiting software.

If they did the same limiting software and you were really good at driving in reverse, you could probably win some sucker races as I don't know any ICE super car that would go 0-60 in 7.4 seconds in reverse and hit a top speed of 90mph in reverse.

Maybe someone has tested this?

You first !!! :D

And be sure to have several videos going!

I remember reading about a Porsche 928 automatic with the hatch propped open for a better view out the back winning a Reverse Race.
I'm not looking that up. Maybe I made that up. Is there such a thing?

NORTON said:
You first !!! :D

And be sure to have several videos going!

I remember reading about a Porsche 928 automatic with the hatch propped open for a better view out the back winning a Reverse Race.
I'm not looking that up. Maybe I made that up. Is there such a thing?

Well, if I have to go first, I suppose I could. I was rather notorious for such silliness about 50 years ago, having set the record for driving around the local drive-in cafe in reverse back in the day.

I just assumed that some of the hot rodders would be intrigued enough to actually 'do it first' ... probably on a dyno.

I mean we all know that in forward position a whole host of governors are placed on the sparke ... but these are software limits. As the owner of an early production model, the idea that programmers didn't get around to writing or instituting the code is, while remote, possible. After all the Sparke was the first GM EV since the EV1 in the 1990s ...

And consider that the programming crew may have even had a sense of humor. I.e. no limits and all you need to do to release the monster within is reverse the polarity at the motor :)

Agreed, not likely, but I'm just asking the question.

neomaxcom said:
...Well, if I have to go first, I suppose I could. I was rather notorious for such silliness about 50 years ago,

... is reverse the polarity at the motor :) .
Go for it !! You got another good 50 left in you !! Videos !

And technically it's changing the phasing on the 3 phase AC motor.

And I'm not BS'ing about the 928. It was in an April issue of Road & Track, I think.
The hatch was just propped open a foot or so to give better visibility and the automatic gave great gearing for reverse speed runs!

I'll look for it sometime....

Back