Bolt/Spark Battery Swap?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnCowboy9

I have been think about what it would take to get the battery Pack from a salvaged Bolt and put them in my Spark. Think about it, They are both 3.75V cells and 400V Motors. But he Amp Hours for my Sparks cells are 27 and the Bolts are 55. If you could fit even half the Battery pack into the spark you'd probably more than double your range.
Just a thought. Here is the article I read that got me thinking of making a LONG range Spark... :lol:

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/09/03/chevy-bolt-chevy-spark-ev-battery-packs-compare-one-another/

Half that pack would be half the voltage, unless you took apart every cell group, reengineered the BMS and TMS and all the SW related to the drive system and charge system.
The full size pack is too wide and long to place within the cabin of the Spark, so.....

You've seen the pictures of the Bolt pack, so....
Mount that big ol'pack on a roof rack!!

Two bigazz wires, two coolant hoses, some smaller wires connecting the pack to the car's systems and Bob's Your Uncle!!
Should be easy !!!

NORTON said:
Half that pack would be half the voltage, unless you took apart every cell group, reengineered the BMS and TMS and all the SW related to the drive system and charge system.
The full size pack is too wide and long to place within the cabin of the Spark, so.....

You've seen the pictures of the Bolt pack, so....
Mount that big ol'pack on a roof rack!!

Two bigazz wires, two coolant hoses, some smaller wires connecting the pack to the car's systems and Bob's Your Uncle!!
Should be easy !!!

I was thinking more along the lines of strapping the pack to the bottom, somehow extending the hubs and.......monster truck tires! How could it not work?!? There's not much a few million dollars and unlimited highly skilled labor can't accomplish.

-End joking along with Norton.
-
Begin response to thread author.

It's nice to dream once in a while, but having realistic expectations is always good. I've seen the entire guts of a leaf put into a vw bus, including battery, but it had the space to accommodate. The spark ain't got the space without making it a 2 seater, redesigning the battery enclosure, modifying the suspension, and software.

I think we can realistically hope for someone incorporating near identical pouch cells with greater density, essentially rebuilding a pack with 24kwh usable energy. Even that, is likely never to happen, but I could be wrong.

TheLondonBroiler said:
-End joking along with Norton. ..
Agreed.
I was always considering an EV conversion since before there were factory made EV's.
At some point I realized there was no way to even buy the parts to do a conversion for less than buying a used Spark EV.
EV heat! EV efficient AC. Onstar communication with the car. No EV conversions have these things.
(I owned a Volt along the way.)
Plus how many EV conversions have full TMS to heat and cool the battery pack?
I'm afraid the days of backyard EV tinkerers is over....

I want to scrap the spark and put the entire system into something really cool like a delorean!

I think we can realistically hope for someone incorporating near identical pouch cells with greater density, essentially rebuilding a pack with 24kwh usable energy. Even that, is likely never to happen, but I could be wrong.

NOW that would be nice, a spark with just a better battery in same space as current battery, like 24kwh, or dare to dream to 30kwh??

If you find a way let me know. I love the spark EV and would love it even more with a 200 mile range!

If we get a few users together maybe we can hire a 'fabricator' to do it?

I'm at 30,000 miles with my 2014 L2. No sign of diminished capacity Would love to drvie my Spark
forever. I'm on the list for a T3 but I really don't need the T's added cost if I can get added range
in the Spark for about $6000. Might be doable in a few years...it will be a good business down the road
I think...but so many warranty issues...needs to come from the OEM...fat chance of the ICE companies
really going in on EVs for another decade...

If solid state batteries ever get ramped-up to mass production it just may be doable.... Just need the battery & maybe some software and the spark will be doing 180+ miles easy.

NORTON said:
I'm afraid the days of backyard EV tinkerers is over....

There were a couple of "home-mades" at the National Drive Electric Week show I attended last Sept, along with my Spark, numerous Teslas - 100+ EVs there.

And I still mess around with my 'Lectric Leopard; changed the 6V golf cart batteries to 12 volt AGMs, upgraded relays, tires, brakes, and it still runs - how many EVs have a 4-speed manual with clutch? When we get the 200 mile Spark battery, I can swap out the 12V batteries for my current Spark battery .... :)

chevrolet-bolt-powertrain-2_002.jpg

1) Volt gen1
2) Volt gen 2
3) Spark EV gen 2
4) Bolt gen 1

The bolt battery only weighs 300lbs more over the spark battery. It can be done and at someone someone will certainly do it. Others have already modded the suspension and that's half the battle but by then maybe I can find a used bolt ev for $7500 like my spark lol!

Take the Bolt battery pack, make it the base of a trailer, wire it in parallel (assuming output is the same and only aH is different), and off you go. You wouldn’t even need to reprogram the computer. Ranges might be off, but it’s already a GOM.

Or take the bolt battery and shove it into an old body on frame sports car with the Spark or Bolt drivetrain. Stabilitrak may not work right wth the new geometry, but the car should still run. Plus, you would get something that is actually a little aero.

funny i was looking to do the same thing with my spark
i feel like its possible. chevy are gonna cut corners when it comes to engines and etc. also i been looking at how the current battery is place and judging by the size i have a feeling that the bolt battery will actually fit.

Sparky650 said:
..... i have a feeling that the bolt battery will actually fit.
When you buy a Bolt battery, wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to buy the whole Bolt and drive it the way it is?
Used ones are out there and getting cheaper everyday!

Back