anybody have the "service vehicle soon light" come on?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CSW

One of my Sparks had the "service vehicle soon" light come on in the gauge cluster. Car has like 9000 miles on it and seems to be doing fine. I have no idea why it came on. It is the car symbol with the "!" on it. Manual says I should take the car to the dealer to have it checked out...... I would rather not go there if I don't absolutely have to. My other Spark that has almost 30000 miles on it has never had that light come on..... Anybody else have this light come on? Any fixes? Thanks.

Press the Blue Onstar button. Ask them to read the fault code to you in English and the code number.
If it is something about 'High Voltage charging system...', forget about it.

If the power grid in your neighborhood has a slight glitch, (lightening last night?) while charging you might get a certain fault code.
It goes away on its on after 2-3 full charge cycles.

To feel better about it, pop the hood and check the coolant levels. Top up the windshield washer!

Light went off on its own after about a day and a half. My fav kinda problem... the one that solves itself! Thanks for the info. I am glad I don't have to go to the dealer.

CSW said:
Light went off on its own after about a day and a half. My fav kinda problem... the one that solves itself! Thanks for the info. I am glad I don't have to go to the dealer.
That Blue Button is a free service. Why go somewhere to have a code read off to you when you can talk to a nice person while sitting in your car, even while driving to work.
Although, it would be nice if you wrote the code number down to share with us geeks!

The first time my SVS light came on I pushed the Blue Button and had them run a diagnostics on the car remotely. It came back clean and so they recommended I take it to a dealer. The next day the light was out.

So it seems there is more logic behind the light than with OBD-II cars from years past.

NORTON said:
That Blue Button is a free service. Why go somewhere to have a code read off to you when you can talk to a nice person while sitting in your car, even while driving to work.
Although, it would be nice if you wrote the code number down to share with us geeks!

I get free OnStar service for 3 months. Would I still be able to communicate with the OnStar rep when the trial plan runs out and when its downgraded to Basic?

Josy said:
....I get free OnStar service for 3 months. Would I still be able to communicate with the OnStar rep when the trial plan runs out ...

There is only one full proof way to find out !!

Edit: Are you sure you don't get onstar for "3 years Free' ?

After attempting to charge DCFC at San Clemente eVgo EVPump (not ABB), I got check engine light, and it refused to charge. I called OnStar, and she told me it's high voltage battery failed to charge / fast charge not working. She said to take it to dealer, but nearest dealer was 30 miles away while I only had 18 miles left. There's no L2 at this location.

There's another charger (ABB) in Mission Viejo about 12 miles away. I went there and I was able to charge, despite the check engine light. After charging, I let the car sit for an hour or so, and the light went away.

Lessons:

1. Be careful with these EVPump chargers

2. Calling OnStar will tell you the reason for light (and big brother knows where you are)

3. Some check engine light goes away after some time.

First time I tried charging the Spark was at a Charge point fast charger. It gave an error and a day later my exclamation mark is still on.

Fast and regular charging both work as they should, but the person at OnStar said I have to take it to the dealer to reset.

Cheburashka said:
First time I tried charging the Spark was at a Charge point fast charger. It gave an error and a day later my exclamation mark is still on.

Fast and regular charging both work as they should, but the person at OnStar said I have to take it to the dealer to reset.

Relax, let go through 2 or 3 full charges. I'll bet that CEL light goes away on it's own.

Personally, I would take a picture of the screen capturing the image of the mileage and error and take it and the car to the dealer. Even if they do nothing your documentation might be useful if the electrical/charging/whatever system fails later, in or out of warranty. If it were a lease I'd go with what NORTON said.
Keep in mind that Chevys as a group are not known for their reliability.
Cheers, good luck!

Had the Service Vehicle Soon light issue 2 days ago - came on after stopping DCFC using the key fob (somewhere between 60-80% charged). Cleared itself overnight (not plugged, just parked in driveway). Didn't think to pull the codes, but I'm guessing something about interrupting the handshake between the car and charging station (EVgo) throws a code. But then you'd think the SAE Combo manufacturers would have worked that out before rolling out the technology, wouldn't you? :roll:

At the beginning of December last year, I had the "Service Vehicle Soon" [Check Engine Light] go on in my 2015 Spark EV. I could not reset the light through the OBDII port so I took the car to the dealer. The dealer reported there was a problem with the DCFC charge port control module and had to order one. I was told the DCFC would not work until the module was replaced. The dealer also said the 120 / 240 volt charging port would work. Strange thing was, when I got the car back, I immediately drove to my local DCFC. Guess What! The DCFC worked fine and the "Service Vehicle Soon" light was out. 6 weeks later the replacement part arrived and I had it installed. So far, everything has been working fine. However, what I did notice is my average calculated battery capacity had dropped almost 1.5 kWh after I got the car back and it has remained at the lower level - 15.9 kWh - since then. I wonder if the "Service Vehicle Soon" light was really indicating a module in the HV battery was failing or had failed? I have not had any more "Service Vehicle Soon" light episodes since the DCFC charging module was replaced.

EDIT: Regardless, my lease for my 2015 Spark EV 2 LT is up at the end of May. The car will be returned early to my local Chevy Dealer on Tuesday as I will be out of state when the actual lease expiration date is reached. Whoever purchases this car will be getting a very nice vehicle that has had nothing but TLC. Even with the possibility of a dead HV battery module, the car still returns a full-charge GOM value of 90 miles. But, I am not sad to let it go - I still have a 2014 Spark EV 2LT and a 2016 Spark EV 2LT that are both mine to play with.

MrDRMorgan said:
I wonder if the "Service Vehicle Soon" light was really indicating a module in the HV battery had failed? I have not had any more "Service Vehicle Soon" light episodes since the module was replaced.

I would be my suspicion as well. I have very little trust in dealers.

I had the check engine light flash on December 26 last year. I had the day off and the car was 6 months old and under warranty (bought a new 2015 in July 2017 for a song) so I just went right to the dealer. They were able to see that the check engine light was told to turn on, but not WHY it was told that. Light went off after they cleared it. They couldn’t get it to turn on again. Got my car back with a ‘sorry we didn’t do anything’ and the light came on the next day. Took it back for another round, still nothing. Ultimately nothing has changed and the light hasn’t come back on. So, yay?

Back