Chevy Spark EV Forum

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Chevy Bolt issues?
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:57 pm 

I keep reading about the shut down issues with the Bolt battery. They r doing another recall on some of the cars. Why r our cars so problem free if the Bolt came afterwards. We were the guinea pig for the Bolt. I feel lucky our cars r so good.

Post subject: Re: Chevy Bolt issues?
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:10 am 

There is a similiar software updates for our Spark EVs to correct incorrect SOC readings. It came out last year and they sent letters to all known owners. I think it only impacted 2015/16.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:11 am 

Agree !

Puzzling. :?

And the Bolt won't hit the battery with the full 50kW during the 80% DCFC charge cycle. It does some crazy throttling down. I don't like that about the Bolt. (one of the reasons I'm waiting...)
Was that a lesson learned from the Spark EV??? :?:

I got a call from my dealer about an outstanding recall, the one about the GOM.
Mine is fine, so I told her I was declining to have it performed,, for now. I wonder if it would help with below?

I had an issue pop up again yesterday during an early morning airport run. (3:30 wake up... :cry: )
I stopped at a DCFC up by the airport for the return trip. I was just on the margin of making the round trip, without it, now that spring is here.
The typical 10 min. 'Chit and Git'.

Only I tap the card to the DCFC unit to stop the charge and then I had the CEL light.
It went away after a couple charge cycles, but still....

There are 3 or 4 ways to stop a DCFC session:
The card tap.
The key fob.
And I think the center display can do it.
And maybe if I press the locked in charge cord handle it would start the shutdown procedure.

Has anyone else had this issue?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:32 am 

NORTON wrote:
Agree !

Puzzling. :?

And the Bolt won't hit the battery with the full 50kW during the 80% DCFC charge cycle. It does some crazy throttling down. I don't like that about the Bolt. (one of the reasons I'm waiting...)
Was that a lesson learned from the Spark EV??? :?:

I got a call from my dealer about an outstanding recall, the one about the GOM.
Mine is fine, so I told her I was declining to have it performed,, for now. I wonder if it would help with below?

I had an issue pop up again yesterday during an early morning airport run. (3:30 wake up... :cry: )
I stopped at a DCFC up by the airport for the return trip. I was just on the margin of making the round trip, without it, now that spring is here.
The typical 10 min. 'Chit and Git'.

Only I tap the card to the DCFC unit to stop the charge and then I had the CEL light.
It went away after a couple charge cycles, but still....

There are 3 or 4 ways to stop a DCFC session:
The card tap.
The key fob.
And I think the center display can do it.
And maybe if I press the locked in charge cord handle it would start the shutdown procedure.

Has anyone else had this issue?

At the beginning of December last year, I had the "Service Vehicle Soon" [Check Engine Light] go on in my 2015 Spark EV. I could not reset the light through the OBDII port so I took the car to the dealer. The dealer reported there was a problem with the DCFC charge port control module and had to order one. I was also told the DCFC would not work until the module was replaced. The dealer also said the 120 / 240 volt charging port would work. Strange thing was, when I got the car back, I immediately drove to my local DCFC. Guess What! The DCFC worked fine and the "Service Vehicle Soon" light was out. 6 weeks later the replacement part arrived and I had it installed. So far, everything has been working fine. However, what I did notice is my average calculated battery capacity dropped almost 1.5 kWh after I got the car back and it has remained at the lower level - 15.9 kWh - since then. I wonder if the "Service Vehicle Soon" light was really indicating a module in the HV battery had failed? I have not had any more "Service Vehicle Soon" light episodes since the module was replaced.