Chevy Spark EV Forum

It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Phone holder ?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:51 am 

The phone is a nexus 5 with a skin and a thin hard cover.
The phone mount is an:
"The iOttie Easy One Touch 2 now features a 2-step locking system. Made of a super strong adhesive, the gel pad sticks firmly to curved, textured, and other difficult surfaces without a hitch."

They lie about how great the 'gel pad sticks'. It doesn't the way I'm using it. The textured dash and the way I have it hanging off center peals the pad off easily.
I will use a different disc that Garmin sells to mount on the top of the dash.
The lock and release mechanism is awesome, though !

Last edited by NORTON on Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:20 am 

I just got these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OJE1SG ... 8S1CP68YTX

Magnetic mount, works pretty well.

'15 Spark EV w/Michelin Premier A/S 195/55/15 all around

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:55 pm 

Look up 3M VHB double sided foam tape. Expensive but super strong. There was a segment on Modern Marvels about this stuff.

David

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:51 am 

Not too much. Does everything hold still pretty well under acceleration and hard cornering? We know your car is good at accelerating :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:39 am 

Just some follow up for those interested in a simple and cheap phone mount. I have an iphone 6 and use a relatively thin, soft case. I wanted a simple, cheap mount that put the phone up at eye level and ended up getting the one that was linked to earlier in this thread (without realizing it was already in this thread, just from searching on Amazon). I didn't require a power connection to be integrated, as long as I could plug in my Lightning cable when necessary.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OJE1SG8/

"TechMatte MagGrip Vent"

I'm very pleased with it. It clips onto the dash quite simply and is hardly noticeable when the phone is removed.

As a bonus, this mounting location blocks the super annoying passenger air bag indicator light at night. Of course, if the phone is being used for GPS or similar then it lights up, but when it is dark otherwise it serves as a nice blocker of the unnecessary and obnoxious air bag indicator.

The included metal rectangular plate is placed (without adhesive) between my phone and case. This holds the phone very well, with low enough holding force that I can easily remove it from the magnet without putting much stress on the vent, yet strong enough to hold the phone on harsh potholes and cornering, even with my stiffer, lowered suspension.

At $7, you can't go wrong with this one. It works on any phone. If you don't have a cover, the provided thin metal plate has adhesive to attach it directly to your phone. I haven't seen any ill effects on the phone as a result of being attached to the magnet, and as you can see there are lots of good reviews on Amazon, so I'm not alone.

Bryce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:15 am 

any possibility that the thin metal plate will scratch the phone? I'm leasing my phone so it has to be returned in perfect condition.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:08 pm 

The metal plate comes with an adhesive backing that has a peel-away protective layer. This peel-away paper is pretty slick and I can't imagine it scratching the phone any more than just having it in your pocket would. That is why I have the plate (paper backing facing the phone) between my phone case and phone.

Bryce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:29 pm 

I should have been more specific: my phone is in a hard case, so the disk would live between the case and the phone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:33 pm 

That's how mine is. Metal disk is between the phone and Omaker case, exposed metal facing the case and slippery paper backing facing the phone. It hasn't shifted in the week I've used it nor are there any witness marks to indicate it will scuff the phone surface up.

Bryce

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:10 pm 

Sorry for reviving dead threads, but I love my CELLET magnetic cup holder mount. When I got it out of the packaging, I didn't understand how this magnet on the steel ball could provide a sturdy mount. Well, I've used it on my Galaxy S4 with extended battery, and it works just fine and offers unparalleled maneuverability (imo). Unsure how it would do with a tablet or something else larger and heavier than your average phone. Oh, and it's only $12, winning :)
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-Car-Cup ... Swk1haQzh2