Chevy Spark EV Forum

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Soon to be Spark Owner
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:13 am 

Will all remote functionality be lost without a paid OnStar subscription? I tried to search for this but was still unsure of the answer Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:33 am 

Tim wrote:
Will all remote functionality be lost without a paid OnStar subscription? I tried to search for this but was still unsure of the answer Thanks again.

Call Onstar.
You may have a 5 year basic plan.
I was still getting 'Charge Complete' and 'Charge Cord Disconnected',, the big ones, that are part of the Basic Plan.

I called to inquire about other functions as their site seems to not talk about EV features.

The guy gave me a free 6 month upgrade and now I have 'Vehicle Status' again, where it will tell you time to complete and other data.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:44 pm 

Tim wrote:

No usey OnStar

No usey phone with Spark.

Used GM vehicles (2011 & newer I believe) are currently eligible for 3 years of free basic onstar services (remote start, lock, unlock & panic from phone app). They give 3 months full service for free. I never answered the calls from onstar our SiriusXM, I didn't want to have to tell them where they could stick their over priced services....

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:23 am 

Our Spark EV arrives this afternoon. Any last kick the tires advice (we have a 7 day trial)? Any more general advice? Any Spark owners thinking-- 'don't do it, you'll be sorry.'?

Also is this the most active Spark EV forum and the best place to come with questions?

Thanks all.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:11 am 

Check the CarFax, just to make sure there are no crashes. I'm in the Davis, CA area and would be glad to look at the car if you're near by. I suspect you'll be fine. These cars are very well put together, and yours has low mileage. BTW I'm also driving a Clarity, but the hydrogen version. Love it! But you've gotta be in CA and not too far from a fueling station for it to work.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:08 am 

Alcalira wrote:
Check the CarFax, just to make sure there are no crashes. I'm in the Davis, CA area and would be glad to look at the car if you're near by. I suspect you'll be fine. These cars are very well put together, and yours has low mileage. BTW I'm also driving a Clarity, but the hydrogen version. Love it! But you've gotta be in CA and not too far from a fueling station for it to work.

Thanks. We are in NC so that would be a long trip for you. We love our Clarity too. The Spark seems very nice so far (half a day). It's a very different feel than the Clarity but we expected that.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:19 am 

So we have our green Spark EV and think we quite like it. The only problem was that it was delivered without a working key fob. It will open the car mechanically and start the car if it is placed in the fake ignition slot but that is all. And it will often give a warning that it does not sense a remote. Before anyone suggests a new battery, we tried three. Two brand new ones and one from my working Jetta fob in case the new ones were somehow duds. I will skip my several page rant at how annoyed I am at Carvana about this. And go to my real question.

Does the Spark EV have a history of key fob problems? Is it likely that the problem is not with the fob but the car? This is my biggest worry, I know I can get a new key (Carvana (after suggesting I go to a dealer with my 90 day warranty and get a new key made) has said they would send out a locksmith to make a new key). If the key is working fine but somehow the car is not receiving properly, we might want to pass on this one dispute liking the color and the low mileage. Anyway, any key fob advice you all have would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:07 am 

We've had two Spark EVs and had no problems with key fobs. Never had to change batteries, even. There should be two key fobs with the car. If neither works, and the batteries are good, I suggest you try following the procedure on pages
2-5 and 2-6 of the owner's manual to re-program the fobs. Also, I hope they are the correct Chevy fobs. There's a picture of one on page 2-3. If you need to go somewhere to get fobs, I suggest you go a Chevy dealer, not a locksmith, since you have the Carvana warranty. You should have the genuine GM parts.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:28 am 

Tim wrote:

Does the Spark EV have a history of key fob problems? Is it likely that the problem is not with the fob but the car?

No history of fob problems, my two work great, but may need the rubber button assembly replaced at some point.

If you want the issue solved promptly, you should make it very clear to Carvana that they must resolve this problem within the 7 day "test drive" period or they can have the vehicle back.

I bought mine from Carvana in January, and outside of two instances of service vehicle lights, a STRONG marijuana smell at delivery, a broken door trigger, and undisclosed body imperfections, I've been very pleased.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:25 am 

We have two Spark EVs (four fobs total). No fob issues so far. Both cars are used daily.

I would not be comfortable at all without two working fobs.

Joe M in WV