Recall notice concerning range estimation

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the recall done this morning. When they gave me back the car, it was plugged-in to L2 and charging. GOM showed 34 mi. mi/kWh shows 4.5. Normal.

Unplugged, and thought I'd plug-in to the dealership's new 24kW DCFC. Car wouldn't charge; all the normal clicks and buzzes were noted, the charging LED turned yellow but never turned green, then after the DIC showed "Initializing" for a few seconds, it would stop the process, displaying "Fast Charging Stopped" on the DIC, and no other messages. Oy!

A mile away there is another DCFC, 50kW. Plugged-in there, charging starts as usual. I sit down in the driver's seat and turn on the car as I usually do when fast charging to watch the Torque Pro display, check SOC, temps, etc.

I watch the GOM go from 34 mi to 64 mi in just a few seconds. Whoa! mi/kWh display shows 51.1. Double Whoa!

I stop charging at 95% and go for a drive. mi/kWh display stays on 51.1 until I manually reset it. Go back to the Chevy dealership's DCFC and charge at 22kW, no problem.

I let the car charge until full; it stops at 97.7% SOC, according to Torque Pro. Usually, full means 99.6%.

I drive home and plug in to my garage L2. Charge to full. SOC 99.6%. Reset mi/kWh; it shows 4.4. Normal.

What I've noticed that is different:
1) the mi/kWh display seems to be more sensitive, updating more often than before the recall.
2) the car now chirps the horn when it starts charging. I hate that. Can't change it in "Settings" as the charging alerts are all "Off". Dammit!

Reversing camera unaffected, fortunately.

Still love the little beastie!

-Bob K.

About the Horn, check your settings.

When they do an update, I usually loose all my preference settings, and so I have to go back and disable the various alarms I don't care for.

The range estimate thing the recall is for only happened to me once. It was about a 105 degree day and I parked the car in a hot parking lot after driving it about 70 miles (included a little L2 charging) and the GOM said I had like 32 miles left.... but when I got back to the car about 1 hour later, it said I had 14 miles left..... not good, since I need 25 miles to get home..... so I found a charger and waited an hour or so to get home. That is the only time I ever encountered it. Will I update my car? No.

UPDATE: Welp, I guess I jinxed myself, my GOM freaked out today. I was driving, got down to about 4 miles of range, stopped, plugged in for about 15 minutes, go to leave, and the GOM says 120 miles of range.........turned car on and off several times, no change....... guess I gotta go get update now....

Did the update reset the trip meter? I haven't reset mine since I got the car so I can see the overall efficiency. So far around 25K miles shows 5.4 mi/kWh. I'd hate to lose it by doing the software upgrade.
SparkEVblogspot

The OnStar app shows your lifetime efficiency also. This wouldn't be affected by the update.

The trip meter did not reset, but my average kwh now shows 51.1 kwh, so yea, it got messed up. But a reset fixes it it seems.

twalace said:
Just had this done, had 65mi when taken in, got back with 28mi left???
Why didn't they plug it in after performing this simple SW update?
Ask them. :|

This has happened to quite a few that have had the recall done. Everything seems back to normal again now but charge / discharge history was wiped. I don’t have DCFC so having them plug in after wouldn’t have helped unless I stayed the rest of the day...

Not having reset the trip odometer since the update last fall, I've put around 4000 more miles on the car. The update upped the mi/kWh to around 51, which was great! Now, after driving through the winter and 4000 miles later, it's down to 10.1 mi/kWh. Other than that trip odometer change, no other changes were noted other than having to reset some of the nuisance horn-honking features to the extent those can be changed.

Gas prices were up this weekend, which made it more fun to drive!

Back