Best modifications to stay cool in the summer?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott1686

I just got a used 2015 2LT, and while the car has been great so far, this is my first time having leatherette seats in a car so they get really hot in the Florida sun. What does everyone here do to keep their cars cooler? Here's a few things I'm considering:

1. Sun shade (I actually just bought one today so I'll test it out tomorrow when I'm parked in the sun at work)
2. Window tinting, possibly ceramic (my commute is mostly towards the sun in both directions, and you can't tint the windshield, so I'm wondering how much this will help?)
3. One of those fancy seat covers that uses fans to cool the seat

I've seen a few posts about sun shades, but has anyone tried the other two? And is there anything I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!

I agree with Joe. Use the Onstar app to start the car a few minutes before you're going to get in. It will cool (or heat, as appropriate) the car. If you're plugged in, all the better, but a few minutes of pre-cooling or heating isn't going to cost you any significant amount of range. You can also set this up to occur daily at the same time, but since I never quite know what time it will be when I'm heading home I just do it on my phone while I'm walking from the office to the car.

I didn't know the car could be remote started via an app, that's cool. Do you have to pay for Onstar to use the app?

scott1686 said:
I didn't know the car could be remote started via an app, that's cool. Do you have to pay for Onstar to use the app?

Hit the OnStar button in the car and see if they'll hook you up with the free package that allows remote functions. Onstar probably still has the car registered to its previous owner.

Don't do anything. Plan for winter cold. I'm in Texas, and the first week of July was one of those 100+ heat waves. I bought my 2015 in September 2017, so I've experienced winter and am now taking on my first summer. I'm still fine with my black paint and no window tint. While Texas winters are mild, my biggest concern is still how to keep the car warm when it's cold. Running the heater in the winter had a major impact on range. Running the AC in the summer isn't much of a hit.

I will confess I'm tempted to do the tint thing for looks, especially since my car is black, but I've seen range as high as 96 miles in the spring, and as low as 65 miles in mild Texas winter. So far my summer range is around 78 miles.

I should add that I'm somewhat a disciple of NORTON and don't exactly go easy on the accelerator. I do tend to honor speed limits, but I really enjoy getting to the speed limit as quickly as possible without tire smoke or squeal. (Stealth speed!) If I could actually stand to drive 35mph for 3 hours at Leaf acceleration rates, I might could go 105 miles. I did approximate that once, and was fascinated that I could actually go that far.

A Dead of Winter mod that I thought of would work for summer also,,,, if you only use it as a 2 seater.

Seal off the front of the cabin behind the front seats with clear window film and tape!
You know,, the patio door winterizing kits that are sold at hardware stores in the winter...
A little hair dryer tightening of the film and you wouldn't know it's there!

(I have not tried this mod yet in the winter.)

I have tint and ventshades. But then you can't 'Precondition' with the windows cracked, although I still do (when I remember to :( ) bc I'm plugged into a free public L2.

or to keep battery warm in winter, lay an electric blanket on the floor under the battery, the heat rises and keep battery warm while parked in garage.

CSW said:
or to keep battery warm in winter, lay an electric blanket on the floor under the battery, the heat rises and keep battery warm while parked in garage.
No garage. I just keep it plugged in during the Dead of Winter... :(
Besides, that has to be less power usage than heating a whole garage from a blanket on the floor.

CSW said:

Charging heats the battery. Schedule your charging so that it completes just before you normally leave in the morning.

I'm in kissimmee fl and own 2 titanium color spark EV's... I had all the back windows done in 5% limo tint the 2 front done in 10% tint, the winsheild done with 3m clear refractive tint which rejects 95% of the UV and heat and then a 8" 5% shade strip on the top of the winsheild. Cost was about 225.00 per car. Works great for us. Two year and no bubbles I used a company that's been in bussisness 25 years and gives a life of the car warranty.

Where are you located?

two20142lts said:
I'm in kissimmee fl and own 2 titanium color spark EV's... I had all the back windows done in 5% limo tint the 2 front done in 10% tint, the winsheild done with 3m clear refractive tint which rejects 95% of the UV and heat and then a 8" 5% shade strip on the top of the winsheild. Cost was about 225.00 per car. Works great for us. Two year and no bubbles I used a company that's been in bussisness 25 years and gives a life of the car warranty.

Where are you located?

Cool you live nearby then, I'm in Orlando. I guess that makes 3 known Spark EV owners in the Orlando area since I saw another blue one on 408 one day.

Anyway, I ended up tinting my windows, getting mesh seat covers, and getting a sun shade, so between those 3 things it's been a lot better. Luckily I still haven't had to worry about heat, although I did try out the heated seats one of the days when it was in the 50s just because I needed an excuse to try them.

Back