Moving On

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCIE

So after almost 2 years driving my Spark EV, I traded it in against a Model 3 yesterday. It was a solid car, but if the battery degradation kept up at the same pace this would have been the last winter it would work for my use case. Decided to jump on the M3 while the full tax credit was available. Love the car so far.

Best of luck everyone, and happy motoring!

Aren't u concerned that everything is controlled by the tablet. If the computer crashes u have no ac or radio and God knows what else. Also the poor workmanship of the car. Some peoples bumpers r falling off just driving down the road.

evboy said:
Aren't u concerned that everything is controlled by the tablet. If the computer crashes u have no ac or radio and God knows what else. Also the poor workmanship of the car. Some peoples bumpers r falling off just driving down the road.

No, I’m not concerned. If the BCM or HPCM2 (computers) in the Spark fail the car is a brick too. You may think you have direct physical switches and buttons in the Spark, but most are actually talking to central computers to achieve actions.

My M3 was made in 7/2018. Build quality and workmanship seem great. No issues with panel gaps or misalignment. Paint job is good too.

I’ve been reading the M3 forums for a while. The only bumper issues have been a couple people who drove through deep water. The water was so high it pushed up under the bumper and the hydrostatic pressure ripped it off. I’m not planning to drive through any rivers, so not an issue for me.

Sparkie was a good car. But, the battery chemistry it’s using is really designed for a PHEV and it’s regularly charging/discharging to very high and very low states-of-charge. Those two things don’t bode well for long term battery life. After monitoring the loss in capacity over the last year I decided the car wasn’t going to work for me long term. Plus, I’m looking forward to using as much heat as I want this winter without worrying about range!

CCIE said:
evboy said:
I’ve been reading the M3 forums for a while. The only bumper issues have been a couple people who drove through deep water. The water was so high it pushed up under the bumper and the hydrostatic pressure ripped it off. I’m not planning to drive through any rivers, so not an issue for me.

Sparkie was a good car. But, the battery chemistry it’s using is really designed for a PHEV and it’s regularly charging/discharging to very high and very low states-of-charge. Those two things don’t bode well for long term battery life. After monitoring the loss in capacity over the last year I decided the car wasn’t going to work for me long term. Plus, I’m looking forward to using as much heat as I want this winter without worrying about range!

I think the majority of the range loss is still primarily due to the calendar life IMO. Regarding the bumper/water issue, I think Tesla really needed to more testing prior to mass production, but as long as they're company they won't leave us high and dry. GM definitely has much more thorough test procedures.

https://youtu.be/FSt2lzoLvqM

CCIE said:
if the battery degradation kept up at the same pace this would have been the last winter it would work for my use case.

I'm in the same boat and have been thinking along the same lines. If you don't mind me asking, when did you initiate your M3 order?

CCIE said:
the battery chemistry it’s using is really designed for a PHEV
It will be interesting to see how degradation between the 15/16 Spark & 2nd gen volt compare in about a decade or so, being that the battery packs are near identical. Hopefully, even with all the different variables, the flaws can be realized (if they haven't been already), by GM.

Happy travels, take care.

I ordered Late July and got it late August on the east coast. I was not a reservation holder. Only option I ordered was Blue color. I’m doing a trial of autopilot now and I’m glad I didn’t pay for it. Way too buggy for my taste.

If you want a RWD model, odds are you could still get it before end of year and qualify for the full tax credit.

CCIE said:
I ordered Late July and got it late August on the east coast. I was not a reservation holder. ..

If you want a RWD model, odds are you could still get it before end of year and qualify for the full tax credit.
So you are on the record that there IS such a thing as the highly publicized $35k Tesla Model 3, WITH the $7500 Tax incentive?
I'm sure that's what most wanted when they stood in line long ago...

Of course we'd like to ask you the question.... $$$???

But we're too polite to ask that... :lol:

NORTON said:
So you are on the record that there IS such a thing as the highly publicized $35k Tesla Model 3, WITH the $7500 Tax incentive?

I'd wager a nice steak dinner, that there isn't a way for a person who has no reservation, or got one this year, to buy a $35k TM3 direct from Tesla this year (to receive the full EV tax credit of $7500).

A long range TM3 is $50k and any color other than black is $1.5k minimum, last time I checked. It's a beautiful car. I had Sparky at a Drive Electric Week event last Saturday in Charlotte, NC (will do so again for a second event tomorrow), and there were half a dozen TM3s. I'm envious.

Ah, but you can easily buy a Spark EV for under $10K, and get it in a week!

I may end up buying a model 3 next year (or the year after). I don't need an EV for roadtrips (family man with a very-low-polluting 40mpg PZEV gasmobile for the freeway), but ...

It's an inner conflict. A Bolt or model 3 would push us from 80-85% electric to much closer to 96-98% electric.

NORTON said:
CCIE said:
I ordered Late July and got it late August on the east coast. I was not a reservation holder. ..

I'm sure that's what most wanted when they stood in line long ago...

But we're too polite to ask that... :lol:

Not completely following you. I don’t expect a $35k model 3 to ever ship in more than token quantities. I never stood in a line and waited about a month from order to delivery. No complaints.

Mine was $49k + $1k for color + $1k delivery. Color and delivery are more expensive now. I’ll get $7500 federal credit and $3000 state credit. Both will be exhausted by year-end, which is why I bought when I did.

CCIE said:
Not completely following you. I don’t expect a $35k model 3 to ever ship in more than token quantities. .
When the press gave out all that free advertising it was all about "The $35k Tesla! Cheaper than a Bolt...". Do you remember that from way back then?
The press went on and on about 'the affordable long range EV!'

I would think that most of those poor saps that gave Tesla a $1000 interest free loan wanted that car and didn't want a +$50k car.
Only time will tell.

NORTON said:
CCIE said:
Not completely following you. I don’t expect a $35k model 3 to ever ship in more than token quantities. .
When the press gave out all that free advertising it was all about "The $35k Tesla! Cheaper than a Bolt...". Do you remember that from way back then?
The press went on and on about 'the affordable long range EV!'

I would think that most of those poor saps that gave Tesla a $1000 interest free loan wanted that car and didn't want a +$50k car.
Only time will tell.

Agreed, Tesla has done a bait-and-switch with the $35k M3. To avoid lawsuits they'll probably ship a small number at that price, just so they can say it existed.

Though I really don't understand anyone with a deposit down not buying the $49k car before the federal tax credit expires. Ignoring any state rebates, that makes it a nicely appointed 300-mile car @ $41.5k vs a stripped 200-mile car @ $35k. That $6500 difference seems trivial at these price levels.

For me it's only a $3500 price difference since I'll get a $3000 state credit that will be exhausted by next year.

They wont get sued. I guarantee the contract says they don't have to deliver a 35 k car and the price could change. It's refundable anyway.

evboy said:
They wont get sued. I guarantee the contract says they don't have to deliver a 35 k car and the price could change. It's refundable anyway.

The reservation cotract doesn’t guarantee a $35k car. But, they might get sued for false advertising based on Musk’s previous comments. Also, it would be a PR disaster if they never ship a car at that price. So, they’ll ship a small number.

CCIE said:
The reservation contract doesn’t guarantee a $35k car. But, they might get sued for false advertising based on Musk’s previous comments. Also, it would be a PR disaster if they never ship a car at that price. ...
Advertising ??
When has Tesla ever advertised anything?
It's the Swooning Media on all things Elon that does that work.
You still see comparison charts to this day showing the Model 3 "starting at $35k".

And PR disaster? They just roll off his back.... :roll:

There should be a prize for the reservation holder that hangs in there the longest wait for the mythical $35k Model 3.

In some ways it was rather deceptive of Tesla to hold back on 35k Model 3 and instead sell higher margin long range versions first.

But I really cannot fault them on this. It would be like asking Chevy to stop selling their high margin SUVs in order to improve their fleet fuel economy. Each brand has their money makers, and without them they couldn't make the investments to making more affordable green cars.

In a round about way, Tesla may be responsible for the Bolt EV. The pressure of that 35k Model 3 (or even the Model S) made Chevy serious again about making a practical and affordable long range electric vehicle. A while ago I remember a poster here showing their custom license plate for their Spark EV as "gto tsla" or something of the like. I will happily keep purchasing "ghetto Teslas" as long as there is a Tesla to push the other companies into making more of them!

xylhim said:
A while ago I remember a poster here showing their custom license plate for their Spark EV as "gto tsla" or something of the like.

Hey now! Last month thanks to significant annual fuel savings, I felt compelled to splurge on a custom license plate to raise local awareness! Texas "SPARK EV" FTW!

Back