Chevy Spark EV Forum

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Moving On
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:44 am 

CCIE wrote:
Not completely following you. I don’t expect a $35k model 3 to ever ship in more than token quantities. .

When the press gave out all that free advertising it was all about "The $35k Tesla! Cheaper than a Bolt...". Do you remember that from way back then?
The press went on and on about 'the affordable long range EV!'

I would think that most of those poor saps that gave Tesla a $1000 interest free loan wanted that car and didn't want a +$50k car.
Only time will tell.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:20 am 

NORTON wrote:
CCIE wrote:
Not completely following you. I don’t expect a $35k model 3 to ever ship in more than token quantities. .

When the press gave out all that free advertising it was all about "The $35k Tesla! Cheaper than a Bolt...". Do you remember that from way back then?
The press went on and on about 'the affordable long range EV!'

I would think that most of those poor saps that gave Tesla a $1000 interest free loan wanted that car and didn't want a +$50k car.
Only time will tell.

Agreed, Tesla has done a bait-and-switch with the $35k M3. To avoid lawsuits they'll probably ship a small number at that price, just so they can say it existed.

Though I really don't understand anyone with a deposit down not buying the $49k car before the federal tax credit expires. Ignoring any state rebates, that makes it a nicely appointed 300-mile car @ $41.5k vs a stripped 200-mile car @ $35k. That $6500 difference seems trivial at these price levels.

For me it's only a $3500 price difference since I'll get a $3000 state credit that will be exhausted by next year.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:10 pm 

They wont get sued. I guarantee the contract says they don't have to deliver a 35 k car and the price could change. It's refundable anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:53 am 

evboy wrote:
They wont get sued. I guarantee the contract says they don't have to deliver a 35 k car and the price could change. It's refundable anyway.

The reservation cotract doesn’t guarantee a $35k car. But, they might get sued for false advertising based on Musk’s previous comments. Also, it would be a PR disaster if they never ship a car at that price. So, they’ll ship a small number.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:02 am 

CCIE wrote:
The reservation contract doesn’t guarantee a $35k car. But, they might get sued for false advertising based on Musk’s previous comments. Also, it would be a PR disaster if they never ship a car at that price. ...
Advertising ??
When has Tesla ever advertised anything?
It's the Swooning Media on all things Elon that does that work.
You still see comparison charts to this day showing the Model 3 "starting at $35k".

And PR disaster? They just roll off his back.... :roll:

There should be a prize for the reservation holder that hangs in there the longest wait for the mythical $35k Model 3.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:30 am 

In some ways it was rather deceptive of Tesla to hold back on 35k Model 3 and instead sell higher margin long range versions first.

But I really cannot fault them on this. It would be like asking Chevy to stop selling their high margin SUVs in order to improve their fleet fuel economy. Each brand has their money makers, and without them they couldn't make the investments to making more affordable green cars.

In a round about way, Tesla may be responsible for the Bolt EV. The pressure of that 35k Model 3 (or even the Model S) made Chevy serious again about making a practical and affordable long range electric vehicle. A while ago I remember a poster here showing their custom license plate for their Spark EV as "gto tsla" or something of the like. I will happily keep purchasing "ghetto Teslas" as long as there is a Tesla to push the other companies into making more of them!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:49 pm 

xylhim wrote:
A while ago I remember a poster here showing their custom license plate for their Spark EV as "gto tsla" or something of the like.

Hey now! Last month thanks to significant annual fuel savings, I felt compelled to splurge on a custom license plate to raise local awareness! Texas "SPARK EV" FTW!