RSC
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:45 am

Would a Volt key fob shell work for a 2015 Spark EV?

Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:15 pm

The rubber keypad is worn out on one of my 2015 Spark EV key fobs and I would like to replace it (the keypad or the entire shell). I see that a 5 button fob shell for the Volt is listed on ebay, and it looks identical to the fob for my Spark, complete with the correct EV symbols. I was going to place an order, but I thought I'd contact the seller first, including photos of my key fob.

Their response was "Unfortunately, this listing is not compatible with your vehicle." I strongly suspect that this is just the easy and low risk response, and that the Volt fob shell would work. But maybe I'm missing something or the seller's picture on ebay is not correct. Any opinions or knowledge about this?

Edit: The listing is for a 2011-2015 Volt.
Ray
2015 Spark EV 1LT, DCFC

StEVen
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:21 pm

Re: Would a Volt key fob shell work for a 2015 Spark EV?

Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:53 pm

RSC wrote:The rubber keypad is worn out on one of my 2015 Spark EV key fobs and I would like to replace it (the keypad or the entire shell). I see that a 5 button fob shell for the Volt is listed on ebay, and it looks identical to the fob for my Spark, complete with the correct EV symbols. I was going to place an order, but I thought I'd contact the seller first, including photos of my key fob.

Their response was "Unfortunately, this listing is not compatible with your vehicle." I strongly suspect that this is just the easy and low risk response, and that the Volt fob shell would work. But maybe I'm missing something or the seller's picture on ebay is not correct. Any opinions or knowledge about this?

Edit: The listing is for a 2011-2015 Volt.
No knowledge, just an opinion but I'd go for it. Carvana shows the keys for each car in their inside virtual tour and they look the same as my spark key for that year. I think your low risk suspicion is correct and that you would be just fine
2nd owner
'15 2LT w/ DCFC
17k miles
Stock front wheels w/ 195's on all 4 corners.

RSC
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:45 am

Re: Would a Volt key fob shell work for a 2015 Spark EV?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:31 pm

Hi StEVen,

I decided to take a chance and ordered the Volt key fob earlier today. I'll post again when I get a chance to try it out.
Ray
2015 Spark EV 1LT, DCFC

StEVen
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:21 pm

Re: Would a Volt key fob shell work for a 2015 Spark EV?

Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:31 pm

RSC wrote:Hi StEVen,

I decided to take a chance and ordered the Volt key fob earlier today. I'll post again when I get a chance to try it out.
Great. This will be good to know there is additional replacement.
2nd owner
'15 2LT w/ DCFC
17k miles
Stock front wheels w/ 195's on all 4 corners.

RSC
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:45 am

Re: Would a Volt key fob shell work for a 2015 Spark EV?

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:30 pm

I got the Volt key fob shell today, and as the seller stated, it was not compatible with my Spark EV. The key blank for the Volt is narrower, so that the key fob body is thinner, and the rubber keypad is not really designed to be removed from the fob body and reinstalled. I'm not too disappointed -- it was worth a try.

Right now I'm using a silicone rubber key fob cover. It looks and works OK, and hopefully protects the keypad from further damage.
Ray
2015 Spark EV 1LT, DCFC

StEVen
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:21 pm

Re: Would a Volt key fob shell work for a 2015 Spark EV?

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:40 pm

RSC wrote:I got the Volt key fob shell today, and as the seller stated, it was not compatible with my Spark EV. The key blank for the Volt is narrower, so that the key fob body is thinner, and the rubber keypad is not really designed to be removed from the fob body and reinstalled. I'm not too disappointed -- it was worth a try.

Right now I'm using a silicone rubber key fob cover. It looks and works OK, and hopefully protects the keypad from further damage.
This is a bummer to hear. I'm really sorry and I feel bad for encouraging you to go for it. I'll buy you a beer and treat you to some grade A BBQ if your ever in Austin. :D
2nd owner
'15 2LT w/ DCFC
17k miles
Stock front wheels w/ 195's on all 4 corners.

RSC
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:45 am

Re: Would a Volt key fob shell work for a 2015 Spark EV?

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:39 am

Thanks for the offer. I really don't feel too bad about it. It was worth a try, and I was going to do it anyway without encouragement. Now we know.
Ray
2015 Spark EV 1LT, DCFC

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”