Torque Pro walkthrough video.

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLondonBroiler

Hey all. I created a walkthrough video on how to utilize torque pro with vehicles (specifically the Volt, Spark, and Bolt EVs). It's far from perfect, but if you're unsure how to do it, or are getting hung up, hopefully it will help. In addition to your Android device, the obd bluetooth adapter is ~$10 and the Torque Pro App is $5.

EDIT: I guess a link would help...

https://youtu.be/LjqDk08x9EY

Shipwreck said:
Thanks for the video.
No problem, I'm glad you found it useful

Shipwreck said:
I searched my phone for .torque folder so I can move the downloaded file, but I cannot find the .torque folder.
My memory is absolutely horrendous. If I were to have to reinstall today, I'm sure I'd have a hard time myself. Easiest way to locate the .Torque fodrder (at least for me) is to use the FILE EXPLORER or like app that comes default on your android device and use the search function (it required me to use the menu button on my phone, to show the search function).

Sorry if this doesn't help. I'm not sure if there is a company that can provide a professional level of assistance, if you REALLY want the app and are willing to pay for the assistance.

Shipwreck said:
Must I root my phone?
No.

Good luck!

Kermit said:
I just wanted to say thanks
No problem, I'm glad it helped you. My contribution is miniscule compared to the folks that worked to find all of those PIDs and calculations. I enjoy the benefits of it everyday.

Thank you for the video. BTW this will NOT work with Torque Lite - it will not give you access to the folder level. Spend the $4.95, it’s worth it.

Since I use an iPhone I had to purchase a used Android for this purpose. Got a non activated phone through the Smart Talk website for $20.

CypressVH said:
will this work for iPhone? Don't own any android devices.

Android devices can be had pretty darn cheap new or used. Not only does it function as a gauge display (which would probably be much more expensive as a stand alone device), it can also make phone calls :)

Also good to have a back up phone.

CypressVH said:
No interest in buying an android device for this one limited use case.

Then don't.

Personally (my experience) I got a really, really cheap android phone exactly for this "one limited use case". It cost me much less than the OBD reader itself. That is all that it is used for.

And no, I don't think that Torque Pro is available on iOS.

CypressVH said:
No interest in buying an android device for this one limited use case.

Too bad. If someone designs something that works for the Bolt (or possibly future GM EV), it will likely work with the Spark. In my configuration, the PID for battery capacity works fine for the Spark, but doesn't read right for my Bolt. Good luck.

Are the PIDs universal between OBD scanners and the apps? Or are they specific to each?

That is, I found an IOS app and OBD reader that are compatible and that allows importing custom PIDs.

CypressVH said:
Are the PIDs universal between OBD scanners and the apps? Or are they specific to each?

That is, I found an IOS app and OBD reader that are compatible and that allows importing custom PIDs.

Did you make adjustments for the Spark EV vs what they had by default in the Bolt forum?

It's my understanding the PIDs are manufacturer created "addresses" or specific locations for specific data. The .csv file labels the PIDs, and does a calculation with the value contained at a particular PID, and outputs the result.

Try it out and see if it works, you'll be a hero to a few others that are too cheap, morally opposed, or for whatever reason won't buy an Android device (I concede that Apple products seem to offer better security measures).

I made zero adjustments to the .csv file found in the Bolt forum and it worked perfectly with the Spark, but not the Bolt.

Your post literally just made me think of a strange and somewhat unrelated correlation. Stop reading here if uninterested.

So I calculated my 2019 Bolt (manufactured in August 2018) to have a 66kwh battery (Torque Pro said car fully charged was 97%, drove it to 6-7%, energy display said 60.X kwh has been used. Thought, this is strange.

GM just announced the 2020 Bolt EV will have a 66kwh battery (up from 57/60kwh). I'm really really wondering, had the change already occurred and they just didn't say anything? If they also changed something to do with parameter ids, it would make sense why my "Battery Capacity" readout is nonsense. Just a thought.

I bought a more expensive OBD reader so it would work with iphone and android in case I didn't like the iphone app https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-OBDCheck-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Supports/dp/B073XKQQQW/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_263_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1D4RG8BRH3FCW9T32CYN I think they have a version that is $17 available now too. I have Enginelink with the Bolt PIDS loaded and it will give you the battery capacity in kWh to 2 decimal places. Enginelink will show: Volts of the pack, Average cell voltage, Battery capacity, the 12 volt battery capacity, current charging amps, Battery coolant RPM, Battery temperature in Celcius (only), kWh of last charge as well as Raw SOC (State of Charge) and Batt % DIC (Displayed in Console) I still seem to prefer the Torque Pro setup.

Kermit said:
I bought a more expensive OBD reader so it would work with iphone and android in case I didn't like the iphone app https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-OBDCheck-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Supports/dp/B073XKQQQW/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_263_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1D4RG8BRH3FCW9T32CYN I think they have a version that is $17 available now too. I have Enginelink with the Bolt PIDS loaded and it will give you the battery capacity in kWh to 2 decimal places. Enginelink will show: Volts of the pack, Average cell voltage, Battery capacity, the 12 volt battery capacity, current charging amps, Battery coolant RPM, Battery temperature in Celcius (only), kWh of last charge as well as Raw SOC (State of Charge) and Batt % DIC (Displayed in Console) I still seem to prefer the Torque Pro setup.

Is that "out of the box" with EngineLink or did you download the BOLT PIDs?

TheLondonBroiler said:
Try it out and see if it works, you'll be a hero to a few others that are too cheap, morally opposed, or for whatever reason won't buy an Android device

:shock:

that comes across a bit judgy. It's just I already have an iPhone and would rather not have to bother with yet another device to manage.

I ordered a OBDII reader and an App (OBD Fusion) that supports iPhone (and has an import function for PID .csv files.

The app company had instructions for installing the file using iTunes file sharing (it was pretty straight forward). I downloaded the Bolt PID from the forum you pointed out in your video, and was able to install it to the iPhone app.

1.) download the file.
2.) connect the iPhone to the Mac
3.) Open iTunes and go to the phone.
4.) navigate to file sharing in the left side menu bar.
5.) find and select the app.
6.) drag the .csv file into the window.
7.) in the app on the phone, find the import from file option.

Was able to setup some display options in the app (that's a bit tedious).

Also the app allows you to define new PID and formulas interactively.

The OBD reader should come tomorrow and we will see if it all works out.

Regarding Enginelink - There are custom PIDs preloaded one of them is for a Chevy Volt. I did end up loading the Bolt PIDs which required an upload of the CSV like what you explained.

Back