Aftermarket speakers?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just spoke to Crutchfield and - as I’m sure is known - they did not have recommendations specifically for my 2015 Spark EV. But based on the 2015 gas Spark, they recommended I replace all four speakers with Polk Audio DB402 models. They said they should easily go in the front, and that I would have to make a bracket for the rear speakers. Total cost with speakers, harnesses, and a universal plastic panel came to about $110. — Any opinion using these Polk speakers as the replacements for better sound?

davidbike said:
— Any opinion using these Polk speakers as the replacements for better sound?

Polk makes decent stuff for the money (at least they were 4 years ago when I left the install scene).

If your expectations are reasonable, you should be content. 4" & 4x6 speakers with no enclosure will only sound so good.

Man, reading through this I'm finding several different things. Ohms are important, but not really. Size of the speaker is important but not really. Just get as close to the original as possible and see how it goes.

I've been looking at speakers since I've gotten the car a week or so ago but having a hard time pulling the trigger. It seems that just getting the right size and don't go overboard on the watts should do the trick. I'm also looking at possibly putting in those baffles in may help with the rear bass response... then again I heard that they won't.

lol What is up with this car and the audio system? Bah. I may end up taking it in to a local place and just having them dump some upgrades into it but I'd rather just put the speakers in myself as it'll be much cheaper.

I bought 4" Polk speakers all around from Crutchfield and they guided me on installing them (the only tricky part involved making a bracket needed to install the rear speakers - luckily my neighbor was skilled in using a jigsaw). The result was far more clearer sound, though unimpressive bass and the treble is over-bright. At some point when I get time I'll work with adjusting the tones to try to get a more pleasing sound.

So to sum it up: doing this without the installation of an amp and subwoofer resulted in much better sound (it no longer sounds muffled), but it could certainly be better.

wiseguyz23 said:
Ohms are important, but not really. Size of the speaker is important but not really. Just get as close to the original as possible

right size and don't go overboard on the watts should do the trick. I'm also looking at possibly putting in those baffles in may help with the rear bass response... then again I heard that they won't.

If powering speakers from the factory indash, the replacement speakers should be between 4&8 ohms. Will you have a problem with 2 ohm or 10 ohm speakers? Maybe, maybe not. The further you stray away, the more likely problems are to occur (fortunately most all automotive replacement speakers are 4 ohm) As far as size constraints are concerned, anything different than the original will require a bracket or EXTREME modification. Sure aftermarket manufacturer product sizes vary for a certain segment (ie 4" speaker), but it's generally very small variances that don't cause fitment issues.

People generally think a speaker capable of handling more power is a more desirable speaker (ie a 200 watt speaker is better than a 100 watt speaker). Two things worth mentioning, don't look at the max rating, rather the RMS rating (if that rating isn't readily visible/available, move along). Additionally, a speaker capable of higher
rms power, ACTUALLY NEEDS THAT POWER to achieve peak performance. With our Spark, like most oem head unit amplifiers, power output doesn't exceed Watt figures in the teens, so a lower rated speaker isn't a worse choice.

Regarding baffles.... a speaker "works better" in a WELL DESIGNED enclosure (does a much better job producing lower frequencies). Putting a baffle on, may or may not improve sound quality/frequency range.

wiseguyz23 said:
lol What is up with this car and the audio system? Bah. I may end up taking it in to a local place and just having them dump some upgrades into it but I'd rather just put the speakers in myself as it'll be much cheaper.

Fortunately or unfortunately, the Spark is a sub compact economy car. There's no practical place for large audio components, and GM wasn't putting out to design a system capable of delivering a full range of sound.

I'd put some speakers in myself and save the cost of labor. Then maybe decide if it's good enough, or whether a subwoofer is necessary (hopefully just a small enclosed & powered deal is all you "need", to get desirable sound).

Good points. I'll most likely end up getting a few sets of good quality speakers and possibly put in a little 100-200 watt amp to boost the power. I'll also probably get one of the little subs that fit under the seat.

Anyone know if the stereo runs off the 12v battery or the EV batteries?

Hello everyone. Here is my upgrade on Youtube https://youtu.be/1WDpTiDviTw My whole goal was to match the Ohm more than the watts. Did not go with anything fancy but here it is. Recorded using a Zoom H1 in various conditions ,driving etc.. The sound is cleaner and it can actually be turned past 20 without distorting so bad it breaks up. The new speakers handle the gain and you can adjust the EQ and front to rear. Like to put the bias toward the rear just a bit to help with the bass in the front , they really are quite nice. Really enjoying this as it’s my first EV . Thanks

SVTWRC said:
Hello everyone. Here is my upgrade on Youtube https://youtu.be/1WDpTiDviTw My whole goal was to match the Ohm more than the watts. Did not go with anything fancy but here it is. Recorded using a Zoom H1 in various conditions ,driving etc.. The sound is cleaner and it can actually be turned past 20 without distorting so bad it breaks up. The new speakers handle the gain and you can adjust the EQ and front to rear. Like to put the bias toward the rear just a bit to help with the bass in the front , they really are quite nice. Really enjoying this as it’s my first EV . Thanks

I've actually watched both yours and Josh's videos multiple time. I really appreciate that someone's out there giving us some info. Question, though. What brand/model did you get for both from and back? I see the Pyle, but which model specifically? Thanks!

Rear - Pyle PL463Blue Label 240watt 4ohm $20 EBay
Front - Faital Pro 4FE35 60Watt 8ohm $40 EBay
Nothing Fancy but The $ was worth the experiment as my friends have spend hundreds before and the system sounds worse than stock.

wiseguyz23 said:
SVTWRC said:

I've actually watched both yours and Josh's videos multiple time. I really appreciate that someone's out there giving us some info. Question, though. What brand/model did you get for both from and back? I see the Pyle, but which model specifically? Thanks!

Rear - Pyle PL463Blue Label 240watt 4ohm $20 EBay
Front - Faital Pro 4FE35 60Watt 8ohm $40 EBay
Nothing Fancy but The $ was worth the experiment as my friends have spend hundreds before and the system sounds worse than stock.

See my signature.

Got Alpine speakers and with a 3D printed adapter found in this forum, bigger ones in the back.

They sound better than the stock ones

After some reading, I did the following speaker upgrade for my 2015 spark EV:

front: JBL GTO429 (RMS 5W-50W or 35W, 3 ohms) from Amazon for $46.95
rear: Pioneer TS-A4676R (30W nominal, 4 ohms) from sonicelectronix.com for $44.99
cable (for rear speakers): Meta 72-9300 from sonicelectronix.com for $5.99 x 2

Overall these speakers produce much-improved sound than that came from the stock ones. Because of their size, there is not really much bass that can be produced by these smaller speakers. I do think a subwoofer is needed for a fuller and more satisfying sound. Anyway, I am happy about the result for now.

;)

JPL said:
See my signature.

Got Alpine speakers and with a 3D printed adapter found in this forum, bigger ones in the back.

They sound better than the stock ones

hi do you have a link to this 3d printed part?. I too would like to upgrade the speakers in my 2015 spark ev

New to me 2016 owner here. I just want to thank all of you for setting my expectations SO LOW for the audio quality of this car. After reading/researching adding speakers/amps/subwoofers etc, I was pleasantly surprised at how decent it sounds in factory form haha.

I daily drive a 2015 LT2 and agree that the sound system seems quite adequate to me. I listen at home when sound quality is a significant factor.

Then again, we all have differing priorities.

Joe M in WV

Installed a compact / Low-profile subwoofer inside the EVSE storage area in trunk floor! My car did not come with the OEM EVSE charger, so I repurposed the space for this sub! A little cutting of the foam created a nice secure storage spot.

Model is Sound Storm LOPRO8. It's about half the cost of the Pioneer Unit most were using and has roughly double the RMS wattage rating.
Overall it's completely adequate. It rounds out the sound system nicely, and makes me forget the stock paper speakers are so bad. I don't feel like I need upgraded front/rear speakers with this addition.

It's the best compromise I could have hoped for because it just wasn't worth losing 50% of the trunk for some extra bass, this sounds the same or better than most car built-in subwoofer's I've had. It's very efficient for price/space/sound/power consumption.

*EDIT - Well the images hosted on IMGUR don't seem to be working? Here's the album: https://imgur.com/a/T9qIub9

yWlYvW2

wZc5FsB

6fEdA6a

yWlYvW2.jpg

6fEdA6a.jpg

wZc5FsB.jpg

JAMMan said:
It's the best compromise I could have hoped for because it just wasn't worth losing 50% of the trunk for some extra bass, this sounds the same or better than most car built-in subwoofer's I've had. It's very efficient for price/space/sound/power consumption.

*EDIT - Well the images hosted on IMGUR don't seem to be working? Here's the album: https://imgur.com/a/T9qIub9

Very well done! That being said, I like having at least a 110v EVSE along with me. I've noticed there is a fair amount of voids under the hood. Maybe a sealed bag containing such might be an idea you'd entertain, should you decide it would offer you better piece of mind (I've aired some questionable ideas before of this forum, and this is likely another one to add to the list).

Btw, your photos didn't show because they didn't have the .jpg link extension (ex: https://i.imgur.com/wZc5FsB.jpg). I hope you or anyone else minds me showing them. If so, you should be able to edit your post, and I'll do so as well.

Back