SparkyJ

Re: Check Engine Light - Code P0713

Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:07 pm

Norton, part of the change should include a filter change...very similar to an automatic trans oil pan and filter. Still need to crawl under sparky and check it out, but I seen the trans filter listed on rock auto for all spark ev with corresponding gear ratios for each year.

Thanks for checking the 16's manual dr....odd 15 and 16 nothing is listed, just same fluid. No way they could be implying it never needs to be changed..if so I will be changing mine at about 25-30k miles lol

MrDRMorgan

Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:21 pm

SparkyJ wrote:Norton, part of the change should include a filter change...very similar to an automatic trans oil pan and filter. Still need to crawl under sparky and check it out, but I seen the trans filter listed on rock auto for all spark ev with corresponding gear ratios for each year.

Thanks for checking the 16's manual dr....odd 15 and 16 nothing is listed, just same fluid. No way they could be implying it never needs to be changed..if so I will be changing mine at about 25-30k miles lol
I do not know what the upper limit is for the transmission temperature so I will just keep checking it from time to time and compare it with my 2016. The transmission temperature read 56 deg. C after running around in the high heat for a while.

Today (7/21), while monitoring the transmission temperature, I noticed it jumped to 99.9 deg. C for a moement and then back down to 53 deg. C. The check engine light did not come on but this may be an indicator of a problem with the sensor. I will keep watching.

NORTON

Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:08 am

CCIE wrote:Dextron VI compatible ATF is readily available. Should have no problem buying it at any auto parts store.
But the Spark EV and the Vette and others spec the HP version of this fluid. That is what I am trying to find. The Mobil 1 ATF HP is compatible.
· Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP is warranty approved for all vehicles specifying DEXRON® HP ATF
Look a zoom of the back label: https://www.thelubricantstore.com/mobil ... MoQAvD_BwE

I think the filter is not easily replaceable. It is in the case and the drive unit would need to be split. That's how it is on the Volt.
Did you see the thread about 'discolored ATF. Don't change it'. It was some kind of TSB.

I'll be posting the oil analysis of the old fluid when I do it.
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC.
+67 K miles. Mostly free electrons! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.

SparkyJ

Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:21 pm

NORTON wrote:
I think the filter is not easily replaceable. It is in the case and the drive unit would need to be split. That's how it is on the Volt.
Did you see the thread about 'discolored ATF. Don't change it'. It was some kind of TSB.

Only way to drain is remove the oil pan. I went ahead and shelled out $30 for a year of chilton diy and it has the whole process, a little more complicated than a typical automatic trans fluid/filter change.

I'll see what help I can give if any info is needed as well as learn some other specs, but note some info might not be accurate for 2014 spark ev, service info is for 2015 spark ev.

And dr, try to watch that sensor if not going to go ahead and replace it or take it in....sounds like you are on the right track.

MrDRMorgan

Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:35 pm

SparkyJ wrote:
NORTON wrote:

Only way to drain is remove the oil pan. I went ahead and shelled out $30 for a year of chilton diy and it has the whole process, a little more complicated than a typical automatic trans fluid/filter change.

I'll see what help I can give if any info is needed as well as learn some other specs, but note some info might not be accurate for 2014 spark ev, service info is for 2015 spark ev.

And dr, try to watch that sensor if not going to go ahead and replace it or take it in....sounds like you are on the right track.
The next time the check engine light comes on the car goes in for a fix.

SparkyJ

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:41 am

MrDRMorgan wrote: The next time the check engine light comes on the car goes in for a fix.
After looking at the repair procedure for changing the trans oil temp sensor, would likely be a good idea to take it in. Sensor appears to live in the oil pan, so only way is to remove the pan and of course the fluid, but filling the fluid is the tricky part as you have to have the pump running when you remove the inspection plug to make sure fluid level is correct. Seems many things are engineered to be a pita...not really how I recall gm engineering things, but times do change. Of course 2014 could be an entirely different procedure.

As a diy'er, I hope I have little to repair on this car out of warranty, even relatively easy things look like a task.

Edit; and Dr, try to get the hv battery temp vs cooling pump parameters if you have to take it in, at least will give you peace of mind. I suspect you don't have an issue.

MrDRMorgan

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:17 pm

SparkyJ wrote:
MrDRMorgan wrote: The next time the check engine light comes on the car goes in for a fix.
After looking at the repair procedure for changing the trans oil temp sensor, would likely be a good idea to take it in. Sensor appears to live in the oil pan, so only way is to remove the pan and of course the fluid, but filling the fluid is the tricky part as you have to have the pump running when you remove the inspection plug to make sure fluid level is correct. Seems many things are engineered to be a pita...not really how I recall gm engineering things, but times do change. Of course 2014 could be an entirely different procedure.

As a diy'er, I hope I have little to repair on this car out of warranty, even relatively easy things look like a task.

Edit; and Dr, try to get the hv battery temp vs cooling pump parameters if you have to take it in, at least will give you peace of mind. I suspect you don't have an issue.
That is even a bigger concern - does the tech even know how to diagnose a Spark EV problem and then, how the repair is to be done? I suspect only some sharp Chevy VOLT tech will have any idea how to fix the Spark EV. Perhaps, now that the Bolt has been out for a couple of years, the techs may be more knowledgeable.

I have not had any problems with either my 2014 or 2016 Spark EV. But, I did have the check engine light go on in my leased 2015 Spark EV. I was told a battery charging module had failed. It took 6 weeks to get the part. When I picked up the car to wait for the part, I was told I would not be able to use DCFC charging until the module was replaced, but I could use L1 and L2 EVSE charging. So, I tried DCFC anyhow and it worked fine. The charging module was replaced and I had no more problems other than I lost about 1.5 kWh of battery capacity. I recently measured the HV battery capacity for a friend of mine who has a leased 2015 Spark EV. His battery capacity measured 14.8 kWh at about 30k miles. Ouch!

MrDRMorgan

Fri May 03, 2019 2:37 pm

Well, it has been a while but my wife just reported the Service Vehicle Soon light came on in our 2014 Spark EV. I checked the code and it was my old friend P0713 again. It is possible this is occurring as the summer temperatures approach. I cleared the code and all is well. Next time it occurs, I will probably take the car to the dealer so they can replace the sensor - under warranty!

MrDRMorgan

Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:04 pm

Darn light came on again today. TorquePro showed the transmission temperature was -10 deg. C! It seems this is only happening in very hot weather. I cleared the code which reset the light and, if it comes on again - which it will - the car is going to the dealer. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

NORTON

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:30 am

Clearly the temp sensor or the wiring has something wrong.
I doubt it is a serious problem.
But if you have a warranty,, why not! :)
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC.
+67 K miles. Mostly free electrons! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.

Return to “News and Main Chevy Spark EV Forum”