Taxman

Re: Bad 12V battery equals disabled car

Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:18 am

sTeeve wrote: They take me to Enterprise Rental, who gives me...wait for it...a Suburban. Ginormous fully optioned beached whale. Jeepers. :mrgreen:
Now that'll easily match the fuel cost of your EV. ;)
If you return it with an empty tank, who pays the fill charge?

jth4

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:30 pm

Hi everybody. Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. It helped me and the dealership diagnose a non-start on my 2016 Chevy EV. I was running it in Accessory Mode which drained the 12v battery. It couldn't be jumped, so had to be towed. When I sent the dealership links to this thread, they had a new battery installed that day!

Moral of the story: don't use Accessory Mode! If you just start the car like normal, the 12v won't drain.

Thanks again! And hope everybody's enjoying the clean speed of the Spark! It's a fun ride for sure!

MrDRMorgan

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:42 pm

jth4 wrote:
Hi everybody. Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. It helped me and the dealership diagnose a non-start on my 2016 Chevy EV. I was running it in Accessory Mode which drained the 12v battery. It couldn't be jumped, so had to be towed. When I sent the dealership links to this thread, they had a new battery installed that day!

Moral of the story: don't use Accessory Mode! If you just start the car like normal, the 12v won't drain.

Thanks again! And hope everybody's enjoying the clean speed of the Spark! It's a fun ride for sure!
YEP! A bad 12 volt AGM battery can turn your road rocket into a road rock! :lol:

NORTON

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:19 am

jth4 wrote:

Another factor in the life of the 12V battery is it's history of sitting unused, unloved on dealership parking lots for months at a time.
All lead acid batteries degrade if allowed to self discharge and stay there.
Plus these cars have the Onstar (cellular) and key fob receivers powered up all the time.

Mine is hanging in there at +4 yrs, maybe over 5 yrs.
I put an anti-sulfation charger on it occasionally for a few days when I'm not using it. That may help...
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC.
+68 K miles. Mostly free electrons! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.

SparkE

Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:47 am

NORTON wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:19 am
Mine is hanging in there at +4 yrs, maybe over 5 yrs.
I put an anti-sulfation charger on it occasionally for a few days when I'm not using it. That may help...
*definitely* !! I try and charge mine at least once a month, overnight, using a very low power, AGM-safe 'smart' trickle charger (0.8 amps). (By 'smart', I mean that it knows when the battery is full and stops charging.) I plug it in before bedtime and unplug it in the morning, fully charged.

Return to “Batteries and Charging”