Creaking/popping noise coming from the front

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzzzzzzz

I've recently developed a creaking/popping noises from the front of the car. It's usually 2 or 3 faint "pops" at acceleration from a top and the same "pops" when braking. Didn't find anything on this forum, but on some Volt and Bolt forums, owners have had similar issues and fixes (or just diagnoses), leading up to front axle replacement or adding grease to the front sway bar links, to name a couple.

My Spark now has 42k miles, so I don't know exactly what my warranty situation is. Anyone have any ideas or experience this issue? Thanks!

I have the same problem, but it doesn't do it all the time. I told the dealership when they had my spark it was making a popping/grinding noise on acceleration and turns and of course they couldn't replicate it.

I had to get a brand new battery back at 15k miles haha.

Some Volts have an issue with the Hub to Axle nut needing to be re-tightened. A 'clicking noise' on accel and regen braking.

This sounds like the thing you may be hearing.
But if you can't get it to happen with a dealer tech on board it will be hard to convince them to do that work.

Good Luck,,,,

Ah, interesting if it's just the axle nut.

Tonight I will try to get a 32mm socket and see if this is indeed torqued less then the specified 185 ft/lbs. Reading the Volt threads, it appears the common fix has been 1) re-torquing the nut to 185 ft/lbs, and/or 2) replacing the nut with a Chevrolet updated 36mm nut and thicker, tanged washer, which goes behind the hub.

So an (unproductive) update on this....

I went into Autozone and picked up the spindle axle nut socket set and a 250 ft/lbs 1/2" drive torque wrench. Pulled the middle cap off the wheel and discovered the axle nut on there was actually 36mm. I couldn't get the socket through the wheel center opening so I removed the wheel and unfortunately found the socket OD was too large to fit through the ID of the hub.

So now I have to find a thinner walled 36mm socket....

Back