Electrify America Charging Station Problems

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another update: EA contacted me and wanted more details about what happened to me in Waco and also what I've found around town. I told them everything I could remember and mentioned about our data points here. They said they might be contacting me for more help so we shall see.

A10Pilot said:
MrDRMorgan said:
JAMMan said:
WOW! Great work all!
Hopefully we can see some progress here because using the ABB machines will allow me to travel farther out northeast! Plus as EA gains popularity and market share, we don't want to be excluded from the network access!
Exactly! If, using PlugShare, you review the current and proposed EA locations, the travel possibilities for a Spark EV with DCFC are fantastic when the chargers work. Like the BTC Power chargers - the EA phone APP works great too! I am hopeful that EA will be able to quickly rectify the ABB charger problem and quickly complete all of the EA charging locations so we Spark EV drivers can push the travel limits of our EVs.

GOOD NEWS! On Monday, I have an appointment to meet with the EA Technicians at the Livermore, CA location to see if they can determine why the ABB chargers do not work for Spark EVs.

Hey that's great to hear! I hope it gets resolved. EA is doing a great job imo of filling in major routes across the country and I want them to succeed!
I really want them to succeed too! Once their chargers work for Spark EVs and are all up and running, we Spark EV drivers can really stretch the distance we can travel. I am committed to do everything I can to help them resolve the Spark EV charging problem. The BTCP EA chargers work great. It is the EA ABB chargers that are causing problems.

If there is one thing I would ask of all Spark EV drivers, it is this - If you encounter an EA charging problem, don't call them and rake them over the coals. Instead, try to contribute to resolving the problem so we all can benefit. Thanks.

15 July 2019 update: Good meeting today at the EA chargers in Livermore, CA. I met with a representative from EA and a technical representative from ABB, the manufacturer of the chargers. The ABB rep took a lot of charger data as I demonstrated multiple times on two chargers that my 2016 Spark EV could not charge. He will take this data back to ABB and start working on a fix. He did confirm that Spark EVs are having ABB charging problems across the US.

After the meeting, I drove over to the EVgo charger in the same shopping center and charged without any problems.

18 July 2019 Update: Today I received a call from EA customer service. Using the data ABB took on Monday, July 15, ABB was able to isolate the problem. Now they have to take it to GM for discussion and, hopefully, resolution.

MrDRMorgan said:
15 July 2019 update: Good meeting today at the EA chargers in Livermore, CA. I met with a representative from EA and a technical representative from ABB, the manufacturer of the chargers. The ABB rep took a lot of charger data as I demonstrated multiple times on two chargers that my 2016 Spark EV could not charge. He will take this data back to ABB and start working on a fix. He did confirm that Spark EVs are having ABB charging problems across the US.

After the meeting, I drove over to the EVgo charger in the same shopping center and charged without any problems.

18 July 2019 Update: Today I received a call from EA customer service. Using the data ABB took on Monday, July 15, ABB was able to isolate the problem. Now they have to take it to GM for discussion and, hopefully, resolution.

WOW! You're a champ! Thank you for this progress - Looking forward to some resolution

Today I attempted to DCFC my 2015 Spark EV at an Electrify America station in Madera California. I had 10% left on my battery so I thought I was good to go. Well, as it turns out the have 4/6 chargers operational. As i found out all the chargers are ABB chargers so they did not work. I have been using the EV charger in Fresno which works great but I found out that is a BTCP charger. I had to go to a L2 and then I want to the EVgo DCFC in Madera which is also a BTCP charger.

I really hope this gets fixed because EA is installing five chargers in my area and I visited two today and they both have ABB chargers. Also, I think it's great they have partnered with Walmart but there are a lot of homeless people that live in the parking lots of Walmart. Not really what you want hanging around when you are sitting in the car charging.

albonilla said:
Today I attempted to DCFC my 2015 Spark EV at an Electrify America station in Madera California. I had 10% left on my battery so I thought I was good to go. Well, as it turns out the have 4/6 chargers operational. As i found out all the chargers are ABB chargers so they did not work. I have been using the EV charger in Fresno which works great but I found out that is a BTCP charger. I had to go to a L2 and then I want to the EVgo DCFC in Madera which is also a BTCP charger.

I really hope this gets fixed because EA is installing five chargers in my area and I visited two today and they both have ABB chargers. Also, I think it's great they have partnered with Walmart but there are a lot of homeless people that live in the parking lots of Walmart. Not really what you want hanging around when you are sitting in the car charging.
When I met separately with the Project Manager from EA I suggested they pull all of the ABB chargers in Livermore, CA and replace them with BTCPower chargers. I also jokingly suggested EA install BTCPower chargers at their Castro Valley location currently under construction. I, too, hope ABB gets this fixed. I need both locations to be up and working.

Not knowing diddly about DCFC manufacturer brands, (I only have 50kW Efacec's in my area and they work),
if the chargers work on some EV's and not others,,,

It's not the hardware. It's the software.

Get the nerds to fix it. :D

That's why they make the mediocre bucks ! :?

Has there been any update on this problem? I literally could go twice the distance if the darn charger would work.

Restoman said:
Has there been any update on this problem? I literally could go twice the distance if the darn charger would work.

I would like to tell you they are fixed. But, I can't! I have called twice for an update and all I was told was they are working on it. About all I can tell you is that the EA chargers manufactured by BTCPower do work. After reviewing photos on PlugShare, I see there is a visual difference between ABB chargers and BTCPower chargers. ABB charger cabinets have a flat top and are painted green inside the opening at the top of the charger. BTCPower charger cabinets are rounded at the top and the opening at the top of the cabinet is not painted green.

It would help separate ABB from BTCP chargers if Spark EV drivers would take pictures of the cabinets at locations where they charge or attempt to charge and post them on PlugShare. I have also seen a couple of photos posted on PlugShare showing the manufacturer's sticker found on the cabinet too. This really helps me identify where the BTCPower chargers are located.

As I find them, I have started a list of all Electrify America BTCPower charger locations in California. I am finding Electrify America is using a mixture of BTCP and ABB stations all over California.

So, these are the BTCP charging stations?
img_8479.jpg

ElDobro said:
So, these are the BTCP charging stations?
img_8479.jpg
Great photo - THANKS! Yes, these are BTCPower chargers. You can identify them by the rounded top and the lack of green paint on the inside of the open space at the top. If you have access to the chargers, you can also verify they are from BTCPower by looking at the manufacturer's sticker on the side of the charger.

Where is this Walmart located?

I can't hep you where that Walmart is, I did a search on BTCP and that photo popped up.

Here is another question I have for Spark EV drivers who charge at DCFC stations. When inserting the plug from the DCFC charger into the socket on the Spark EV, do you hear an audible CLICK? I have a theory that possibly the charging problems at EA stations with ABB chargers is that the latch on the plug, that snaps into place [CLICK] when the plug is inserted into the socket, is not dropping into place in the socket and thus preventing charging from starting.

My favorite and most reliable EVgo station has been down for months. It was finally put back into service. My first attempt to charge at this station failed miserably. One thing I did notice was that the CLICK was now missing. Multiple attempts also failed. I suspect the latch on the plug is not dropping correctly into place in the socket on the car and this is preventing charging from initiating.

Update: I retried my favorite EVgo DCFC station this afternoon. First attempt failed but the second attempt worked without any problems. There is an error notice for the ChaDeMo connection. I also rechecked an EA station at The Livermore Premium Outlets - ABB charger. Did not work and the plug seated and CLICKED as expected but I still could not initiate a charging session.

Looking at photos on PlugShare of a recently opened EA site, I saw that all three towers are BTCP made, while a soon to open EA site has nine towers, all ABB. It would certainly be nice if ABB can figure out the problem.

ElDobro said:
Looking at photos on PlugShare of a recently opened EA site, I saw that all three towers are BTCP made, while a soon to open EA site has nine towers, all ABB. It would certainly be nice if ABB can figure out the problem.
I hope ABB will figure out a fix and apply it to all ABB chargers. But realistically, with only about 7500 Spark EVs made and a good number of them without DCFC capability, it might be cheaper for ABB, GM and EA to just ignore the problem. I have noticed Chevy Bolts seem to charge at the EA ABB chargers without any problems.

I have called EA for updates and all I get is the "they are working on it" response. Here in Central California, EA has a mixture of ABB and BTCPower chargers all along HWY 99. This makes planning trips along Hwy 99 and other directions a real pain in the butt since Spark EV drivers need to check each location to make sure they can charge and keep going. The best solution so far is for EV drivers to take photos of the chargers and, if not already posted, post them on PlugShare so we can determine whether the chargers are ABB which DO NOT work for Spark EVs or BTCPower chargers which DO work.

I have found the BTCPower chargers work great for charging my 2016 Spark EV and the EA APP works great too.

MrDRMorgan said:
I have noticed Chevy Bolts seem to charge at the EA ABB chargers without any problems.
I thought I read somewhere that early Bolts had charging problems, but it may have been another problem.

^ my understanding is certain EA stations have not worked properly when 1st being setup regardless of what car tries to actually charge at the station BUT the Bolt EV does NOT have the same issue as the Spark EV when it comes to EA DCFC.

MrDRMorgan said:
The best solution so far is for EV drivers to take photos of the chargers and, if not already posted, post them on PlugShare so we can determine whether the chargers are ABB which DO NOT work for Spark EVs or BTCPower chargers which DO work.

Speaking of which - I know you've mentioned certain physical differences that help identify. Could you paste two pictures and specifically point out the differences? I'm having a hard time visualizing when you say one has "a rounded top with green" or what makes that different from the other kind.

Thanks!

JAMMan said:
MrDRMorgan said:
The best solution so far is for EV drivers to take photos of the chargers and, if not already posted, post them on PlugShare so we can determine whether the chargers are ABB which DO NOT work for Spark EVs or BTCPower chargers which DO work.

Speaking of which - I know you've mentioned certain physical differences that help identify. Could you paste two pictures and specifically point out the differences? I'm having a hard time visualizing when you say one has "a rounded top with green" or what makes that different from the other kind.

Thanks!
Log onto plugshare.com and find the Electrify America chargers located at the Walmart SuperCenter at 3400 Floral Ave., Selma, CA. Note the photos - these are ABB chargers. Note the square top and green-painted surfaces located inside the large opening at the top of the charger.
Then locate the Electrify America chargers located at the Walmart SuperCenter at 7065 N. Ingram Ave., Fresno, CA. Note the rounded top and no green-painted surfaces inside the large opening at the top of the charger. These are BTCPower chargers.
I hope this helps you figure out the differences between the two chargers.
Note: I just checked BTCPower's website and they show a charger with the rounded top and green-painted surfaces on the inside of the large opening at the top of the charger. I have not seen any of these but some photos on PlugShare do show the large opening lit up with green lights at night. The best bet is to check the manufacturer's label on the charger.

Back