Electrify America Charging Station Problems

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris101 said:
^ my understanding is certain EA stations have not worked properly when 1st being setup regardless of what car tries to actually charge at the station BUT the Bolt EV does NOT have the same issue as the Spark EV when it comes to EA DCFC.
I would agree with you. The San Francisco Premium Outlets located in California had 10 EA ABB chargers. They are not being used much but I do see Chevy Bolts charging there. I have tried charging my 2016 Spark EV on all 10 chargers and not one worked. I had the same experience at 4 EA ABB chargers in Patterson, CA.

It has been almost 3 months since I first met with the ABB rep at the chargers in Livermore, CA and I still cannot charge there.

MrDRMorgan said:
It has been almost 3 months since I first met with the ABB rep at the chargers in Livermore, CA and I still cannot charge there.

Thank you for your Help MrDRMorgan!

Also, I randomly came across this Spark/Bolt EV Post regarding charging issues even mentioning your post on Plugshare: https://www.torquenews.com/8861/fixing-chevy-bolt-ev-and-spark-ev-charging-systems

Hopefully we can find some resolution as the EA chargers bridge a MAJOR gap between some big cities for me...

JAMMan said:
MrDRMorgan said:

Thank you for your Help MrDRMorgan!

Also, I randomly came across this Spark/Bolt EV Post regarding charging issues even mentioning your post on Plugshare: https://www.torquenews.com/8861/fixing-chevy-bolt-ev-and-spark-ev-charging-systems

Hopefully we can find some resolution as the EA chargers bridge a MAJOR gap between some big cities for me...
Thanks for pointing out the interesting article. I really hope GM and ABB get this problem fixed quickly as I would really like to be able to use the entire EA network here in California.

Funny thing, I checked Plugshare for the EA station at a local Target, tonight and a Bolt owner complained he couldn't get the car to charge, even with help from EA.

ElDobro said:
Funny thing, I checked Plugshare for the EA station at a local Target, tonight and a Bolt owner complained he couldn't get the car to charge, even with help from EA.
Where is that Target located? I would like to review the driver's post. I have seen a few other Bolt charging failures too. Many complain about having to hold up the heavy cable. I have also noticed the plug sometimes has to be forcefully rotated to properly fit in the socket in the car. That is not good for the socket as it might crack or break.

Try this. These only put out 50kw, so the cables aren't real heavy.
https://www.plugshare.com/location/172095

ElDobro said:
Try this. These only put out 50kw, so the cables aren't real heavy.
https://www.plugshare.com/location/172095
There is also a Kona Electric that had charger problems 6 days earlier. I checked the photos on PlugShare for this site and noticed these are BTCPower chargers (rounded top). That surprised me as I have not had any problems charging my Spark EV using BTCPower chargers. My problems all occur on EA chargers manufactured by ABB. Regardless, Electrify America needs to really jump on these problems and quickly get them fixed.

It has been three months since I met with representatives from Electrify America and ABB and clearly demonstrated how I could not charge at any of the 10 EA chargers manufactured by ABB that are located at the San Francisco Premium Outlets in Livermore, CA. I am still waiting for a response and a fix.

Hey! I've also had this problem with my spark and got stranded in a small town that didn't have any other quick chargers. Had to get a tow to the next town over. The person AT EA support at least gave be a couple free sessions, but acknowledged it was a software issue and quoted from this exact thread lol. I hope it can get fixed soon! EA seems to be the fastest expanding DCFC network around me.

Ramerica said:
Hey! I've also had this problem with my spark and got stranded in a small town that didn't have any other quick chargers. Had to get a tow to the next town over. The person AT EA support at least gave be a couple free sessions, but acknowledged it was a software issue and quoted from this exact thread lol. I hope it can get fixed soon! EA seems to be the fastest expanding DCFC network around me.
What was the location where you experienced the charging problem? I feel like I am getting stonewalled by EA as I request status reports - I get no response. Perhaps Spark EV drivers, who experience this same charging problem with EA chargers (ABB and not BTCPpower), should also start squawking to EA customer service. The more noise the better.

I really hope EA gets this problem resolved. The EA chargers from BTCPower seem to work great as I have had no problems charging using BTCPower chargers at a number of locations in the Sacramento area. Unfortunately, most of the EA chargers along HWY 99 in California are ABB chargers which currently do not work for Spark EVs.

I received a nice call today from EA customer service. I was told the "FIX" to allow Spark EVs to charge at EA stations with ABB chargers is moving forward but I could not get a specific status or estimated date when "FIX" would be implemented.

I would like to suggest Spark EV drivers, who have problems charging at EA locations with ABB chargers, go to the Electrify America website - electrifyamerica.com, click on CONTACT, and leave a message about your inability to charge at ABB chargers. Perhaps EA and ABB need a lot more encouragement to get this problem fixed quickly.

Excellant suggestion!

And note that if you plan on using EA charger at least 3 times a week, it will be cheaper than just about any other charging company if you pay their $4/mo subscription fee. Why? Members don't pay a $1 connection fee, AND the electricity is about 28% less expensive (in CA, for the Spark : 0.18 instead of 0.25 per minute)!

The Spark sucks in electrons up to about 75% full at its highest rate, 133-135 Amps, 53-54 kW (depending on temp, it could be a *lot* lower).

I'm just waiting for these stations to all go live, and work.

Funny how right after EVgo raised their prices, and ChargePoint prices on the new installs on I-5 were higher than their other DCFCs, EA *lowered* their prices (for cars pulling less than 70 kW, like the Spark).

Each week I drive from my home to Oakland and back. The round trip is about 130 miles and I charge both ways at the EVgo chargers located in the San Francisco Premium Outlets in Livermore, CA. My average cost is $0.35 to $0.37 per kWh. $9.00 of my total monthly charging cost is covered by my $9.00 monthly EVgo membership fee. My average miles / kWh is 5.0 to 5.3 for the entire round trip and with two adults in the car. With winter approaching, it will be a bit tougher to make the trip as I will be using the heater. The EA charger going in at the B of A in Castro Valley will eliminate this concern. The photos on PlugShare for this site show what I believe are EA chargers from BTCPower which will work for Spark EVs.

Yesterday I took a short round trip of 170 miles to verify that Electrify America chargers manufactured by BTC Power do actually work to charge a Spark EV while those Electrify America chargers manufactured by ABB do not work. I had already experienced 100% charging failures at a number of locations with Electrify America chargers manufactured by ABB.

For my trip, I stopped at Walmart on Florin Road in Sacramento, CA, Walmart on Watt Avenue in North Highlands, CA, Rocklin Commons Shopping Center in Rocklin, CA and Walmart on Elk Grove Blvd in Elk Grove, CA. All of the locations had chargers manufactured by BTC Power except for Rocklin. In Rocklin, I was able to charge at a 350 kw Electrify America charger manufactured by Signet.

I am pleased to report that I was able to charge successfully at all locations without any problems. A real PLUS was being able to initiate and terminate charging at all four locations by using the Electrify America APP on my phone.

There's a Walmart about 8 miles from here, with 10 of the ABB charging stations. When they finally go active, I'll play the guinea pig and give them a shot. If the car won't charge, at least I'll have plenty of battery to get back.

ElDobro said:
There's a Walmart about 8 miles from here, with 10 of the ABB charging stations. When they finally go active, I'll play the guinea pig and give them a shot. If the car won't charge, at least I'll have plenty of battery to get back.
Thanks for the input. Please let me know your results when you try to charge. If you do have charging problems with the ABB chargers, it would not hurt to log onto the Electrify America website and SQUAWK! I have been told they are working on the problem but I can't seem to get a date when the problem will be corrected so Spark EVs can charge at EA ABB chargers..

MrDRMorgan said:
ElDobro said:
Thanks for the input. Please let me know your results when you try to charge. If you do have charging problems with the ABB chargers, it would not hurt to log onto the Electrify America website and SQUAWK! I have been told they are working on the problem but I can't seem to get a date when the problem will be corrected so Spark EVs can charge at EA ABB chargers..

Been waiting for about 3 months for the stations to power up, so someday it'll happen.

ElDobro said:
Been waiting for about 3 months for the stations to power up, so someday it'll happen.

Well, if you are in Calif, you be waiting a while. A *bunch* of stations all over the state are all ready to go, except for the installs of the transformers, which PG&E has to do and they have been dragging their feet for about 6 months now. Once PG&E installs the trasformers, it'll be "test, final permitting/signoff, then go live" in short order.

SparkE said:
ElDobro said:

Well, if you are in Calif, you be waiting a while. A *bunch* of stations all over the state are all ready to go, except for the installs of the transformers, which PG&E has to do and they have been dragging their feet for about 6 months now. Once PG&E installs the trasformers, it'll be "test, final permitting/signoff, then go live" in short order.

NJ here, so it's probably just waiting for someone's palm to get greased. ;)

I had another interesting experience that occurred last week. My usual DCFC was down so I tried a local EvGo station for the first time. After pulling in, I noticed the top of the machine said "ABB" on it and I had flashbacks to my terrible experience of two hours at the ABB Manufactured Electrify America station that totally failed me...

After a nervous few minutes of signing up for service and activating, everything worked great!

Unfounded fears I suppose but come on ABB, if you can make it work with your older hardware you can make it work with the newer EA hardware what's the problem? Seems like something they could fix but probably won't due to new manufacturing practices... grr...

I am glad you had a good experience with EVgo ABB chargers. I have been using EVgo ABB chargers since 2015 and I have had almost 100% charging success. If an EVgo charger was down, it was usually due to damage to the plug that connects to the car. I do have an EVgo account and I am pleased with their monthly account status reports. Overall, I give EVgo high marks.

If you need to use Electrify America (EA) chargers, look for EA chargers manufactured by BTC Power or Signet. You can check the manufacture's label on the side of the charger to determine the manufacturer. I have charged at a number of different EA chargers manufactured by BTC Power and I have not had any problems. I also have an account with EA and I activate the chargers by using the EA APP on my phone. It works great!

Finally, I have been told by Electrify America that ABB has identified a cause as to why Spark EVs cannot charge on EA chargers manufactured by ABB. But, it is anybody's guess as to when the "FIX" will be made so we Spark EV drivers can successfully charge using EA chargers manufactured by ABB.

Back