Taxman

Re: Bad 12V battery equals disabled car

Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:18 am

sTeeve wrote: They take me to Enterprise Rental, who gives me...wait for it...a Suburban. Ginormous fully optioned beached whale. Jeepers. :mrgreen:
Now that'll easily match the fuel cost of your EV. ;)
If you return it with an empty tank, who pays the fill charge?

jth4

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:30 pm

Hi everybody. Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. It helped me and the dealership diagnose a non-start on my 2016 Chevy EV. I was running it in Accessory Mode which drained the 12v battery. It couldn't be jumped, so had to be towed. When I sent the dealership links to this thread, they had a new battery installed that day!

Moral of the story: don't use Accessory Mode! If you just start the car like normal, the 12v won't drain.

Thanks again! And hope everybody's enjoying the clean speed of the Spark! It's a fun ride for sure!

MrDRMorgan

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:42 pm

jth4 wrote:
Hi everybody. Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. It helped me and the dealership diagnose a non-start on my 2016 Chevy EV. I was running it in Accessory Mode which drained the 12v battery. It couldn't be jumped, so had to be towed. When I sent the dealership links to this thread, they had a new battery installed that day!

Moral of the story: don't use Accessory Mode! If you just start the car like normal, the 12v won't drain.

Thanks again! And hope everybody's enjoying the clean speed of the Spark! It's a fun ride for sure!
YEP! A bad 12 volt AGM battery can turn your road rocket into a road rock! :lol:

NORTON

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:19 am

jth4 wrote:

Another factor in the life of the 12V battery is it's history of sitting unused, unloved on dealership parking lots for months at a time.
All lead acid batteries degrade if allowed to self discharge and stay there.
Plus these cars have the Onstar (cellular) and key fob receivers powered up all the time.

Mine is hanging in there at +4 yrs, maybe over 5 yrs.
I put an anti-sulfation charger on it occasionally for a few days when I'm not using it. That may help...
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC. +71 K miles.
Mostly free charging! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.
3 step Trouble Tree, 2nd guess not covered by warranty and cost $800. 3rd guess fixed the problem.

SparkE

Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:47 am

NORTON wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:19 am
Mine is hanging in there at +4 yrs, maybe over 5 yrs.
I put an anti-sulfation charger on it occasionally for a few days when I'm not using it. That may help...
*definitely* !! I try and charge mine at least once a month, overnight, using a very low power, AGM-safe 'smart' trickle charger (0.8 amps). (By 'smart', I mean that it knows when the battery is full and stops charging.) I plug it in before bedtime and unplug it in the morning, fully charged.

Tony

Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:22 am

I just had my share of fun with this. Parked at work and a couple hours later I was greeted with "Low Battery" on the monitor behind the steering wheel then all the other warnings lit up when it started, then no HVAC, then no monitors.

Steps to recovery:
1) I found a local AC Delco seller nearby
2) called for the battery (LN1AGM) and found nearby place with a few in stock
3) borrowed coworkers car
4) picked up a battery with a JAN19 date ($212.11 with tax, they waived core charge)
5) stopped for lunch
6) stopped at Lowe's for ratchet set (I don't live nearby for my own tools at home)
7) swapped battery and it started

If anyone else has to do similar steps, anyone that can do "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey" can do this. It's 3 bolts, the 2 on the battery terminals are 10mm and the one holding the battery in place is 13mm. The one holding the battery will require an extension common on any ratchet set (4+ inches long).

Disconnect negative (black) first and pull aside, disconnect positive (red) and set aside, remove 13mm with plastic holder that just lifts off and pull the battery out. Reconnect negative first and then positive. I heard something in the engine bay kick on once connected so I figured that was a success.

Saved me the hassle and expense of towing and expense of someone else doing it.

Total time (with research, lunch, driving, and Lowe's): 4 hours

Thanks to everyone here for helping me make educated guesses.

2014 2LT with DCFC, 31,000 miles

SparkE

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:17 am

Anyone with an EV should have a Li-Ion "jump start" unit available. They are small. You can connect it to the 12V battery, wait a minute, then start the car. Once the car is started, you can disconnect (the main battery powers/charges the 12V when the car is turned on). If the car has fits when you disconnect, then leave it connected under the hood (they are really small) and drive to a place where you can buy a new battery.

Without a working 12V battery your EV will NOT work.

NORTON

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:55 am

SparkE wrote:
...Without a working 12V battery your EV will NOT work.
This true of all cars, no?
( I guess an old manual ICE with a weak battery can be push started.... ;) )

But having a small Li-ion 'Boost Pack' or whatever they are called, can set you up to be someone's Hero some day !!! :mrgreen:
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC. +71 K miles.
Mostly free charging! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.
3 step Trouble Tree, 2nd guess not covered by warranty and cost $800. 3rd guess fixed the problem.

SparkE

Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:58 pm

NORTON wrote:
SparkE wrote:

But having a small Li-ion 'Boost Pack' or whatever they are called, can set you up to be someone's Hero some day !!! :mrgreen:
But an ICE can be jump started and then drive away in a minute. An EV generally has to be charged for several minutes before trying to start the vehicle.

MrDRMorgan

Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:23 am

SparkE wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:58 pm
NORTON wrote:
SparkE wrote:

But an ICE can be jump started and then drive away in a minute. An EV generally has to be charged for several minutes before trying to start the vehicle.
So, the question still remains unanswered. Can a Spark EV or Bolt EV, with a failing 12v AGM battery, be powered up sufficiently by a Li ion jump start battery to bring the car to life so the car can be driven home or to get a new battery? One would have to assume the 12v AGM battery does not have a shorted cell that would also drain the Li-ion jump-start battery. If this does work, Harbor Freight has a nice Li-ion jump start battery that should work great for this application.

But... why not take action to prevent a battery failure in the first place by monthly charging the 12 volt AGM battery to 100%? It has been suggested in other posts on this forum that monthly charging with a charger that also has a de-sulfating function will keep the battery healthy and extend it's life as well. I have been following this suggestion for about a year and a half now and have not had any battery problems. Out of caution, I replaced the 12 volt battery in my 2014 Spark EV just after I purchased it as a used car and started seeing battery issues pop up on this forum. My 2016 Spark EV - also purchased used - still has the original battery. Still... I like the idea of carrying a Li-ion battery for just-in-case emergencies.

Return to “Batteries and Charging”