New Chevy Spark EV owner

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randa1724

Just got a 2016 Chevy Spark ev this weekend. Found it in Oregon. Thanks to True Car. 13,000 miles and only $8800. Now it has a new home in Wisconsin.

Yes it has fast charger.
I drive 4 miles to work. Drove back and forth to work and didn't use any miles. Was averaging 7.1 miles/kw . Weather changed today and used heat, that all changed quickly. Didn't think that the heat would drop the range that quick.
One more question, what is the best tire for the front?

Get some snow tires if you plan to drive it in winter! The stock tires are absolutely horrid in snow/winter conditions (yes I speak from experience)

That being said, I just replaced the fronts with the same exact Bridgestone Ecopia tires so range wouldn't suffer

...be ready to get as bad as 46 mile range when it gets below 0 as well

Just charged it up tonight and it still at 87. Thank goodness.
Not really happy with the "150's". Drove it the other day in rain/wind and it seemed a little squirrelly.

We changed to different tires on our former 2nd Spark (much better grip) but lost 11 miles per charge in the process as fair warning.

Just keep in mind there is a break in period for tires.

And also, if you put new tires on and also the weather happens to drop 20-30° during the first few weeks of driving on the new tires,
you will definitely see less range displayed.

I have been hitting all the tire places in a twenty mile radius. Everybody is around $300 for the front two installed. I found some General Altimax RT43 at Wal-Mart for $88.99 for each tire. They get $26/tire for mount, balance, and road hazard warranty. Looks like they get pretty good reviews. I need something for snow and ice without being a snow tire.
I'm starting a log book to keep track of charging/mileage and overall expenses. Sure glad I got the level 2 charger. It is worth it's weight in gold.
Still love the car. Randy

randa1724 said:
....t for $88.99 for each tire. They get $26/tire for mount, balance, and road hazard warranty. ..
You haven't been looking everywhere.....

I hate to admit it,, but,, what about $52 tires, free shipping, no tax, then you take them to any good ol'boy tire shop and have them mounted and balanced?
I bought no name amazon tires and they are doing fine! ;)

Any new all-season tire will be as good as it can be in snow and ice.
I would love to have a set of dedicated Winter Tires, but for some unknown reason, winters are getting shorter and gentler.

Got the tires done at Wal-Mart today. Generals are really grippy. I'm sure that it will decrease once they start getting broke in. The tires seem very quiet.
I took the back roads and got 6 miles/ kwh on the way home. Randy

Just put the same Generals on a week ago and lost one mile of range but then again it's gotten colder. They were tested by CR as "Good" for rolling resistance which is likely less than a 2% difference from a tire with an "Excellent" rating from all the research I could find. My normal range is 70 miles so 2% is about 1.4 miles. The old tires were worn out Ecopias which probably had great rolling resistance so a change of 1 mile in range probably means a difference of less than 1% with the Generals. If I had range of 250 miles I would see a difference of fewer than 5 miles which I still don't think is significant. The Generals tested as having better traction and breaking all around so I'll sacrifice the 1 mile for a safer tire.

Got the General Altimax RT43 tires through Wal-Mart. $88.98/ tire (185/55R15) delivered to the store. Had Wal-Mart mount/balance tires. I also took out the road hazard warranty. To do all that plus tire disposal was just under $50. The back tires are like new so I am leaving those alone.
Had the tires on since Saturday and I am impressed with them. I could of went cheaper sure but these had good reviews. Haven't had them in the snow yet but that might not be that far away. Tires are really quite and seem like they have very good grip. Car corners very nice vs old tires. Taking in account of the tread on the old tires ( about 1/8") and the car seemed all over the road. The car rides smoother with these tires also.
Hope this answers your question. Randy

Back