Juicebox Pro 40

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabius

Can the Spark EV make full use of the Juicebox Pro 40 top rating of 40 amps? Or is the Spark's battery maximum ability lower then 40 amps? Thanks. Tom.

i asked the same question to Enel X (juicebox) and her is their response:

The Chevy Spark's onboard charger is only 3.3 kWh (14A), so I would recommend going with the JuiceBox Pro 32!

If you have any questions in the future please feel free to reply to re-open this ticket and I will be happy to help!

Emily Kluzak
Customer Support
Customer and Technical Support

Enel X North America, Inc.

I sent the following follow up question to them: If the charger is 14 amps wouldn't a 16 amp charge be good enough?

This is there answer to my followup question asking if a 16 amp was sufficient:

Hello Tom,

Yes, but most 16A home chargers do not have smart charging features available so you will not be able to use TOU (time of use) rates for reduced cost charging or be able to sign up for rewards programs in certain areas.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference and what will work best for you and your lifestyle.

Kindly,
Emily

Just an FYI, although a Juicebox Pro pro brand may not offer smart charging features, the Spark EV has some built-in features that work similar to TOU.

In charging settings in the MyLink center screen, you can set the charge to delay so that it won't start charging until middle of the night to save on electric expenses.

I own 2 JuiceBox PRO 40 EVSE units - 1 for home and 1 for work.

Yes, the Spark EV will tell the EVSE to only draw 16A max but I bought the units to future proof in case my next EV charges at higher current.

I love the smart charging features.

Other than charge finish notifications, the smart charging feature I use the most is setting the limit of my daily charge to not exceed 85% (112 kms)

Best practice for battery maintenance is to to drive between 20%-85%. Or stay close to 50% as much as possible where litium-ion batteries are most stable. Also, don't DC fast charge too often and don't leave it at full charge for long periods of time.

I only charge to full on Fridays so I have enough range for the weekends so I don't need to use the charger at home. At home I share a charger with my wife who uses it most of the time and drives a 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.

@SparkEV
I’m thinking of getting a Juicebox for my Spark.
How do you limit the charge to 85%? Do you set a maximum Kw amount in the Juicebox?

You cant restrict how much the car will charge, it will always charge to 100%... A fact that I do hate with this EV but is nice to have at times. I dont use JuiceBox so I wouldn't know how to restrict charging to a limit.

Back