sjspark

Re: Spark EV 12 volt battery

Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:02 pm

Thanks. I just ordered the CTEK charger you posted earlier (-865). Will arrive Tuesday. Will try it out then.
The picture there indicates it does de-sulphation (stage 1).
Is that not what you have? Wondering if i should cancel and buy one that does the desulphation also, if this one does not.

But I did connect the jump starter to the car battery and measured its voltage with a multi-meter (after disconnecting the jump starter).
It was at 9.70 V originally. After 5 mins, it went up to 10.40 V.
But 10 more minutes, it was back to 10.2V and after an hour or so, back to 9.92V with nothing attached to it.
As you confirmed earlier, the electric cars need the 12V battery even while driving, so it seems risky to put it back.
Besides, wife won't drive the car with the old battery in it.

Edit on CTEK 865:
So the video indicates it has 6 stages. The description shows 8 stages (adsorption and soft start and recondition ectra stages).
Wondering how important the recondition stage is. Important enough to change the order?

MrDRMorgan

Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:27 pm

sjspark wrote:
Thanks. I just ordered the CTEK charger you posted earlier (-865). Will arrive Tuesday. Will try it out then.
The picture there indicates it does de-sulphation (stage 1).
Is that not what you have? Wondering if i should cancel and buy one that does the desulphation also, if this one does not.

But I did connect the jump starter to the car battery and measured its voltage with a multi-meter (after disconnecting the jump starter).
It was at 9.70 V originally. After 5 mins, it went up to 10.40 V.
But 10 more minutes, it was back to 10.2V and after an hour or so, back to 9.92V with nothing attached to it.
As you confirmed earlier, the electric cars need the 12V battery even while driving, so it seems risky to put it back.
Besides, wife won't drive the car with the old battery in it.

Edit on CTEK 865:
So the video indicates it has 6 stages. The description shows 8 stages (adsorption and soft start and recondition ectra stages).
Wondering how important the recondition stage is. Important enough to change the order?
Definitely the 12 volt battery needs to be replaced. Make sure whatever AGM charger you order has the desulfating function. I use a BatteryMinder model 2012-AGM. I also ordered and use extension cables so I can plug into a distant wall outlet in my garage and an OBD2 plug + cable so I can charge through the OBD2 port inside of the car. It works great! I usually "freshen" the battery in each of my two Spark EVs for a minimum of 12 hours during the first week of every month.

SparkE

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:44 am

sjspark wrote:
The picture there indicates it does de-sulphation (stage 1). Is that not what you have? Wondering if i should cancel and buy one that does the desulphation also, if this one does not.

{{ description of low battery voltage }}
You definitely need a new battery - it looks as if one of your cells is completely shot (only 5 cells @ 2V are still OK, instead of the 6 it should have).

The CTEK that I have starts with a "desulphation" test, and (on my batteries) generally skips it (as not needed).

MrDrMorgan has a unit that desulphates (always) as it charges :

https://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer-Mo ... 005EKY1EM/

It also charges at a max of 2A instead of 0.8A that mine does. If I had it to do over again, I might choose the Battery Minder over the CTEK - I don't know. I do really like mine (and MrDrMorgan really likes his).

Personally, I think that it is a good idea to fully overnight trickle charge one's battery about once a month. Very true for EVs, and for ICE vehicles that don't get driven much (parked 5-7 days a week).

sjspark

Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:55 am

So I got the charger from Amazon. Tried it overnight on the dead battery. It gave out an error code , stuck in stage 1 and 8.7V in the morning. The battery is surely totally dead. The only unusual thing happened that day was PGE shut off power and then on again while car was on charge. Don't know if it has anything to do with it. Battery was 5 1/2 years old.

RockAuto delivered the battery today morning,that was promised by Thursday! I put the new one in.
Everything works perfectly! Drove it to work just to make sure the battery gets fully charged.

I give two thumbs up to Rockauto. Good price and fast delivery. Was afraid battery may not be charged. But it was.
I still don't get it why Amazon and Ebay are asking for 3x the price.

So all is good now. Hopefully this does it for next few yeas. Just surprised by the poor design of EVs.
A high voltage battery is there, still it needs another battery all the time to drive the car. I understand audio etc. can be turned off.
But to kill the accelerator pedal because of a dead 12V is a very silly design.

SparkE

Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:20 pm

I suggest that tonight you plug your brand new smart trickle charger onto your new battery, and let it fully saturate charge your new battery overnight - just unplug it in the morning (the charger is smart enough to stop charging when the battery is full).

Return to “Batteries and Charging”