Spark EV 12 volt battery

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NORTON said:
MrDRMorgan said:
....The other thing you may want to do is get an AGM 12 volt battery charger that also has a desulfating function. I make it a once-per-month practice to charge the 12 volt battery in both of my Spark EVs for 12 or more hours over night. I use a BatteryMINDer model 2012-AGM.
Yep, I have one of those and use it on all my 12 V batteries.
Only less than once a month because I'm a slacker.
I performed an aviation style Capacity Check on my Spark EV battery earlier this year and it was performing great !
A typical Automotive Load Test is not the same thing at all.
While I had my battery out of the Spark I wired in a motorcycle battery for about a month,, bc I'm a slacker.
The battery's duty is to boot up the car at start up. It's so big because legally it has to provide lights in an emergency situation and it has to power the Onstar cell phone receiver and the remote lock receiver for long term parking.

Anyway, the floating voltage differences between an AGM and a SLA battery are minimal, <0.2 Volts typically. Any 'maintainer' will help.
It's the 'Anti-Sulfation' routine that theoretically can add life to a lead acid battery.
Hey Norton! What is your current HV battery capacity? I see you have 74K miles on the car. I have just 22K on my 2014 and my current battery capacity is 15.3 kWh. What is your secret? :D

MrDRMorgan said:
Hey Norton! What is your current HV battery capacity? I see you have 74K miles on the car. I have just 22K on my 2014 and my current battery capacity is 15.3 kWh. What is your secret? :D
I can't answer that. I haven't logged in a while because of my ~24 mile one-way commute.
My routine is to plug in at work and at home during this cold weather,,, I don't like it one bit .... :(
Most of my 75k miles are on Free Public electrons. Except in the cold weather....
I have to keep the battery from getting really cold.... :| Right? I currently see 60-62 on the GOM. Heat and High Speed commuting !

I don't know why my car reads its battery capacity above the average..
I hope there isn't a secret that will come and bite me someday.... :?
I really need to figure out how to get the PIDs loaded to my Torque Pro app and see if there is any difference in those numbers.
It's just,,, it's so easy to just drive the dang thing and enjoy the lack of effort that goes into it.

NORTON said:
MrDRMorgan said:
I can't answer that. I haven't logged in a while because of my ~24 mile one-way commute.
My routine is to plug in at work and at home during this cold weather,,, I don't like it one bit .... :(
Most of my 75k miles are on Free Public electrons. Except in the cold weather....
I have to keep the battery from getting really cold.... :| Right? I currently see 60-62 on the GOM. Heat and High Speed commuting !

I don't know why my car reads its battery capacity above the average..
I hope there isn't a secret that will come and bite me someday.... :?
I really need to figure out how to get the PIDs loaded to my Torque Pro app and see if there is any difference in those numbers.
It's just,,, it's so easy to just drive the dang thing and enjoy the lack of effort that goes into it.
Thanks. Are you trying to install the PIDs on an Android device? If so, do you have the instructions? I can email them to you if you don't. I installed TorquePro on an old Nexus 7 tablet. It is slow but it works.

Back