Electrify America Charging Station Problems

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for trying the chargers! I tried a 150K one today at the same location in Vancouver WA. It worked perfectly using the phone app while holding up on the cord. After the charger started and the green light lit I was able to let go of the plug and the charge continued normally. This makes 5 documented cases of successful charging using 5 different BCC chargers in 4 different locations on 4 different Sparks. There is hope :p

thinksmall said:
Thanks for trying the chargers! I tried a 150K one today at the same location in Vancouver WA. It worked perfectly using the phone app while holding up on the cord. After the charger started and the green light lit I was able to let go of the plug and the charge continued normally. This makes 5 documented cases of successful charging using 5 different BCC chargers in 4 different locations on 4 different Sparks. There is hope :p
I hope you mean ABB chargers. I will be testing three or four ABB 150 kWh chargers today at the San Francisco Premium Outlets in Livermore, CA. None of these chargers worked for me before and there are 8 of the 150 kWh ABB chargers at this location.

17 Jan 20 Update: San Francisco Premium Outlets has 8 of the 150 KW ABB chargers. I tested 6 of the 8 chargers. 5 worked and 1 didn't. Of the other two, 1 was dead (no signs of life) and the other I will check next week. What I did notice on the one the I could not get to work was I had to significantly twist the handle to get it inserted in the DCFC socket on the car. The handles on the 5 that did work required little, if any, twisting effort to insert the handle into the DCFC socket.

thinksmall said:

Hey, this is the dude who couldn't charge in Albany! When I was stranded there, I tried just about everything I could think of with the cable and port. Is it more of an issue of the silver retainer on the spark capturing the plug?

Hi, I just got my 2016 Spark EV a couple of days ago, and I've been checking out the DCFC stations in the area (Buffalo, NY). There's not many around, but Electrify America has 4 chargers at a Walmart here. All of them are Efacec brand, two 350kw, two 150kw. I am unable to charge at any of them. I talked to customer service (extremely friendly and helpful, btw), and they said they are aware of issues with the Spark charging at both ABB and Efacec units. I held the connector at various angles, pushed/pulled/twisted, everything I could think of with no success.

The odd thing I noticed was that while it was trying to initialize, the car connected to my phone's Bluetooth, even though the car was off, and had disconnected. I noticed it first while I was on the phone with customer service, but even without being on a call, it does the same thing. I turned off my Bluetooth and tried again, just in case it would make a difference, but no dice.

Another odd thing is that despite not initializing, it does set the parking brake on the car. So it must be doing at least part of the handshake process.

I successfully charged at a fast charge point at a newly built NY welcome center, but I didn't catch the brand (definitely a lighter duty 50kw charger) or notice the Bluetooth thing.

I am currently at a Bosch 25kw DCFC at a chevy dealer (there's a few around, and oddly enough they don't show up on onstar's list of charge points) and it didn't turn my Bluetooth on while initializing.

Edit: here's the Walmart location with Efacec chargers.
https://www.plugshare.com/location/166722

Ramerica said:
thinksmall said:

Hey, this is the dude who couldn't charge in Albany! When I was stranded there, I tried just about everything I could think of with the cable and port. Is it more of an issue of the silver retainer on the spark capturing the plug?
Yesterday, I tried 6 of the EA ABB chargers where last year I could not get any of them to work. 5 of 6 worked using a method another Spark EV driver posted. Here is what I I did:

1. Pull up close to the charger so the left cable is aligned with the left side of your Spark EV.
2. Turn on your phone and activate the Electrify America APP. Locate the charging location and charger you are going to use. Go to the screen that starts the charging cycle by sliding you finger across the screen.
3. Plug the charger handle into the car's DCFC socket. If you have to use anything but a light twisting force to get the handle and socket to align, it probably will not work.
3. Plug the handle into the DCFC socket and make sure it is completely seated in the socket.
4. Gently push in on and lift the handle to counter any pulling by the heavy cable.
5. While doing step 4, activate charging on your phone by sliding your finger across the screen as shown on the screen. I put a piece of anti-slip material on my hood and put the phone on it so I can use one hand to activate charging while supporting the handle.
6. The charger screen should show INITIALIZING. Continue to hold the handle in place until you hear the car's horn beep. Then you can release the handle and the car should be charging and will continue until the battery is full or you interrupt charging.

Please let me know if this works for you. I am beginning to think the heavy charging cable plus having to forcefully twist the handle to get it into the socket may be the problem.

Yes, ABB chargers not BCC. Thanks for the correction. I am old and my brain sometimes fails me! Thankfully most other parts still function, ha ha. It looks like we are getting somewhere with this problem. I wonder if replacing the Spark charge port might fix the problem? Maybe the one on the Bolt would work. It would be interesting to closely inspect the Spark and Bolt sockets side by side.

Randy960. Has your Spark had the charge port mod done? There is a tread about it here somewhere or google it. Mine is a 2016 and when I first got it I could not get it to charge on my nearest fast charger which is an eVgo brand. After the simple mod it has always worked fine except on the ABB chargers. Oh, here is a link to the mod info. Hope this helps.

https://sparkev.blogspot.com/2015/09/solution-problem-with-dc-fast-charge.html

MRDRMorgan. Thanks much for all your input!

thinksmall said:
Yes, ABB chargers not BCC. Thanks for the correction. I am old and my brain sometimes fails me! Thankfully most other parts still function, ha ha. It looks like we are getting somewhere with this problem. I wonder if replacing the Spark charge port might fix the problem? Maybe the one on the Bolt would work. It would be interesting to closely inspect the Spark and Bolt sockets side by side.

Randy960. Has your Spark had the charge port mod done? There is a tread about it here somewhere or google it. Mine is a 2016 and when I first got it I could not get it to charge on my nearest fast charger which is an eVgo brand. After the simple mod it has always worked fine except on the ABB chargers. Oh, here is a link to the mod info. Hope this helps.

Supposedly, the charging port was fixed for the 2016 model. Mine *looks* like the correct shape. I personally haven't done anything to it.

Randy960 said:
thinksmall said:

Supposedly, the charging port was fixed for the 2016 model. Mine *looks* like the correct shape. I personally haven't done anything to it.
When I leased my first Spark EV, a 2015 2LT with DCFC, I had charging problems at the one EVgo DCFC station in my area. I carefully made the charge port modification and most of the problems went away. I also found that there is an o-ring in the handle that creates a tight seal with the socket in the car. Occasionally, it would not slide freely into the socket. A little coating of HV spark plug grease fixed the problem.

Chevy modified the socket for the 2016 model year.

I tried one of the Efacec chargers again today. I looked closer at my charger port, and it's definitely the correct shape. I added some dielectric grease, and pulled up to the charger at a 45 degree angle so that the connector had no twist. It definitely felt like it clicked in easier and more solidly, but still didn't work.

I stopped at that NY welcome center again to charge, and the chargers are all 50kw BTCPower units. So far, they all work fine.

Randy960 said:
I tried one of the Efacec chargers again today. I looked closer at my charger port, and it's definitely the correct shape. I added some dielectric grease, and pulled up to the charger at a 45 degree angle so that the connector had no twist. It definitely felt like it clicked in easier and more solidly, but still didn't work.

I stopped at that NY welcome center again to charge, and the chargers are all 50kw BTCPower units. So far, they all work fine.
1. Was the max power of the Efacec charger 150 kw or 350 kw?
2. How did you activate the charging session?
3. Did you support the handle so the weight of the cable did not "stress" the DCFC socket in the car?

I tried one EA 350 kw charger a couple of weeks ago at Walmart in Turlock, CA and I could not get it to work either. I was able to get the 150 kw EA ABB charger to work.

MrDRMorgan said:
Randy960 said:

1. Was the max power of the Efacec charger 150 kw or 350 kw?
2. How did you activate the charging session?
3. Did you support the handle so the weight of the cable did not "stress" the DCFC socket in the car?

I tried one EA 350 kw charger a couple of weeks ago at Walmart in Turlock, CA and I could not get it to work either. I was able to get the 150 kw EA ABB charger to work.

This time I tried a 150kw unit, and I supported the handle, and used the app so I could keep it held in place.

The consistency with which it fails makes me think it's not an "almost working" type of problem. It starts to initialize, tries to latch, fails to latch, and shows an error on the screen seemingly the exact same way every time. Either the connector is just not capable of latching in correctly, or it's a software issue on the charger/car/both.

Today, I drove over to Patterson, CA to retest the two 150 KW ABB chargers that would not initiate a few months ago when I first tried them. I am pleased to report that both chargers initiated and charged on the first attempt. I supported the handle as previously mentioned and initiated the charging session using the EA APP on my phone.

I have now successfully charged on 150 KW EA ABB chargers located at Walmart in Turlock, CA, Walmart in Patterson, CA and at the San Francisco Premium Outlets in Livermore, CA. EA is currently installing chargers at Walmart in Tracy, CA and I will be testing the 150 KW chargers there just as soon as they are open to the public.

Yesterday I received a call from EA customer support to let me know, if I understood correctly, EA was rolling out the "FIX" for EA 150 kW chargers manufactured by ABB. Hopefully, soon Spark EVs will be able to successfully charge at all EA locations that are using EA's 150 KW chargers manufactured by ABB.

Randy960 said:
Hopefully that means they'll have a fix for the Efacec chargers as well.
I would suggest you either call Electrify America or log onto Electrify America's website and enter a complaint about the problems you are having with the Efacec chargers. Be specific in describing exactly what happens when you try to charge. Offer to drive to the charger and demonstrate the problem. This is what I did. I offered to meet the EA rep at the problem chargers and demonstrate the problem. EA, in turn, invited a rep from ABB to attend too. I am thankful they took me seriously and fixed the problem. I hope other Spark EV drivers will now be able to charge at the EA ABB 150 kW chargers too.

Now, if EA would install 150 KW chargers along Hwy 99 here in Manteca, CA, I would be a real happy camper. My two nearest EA locations are 18 miles away in Tracy, CA and 25 miles away in Stockton, CA along I-5. Both are currently under construction. I am told ChargePoint will soon be installing DCFC chargers in a shopping center only 1 mile from my home.

MrDRMorgan said:
Randy960 said:
Hopefully that means they'll have a fix for the Efacec chargers as well.
I would suggest you either call Electrify America or log onto Electrify America's website and enter a complaint about the problems you are having with the Efacec chargers. Be specific in describing exactly what happens when you try to charge. Offer to drive to the charger and demonstrate the problem. This is what I did. I offered to meet the EA rep at the problem chargers and demonstrate the problem. EA, in turn, invited a rep from ABB to attend too. I am thankful they took me seriously and fixed the problem. I hope other Spark EV drivers will now be able to charge at the EA ABB 150 kW chargers too.

Now, if EA would install 150 KW chargers along Hwy 99 here in Manteca, CA, I would be a real happy camper. My two nearest EA locations are 18 miles away in Tracy, CA and 25 miles away in Stockton, CA along I-5. Both are currently under construction. I am told ChargePoint will soon be installing DCFC chargers in a shopping center only 1 mile from my home.

The second time I tried it, I called and explained everything. But I intend to write it out thoroughly for them.

Here was my email to Electrify America.
Chargers: 100269-01 through 04

I have been unable to successfully charge my 2016 Chevy Spark at any of the 4 chargers at that location. I did talk to someone at customer service (who was extremely helpful and friendly, by the way), but was still unable to get it to work. I have been following a discussion on a Spark EV forum about issues with using your chargers, and have tried all of their suggestions on parking angles and supporting the cable/connector in various ways. Early Sparks had issues with the design of the socket on the car, but mine was produced after they fixed that, and it appears to be the correct shape. I have no issues charging at any of the 50kw BTCPower chargers we have locally at a NY welcome center, or at the 25kw Bosch chargers located at some Chevy dealers, so the car is capable of using DCFC.
There are a few things that I have noticed while trying to use your chargers. While attempting to initialize, it does correctly set the parking brake. So at least part of the handshake process is working. However, the odd thing I have noticed is that while it is trying to initialize, the car connects to my phone's Bluetooth, despite the car being off. This is not the case at any other fast charger I have tried. This leads me to believe that it must be a software issue in the charger, the car, or both. Perhaps during initialization, the car is turning on, or partially on, or into a precondition mode. Something that would cause the stereo to think it should be turning on, and also rejecting a fast charge connection due to the not being "off".
If you wanted to arrange a meeting so a tech can see the error in person, I can do that. My cell number is **********, or email me at *******.

PS, one random suggestion. I know that your company is focusing on installing these super-fast chargers as a push for EV manufacturers to build faster charging cars, which I think is a fantastic idea. However, since you are aware of a significant amount of issues with these new 150 and 350kw units, why not install one 50kw charger at each location? They are cheaper and already proven, and they can be replaced with higher power units later. I believe most CHAdeMO cars only charge at 50kw anyway, so you could have one 50kw CHAdeMO/CCS charger for the Leaf owners and the people with picky CCS cars, and your new super-fast units as the rest of the chargers.

I will share whatever response I get.

Randy960 said:
Here was my email to Electrify America.
Chargers: 100269-01 through 04

I have been unable to successfully charge my 2016 Chevy Spark at any of the 4 chargers at that location. I did talk to someone at customer service (who was extremely helpful and friendly, by the way), but was still unable to get it to work. I have been following a discussion on a Spark EV forum about issues with using your chargers, and have tried all of their suggestions on parking angles and supporting the cable/connector in various ways. Early Sparks had issues with the design of the socket on the car, but mine was produced after they fixed that, and it appears to be the correct shape. I have no issues charging at any of the 50kw BTCPower chargers we have locally at a NY welcome center, or at the 25kw Bosch chargers located at some Chevy dealers, so the car is capable of using DCFC.
There are a few things that I have noticed while trying to use your chargers. While attempting to initialize, it does correctly set the parking brake. So at least part of the handshake process is working. However, the odd thing I have noticed is that while it is trying to initialize, the car connects to my phone's Bluetooth, despite the car being off. This is not the case at any other fast charger I have tried. This leads me to believe that it must be a software issue in the charger, the car, or both. Perhaps during initialization, the car is turning on, or partially on, or into a precondition mode. Something that would cause the stereo to think it should be turning on, and also rejecting a fast charge connection due to the not being "off".
If you wanted to arrange a meeting so a tech can see the error in person, I can do that. My cell number is **********, or email me at *******.

PS, one random suggestion. I know that your company is focusing on installing these super-fast chargers as a push for EV manufacturers to build faster charging cars, which I think is a fantastic idea. However, since you are aware of a significant amount of issues with these new 150 and 350kw units, why not install one 50kw charger at each location? They are cheaper and already proven, and they can be replaced with higher power units later. I believe most CHAdeMO cars only charge at 50kw anyway, so you could have one 50kw CHAdeMO/CCS charger for the Leaf owners and the people with picky CCS cars, and your new super-fast units as the rest of the chargers.

I will share whatever response I get.
Way to GO! EA's BTCPower chargers have been great for me. I just finished testing all of the EA ABB 150 kWh chargers within a 45 mile radius from my home and I found almost all were now working. There are two in Livermore that did not work. One EA knew about. The other one they will have to check. But... I now have 5 working EA ABB 150 kWh chargers at this location. It was ZERO! last year.

Back