Electrify America Charging Station Problems

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to note that I got a successful session with an ABB Electrify America Station to work. The station was in Brigham City, UT and I had tried it a few times before and it gave me the same errors as the one in Salt Lake City UT, Scipio UT and Beaver UT.

I will try the Salt Lake ABB EA unit with a few other model years of the Spark EV to see if they work too. Hopefully my climbing partner will feel up for another long distance drive this coming weekend (just completed a 400 mile trip from Payson UT to Logan UT in a Spark EV) so we can try the southern units out.

MrDRMorgan said:
Randy960 said:
So the weather has warmed up enough (plus an endless amount of free time) that I had the range to go try the next closest EA station in Fredonia, NY. They are also Efacec units like the location closer to me. I tried all four with no success (and then doused myself with sanitizer and went home).
Did you try supporting the handle and heavy cable during the initialization process until the car's horn honked? That seems to be the only way to get the EA ABB chargers to work for a Spark EV. I have never seen or used an Efacec charger so I do not know if what I suggested will work or not. But, it is worth a try.

Yeah, I'm quite familiar with the process now. As long as you park so that you don't have to twist the handle, it clicks in quite nicely. During initialization, I've tried a few different methods just to see what it does. Actually, the only time it has done anything different is when I tried squeezing the trigger mid-initialization, it actually seemed to partially latch, and took longer to decide it couldn't connect. The rest of the time it fails very consistently, leading to my suspicion of software issues.

Randy960 said:
MrDRMorgan said:
Randy960 said:
So the weather has warmed up enough (plus an endless amount of free time) that I had the range to go try the next closest EA station in Fredonia, NY. They are also Efacec units like the location closer to me. I tried all four with no success (and then doused myself with sanitizer and went home).
Did you try supporting the handle and heavy cable during the initialization process until the car's horn honked? That seems to be the only way to get the EA ABB chargers to work for a Spark EV. I have never seen or used an Efacec charger so I do not know if what I suggested will work or not. But, it is worth a try.

Yeah, I'm quite familiar with the process now. As long as you park so that you don't have to twist the handle, it clicks in quite nicely. During initialization, I've tried a few different methods just to see what it does. Actually, the only time it has done anything different is when I tried squeezing the trigger mid-initialization, it actually seemed to partially latch, and took longer to decide it couldn't connect. The rest of the time it fails very consistently, leading to my suspicion of software issues.
Could be true. Electrify America installed 8 - 150 kWh and 2 - 350 kWh ABB chargers in Livermore, CA. I tried all of them and none would work. I tried other EA - ABB locations within about a 45 mile radius from my home and none of them worked either. I contacted EA and they actually met me in Livermore so I could demonstrate the problem. Many months later it appears they have the problem fixed. All of the charging locations which failed before are now working but I still have to support the handle / cable during the initialization process. EA chargers manufactured by BTCPower have always worked for me without any problems.

MrDRMorgan said:
Randy960 said:
MrDRMorgan said:

Could be true. Electrify America installed 8 - 150 kWh and 2 - 350 kWh ABB chargers in Livermore, CA. I tried all of them and none would work. I tried other EA - ABB locations within about a 45 mile radius from my home and none of them worked either. I contacted EA and they actually met me in Livermore so I could demonstrate the problem. Many months later it appears they have the problem fixed. All of the charging locations which failed before are now working but I still have to support the handle / cable during the initialization process. EA chargers manufactured by BTCPower have always worked for me without any problems.

I remember when the first Electrify America Station went up in my state. It was an ABB. I drove up and tested it in my car and it worked first try on a random unit. The pin count was 3-by-5 like all other new EA stations. It didn't work few months later and now works again. It has to be a software problem .

ElectricAdventure said:
MrDRMorgan said:
Randy960 said:

I remember when the first Electrify America Station went up in my state. It was an ABB. I drove up and tested it in my car and it worked first try on a random unit. The pin count was 3-by-5 like all other new EA stations. It didn't work few months later and now works again. It has to be a software problem .
I started DCFC charging using EVgo 50 kWh stations manufactured by ABB and I had, and continue to have, very good charging experiences. I was happy that EA finally fixed the problem but I still had charging problems until one Spark EV driver on this forum posted how it was necessary to support the handle until the initialization process completed. I have had excellent results doing that. However, I never had to support the handle when charging on EA stations manufactured by BTCPower.

Because of the "shelter-in-place" order here in California, I haven't had been venturing out much so I have not had to do any DCFC charging. My closest EA ABB charging location is located at Walmart in Tracy, CA which is about 19 miles from my home and my closest EVgo station is located in Salida which is about 10 miles from my home.

EA is putting a station in at Green River UT which finally makes Spanish Fork UT to Moab UT possible in low range EV's without needing to stop for a l2 charge. I actually have my fingers crossed that my eSpark doesn't sell by the time these units are in so I can try that drive out. The units look like Signet units but now that I have a 100% success rate with EA chargers and my eSpark it doesn't matter anymore!

Completed a six hundred and sixty one mile drive from Santaquin UT to St. George (with lots of side explorations) in an eSpark. I've done that drive once before (excluding the two attempts when the EA chargers where new and I found out they didn't work with my car at the time.) when there was only a charger in Fillmore, Cedar City and St. George but the two EA chargers in Scipio and Beaver now make it possible without level two charging. It went without a hitch, the chargers didn't fail to activate I had only two times when it only dispensed 31kW instead of 55kW but was solved when I swapped bays. The only caveat to the drive was that in Fillmore I was cheap (because that charger will burn a hole in your wallet) and charged to 70% like I did a time before which should have been enough to get to Beaver UT with at least 8% remaining. Well, I forgot about a extreme wind warning which outlined almost 50km/h headwinds which when combined with the hills drained by battery and left me stranded one exit short of the EA supercharger in Beaver UT. We had to get a (free) seven mile tow to the charger; unloading the car was very humiliating to say the least. . .

Anyway I can safely say that it is totally possible from my experience to use Electrify America stations without a hitch in an eSpark. Average fillup was 2,72$ with pass+ and made my entire trip cost less than 25$.

Here is a photo album of some photos I had on hand if anyone is interested

https://bit.ly/stgeorgesparkEV

ElectricAdventure said:
Completed a six hundred and sixty one mile drive from Santaquin UT to St. George (with lots of side explorations) in an eSpark.

It went without a hitch, the chargers didn't fail to activate

Impressive trip! Looks like your stops were at stations with btc chargers, which to my knowledge aren't anywhere near as problematic with the Spark, compared to the EA ABB units. Ironic that I got this post notification while on the phone with EA. As a side note, I asked about the progress of getting Spark EVs to work on ABB chargers. I'm pretty sure this rep isn't new to the job, but it was news to her about the Spark issue. I'm convinced EA simply doesn't care.

TheLondonBroiler said:
ElectricAdventure said:
Completed a six hundred and sixty one mile drive from Santaquin UT to St. George (with lots of side explorations) in an eSpark.

It went without a hitch, the chargers didn't fail to activate

Impressive trip! Looks like your stops were at stations with btc chargers, which to my knowledge aren't anywhere near as problematic with the Spark, compared to the EA ABB units. Ironic that I got this post notification while on the phone with EA. As a side note, I asked about the progress of getting Spark EVs to work on ABB chargers. I'm pretty sure this rep isn't new to the job, but it was news to her about the Spark issue. I'm convinced EA simply doesn't care.

Actually only one was a BTC unit. I checked every single one of them. Actually there are only two Signet / non ABB EA units in the state of Utah. Cedar City and Spanish Fork UT.

Though I just saw these units today in Salina UT and frankly A) they are a close second to the CPE250 in terms of style points and B) might be one of the first locations to roll out this design of EA unit. Here they are, if you have seen any like this before please let me know. https://photos.app.goo.gl/bicdSgEyqkRDJ4E4A

ElectricAdventure said:
Actually only one was a BTC unit. I checked every single one of them. Actually there are only two Signet / non ABB EA units in the state of Utah. Cedar City and Spanish Fork UT.

Firstly, I was definitely wrong. I apologize for my accidental ignorance, it is not my intent to spread misinformation or to be ill informed. That being said, IF EA's website is accurate (that IF is warranted IMO), then Cedar City and Spanish Fork are Signet units (using plugshare images and my memory as sources).

My Spark has been unable to charge using EFACEC units, in Charlotte, NC.

Due to the current state of fast chargers in my area, it would not be easy to get to a different EA station with the Spark, without doing some slow charging along the way.

I'd appreciate the community's help ensuring the identity of the following EA units. In the event anyone else was as unknowingly confused, as I was, this will hopefully get everyone on the same page. I apologize again that I was incorrectly identifying EFACEC stations as ABB (it's possible the power cabinets are made by ABB, I'll verify this the next time I'm there).

BTC Power: Plugs rest in an angled holster in the front. Never seen one of these in the wild.
20cy9VV.png

Signet: Plugs secured by clips in the front. Screen is very recessed, card reader mounted on an angle up high.
LQZArtw.png

Efacec: Plugs rest in a holster on the side of the unit. Button is a "pistol trigger" type inside the plug handguard. My Spark WILL NOT work with this station.
F8VN2X6.png

ABB: Plugs rest in holsters in the front. I successfully charged my Spark at a station in Fincastle, Va on 7/1/18.
8cbDlqO.png

This station is at the EA Headquarters, I don't know the brand. Anyone know for sure?
EPVwzfJ.png

This station is at the EA Headquarters, I don't know the brand. Anyone know for sure?
fXDznA7.png

TheLondonBroiler said:
ElectricAdventure said:

Firstly, I was definitely wrong. I apologize for my accidental ignorance, it is not my intent to spread misinformation or to be ill informed. That being said, IF EA's website is accurate (that IF is warranted IMO), then Cedar City and Spanish Fork are Signet units (using plugshare images and my memory as sources).

My Spark has been unable to charge using EFACEC units, in Charlotte, NC.

Due to the current state of fast chargers in my area, it would not be easy to get to a different EA station with the Spark, without doing some slow charging along the way.

I'd appreciate the community's help ensuring the identity of the following EA units. In the event anyone else was as unknowingly confused, as I was, this will hopefully get everyone on the same page. I apologize again that I was incorrectly identifying EFACEC stations as ABB (it's possible the power cabinets are made by ABB, I'll verify this the next time I'm there).

BTC Power: Plugs rest in an angled holster in the front. Never seen one of these in the wild.
20cy9VV.png

Signet: Plugs secured by clips in the front. Screen is very recessed, card reader mounted on an angle up high.
LQZArtw.png

Efacec: Plugs rest in a holster on the side of the unit. Button is a "pistol trigger" type inside the plug handguard. My Spark WILL NOT work with this station.
F8VN2X6.png

ABB: Plugs rest in holsters in the front. I successfully charged my Spark at a station in Fincastle, Va on 7/1/18.
8cbDlqO.png

EPVwzfJ.png

fXDznA7.png

The ones you posted of the ones at EA headquarters look just like the ones I found in Salina UT! I feel stupid for forgetting to look at the sticker so I cannot confirm who makes them. My hope is that they are an in house design. I remember constantly having reliability problems with the CPE200 but since chargepoint started making the CPE250 in house the quality of my chargers has gone up drastically (not to mention charging speed).

I actually jumped on plugshare and started surfing some of their upcoming chargers - seems like they are rolling out this new design- frankly I don't mind. Doesn't give me flashbacks to the early days of supercharging when I would stare at stark white ABB units in crowded dealer parking lots. (Remember those days lol- we've come a long way)

TheLondonBroiler said:
This appears to be the latest Signet design. The older design (pictured below) worked great..... I really hope they don't fork it up.
LQZArtw.png

Additionally, the stock picture on the EA website for the BTC chargers does not appear to be accurate(1st pic below. There are a great number of these deployed, with a not insignificant number of sites being only 50kw (2nd pic below).
20cy9VV.png

The above image is not what they look like as deployed. The below image is what they ACTUALLY look like in the wild.
TUQmuYj.png

I sent Efacec an email to try to get to the bottom of this annoying issue. If it seems there's a fix, and I still haven't sold my Spark, I'll be happy to go test the "local" station.

I believe that the "fix" was : "support the charging handle while the initial handshake occurs, so that the locking pin falls in to place". In other words, if the handle is supported manually then the pin locks, the charge will initialize, and everything works.

If there are two of you, one holds the handle while the other starts the charge. OR use the app to start the charge while holding the cable, instead of using the cred card reader.

SparkE said:
I believe that the "fix" was : "support the charging handle while the initial handshake occurs, so that the locking pin falls in to place".
That hasn't worked for me (or many others) at the Efacec stations (these are the prevalent type installed in the Southeastern US). Lord knows I've tried everything. They are easily identified as the type with the plug with a handguard and the release button is a "trigger" type on the underside, which is actuated with the pointer figure. I went through A LOT, BUT NOT ALL plugshare data, and couldn't find any successful Spark charges at these stations (note: ignore my checkins/"Mark," I have a Bolt and Spark, but my account was setup when I first got my Spark).

The typical session fault occurs immediately after lock pin latching. It latches then immediately unlatches and returns an error. I've examined the charge port on both my Spark and Bolt, I've closely watched the activation process, I've manually actuated the moving parts to ensure correct range of motion with no abnormal stiffness/resistance, I've checked clearances, and I've found no mechanical reason for the Spark's inability to charge. I'm not an expert, I didn't sleep at a holiday inn express last night, and I am occasionally wrong about things, but I am willing to bet there is some minor process/logic error occurring between the station and Spark causing the issue.

TheLondonBroiler said:
SparkE said:
I believe that the "fix" was : "support the charging handle while the initial handshake occurs, so that the locking pin falls in to place".
That hasn't worked for me (or many others) at the Efacec stations (these are the prevalent type installed in the Southeastern US). Lord knows I've tried everything. They are easily identified as the type with the plug with a handguard and the release button is a "trigger" type on the underside, which is actuated with the pointer figure. I went through A LOT, BUT NOT ALL plugshare data, and couldn't find any successful Spark charges at these stations (note: ignore my checkins/"Mark," I have a Bolt and Spark, but my account was setup when I first got my Spark).

The typical session fault occurs immediately after lock pin latching. It latches then immediately unlatches and returns an error. I've examined the charge port on both my Spark and Bolt, I've closely watched the activation process, I've manually actuated the moving parts to ensure correct range of motion with no abnormal stiffness/resistance, I've checked clearances, and I've found no mechanical reason for the Spark's inability to charge. I'm not an expert, I didn't sleep at a holiday inn express last night, and I am occasionally wrong about things, but I am willing to bet there is some minor process/logic error occurring between the station and Spark causing the issue.

Perhaps, though I remember many times in 2019 holding the charge handle up during startup and it still failed. Who knows, and honestly with so many people swapping over to normal cars (by that I mean electric vehicles with 150+ mile ranges) eSpark compatibility with these stations doesn't matter too much. I only take an eSpark when the primary goal of the trip is going on an interactive drive. If I am getting to my (further off) destination in a hurry i'll always choose the Bolt. (Though I don't think I will buy one personally due to the fact that it can't tow 2.5 tonnes or long trailers)

ElectricAdventure said:
TheLondonBroiler said:
SparkE said:

Perhaps, though I remember many times in 2019 holding the charge handle up during startup and it still failed. Who knows, and honestly with so many people swapping over to normal cars (by that I mean electric vehicles with 150+ mile ranges) eSpark compatibility with these stations doesn't matter too much. I only take an eSpark when the primary goal of the trip is going on an interactive drive. If I am getting to my (further off) destination in a hurry i'll always choose the Bolt. (Though I don't think I will buy one personally due to the fact that it can't tow 2.5 tonnes or long trailers)
My first experience with Electrify America DCFC chargers manufactured by ABB was a 100% failure. Fortunately, EA listened to me and, after a considerable amount of time, got the problem fixed. But I still have to support the handle during the initialization step. This only applies to the 50-150 kWh chargers. I have yet to get an ABB Electrify America 150-350 kWh charger to work - even if I support the handle. 50-150 kWh chargers manufactured by BTCPower seem to work just fine. I have also tried one Signet 350 kWh charger and it worked too.

TheLondonBroiler said:
SparkE said:

I live in Buffalo, NY and every EA station for hundreds of miles appears to be made by Efacec. There are two stations within my range and I have had exactly zero success charging at them. I actually work around the corner from one, so I have stopped at least a dozen times to try various forms of twisting, pulling, pushing, and anything else I could think of with no difference in how they fail.

Did a crazy 381 mile trip in my Spark today (probably a video or two to follow). Stopped at 4 EA sites, 2 of which were Efacec units..... They both worked! First try, no supporting the handle/cable was needed. I'm going to try the station in Charlotte tomorrow. I'll report back.

Funny (maybe not), the only charger that gave me issues today was a BTC Power. 4th machine was the charm.

Back