Looking.. and looking.. for my first EV

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZNuts

So, up here in the Northwest I been looking for a short in-town EV. Leaf are everywhere but the style is ... yikes.

Long story but I have my eyes on the Spark now. There are about 5 or 6 within an hour distance, all about $8k-$10k range. There's one I like but the range as shown is also the worst at 55max but I also notice whoever been test driving were rough on it at less than 3mi/kwh on the history page.

Weird thing I notice too is one of the 2014 available with 60k miles also have the best range as shown. I know 2014 got a different battery but I haven't read anything about it being "better".

What do you all think? I'm tempted to low ball one of these since they been sitting in the dealer's lot for months and are not moving.

ZNuts said:
.... I'm tempted to low ball one of these since they been sitting in the dealer's lot for months and are not moving.
That is definitely how you start the game!
Good Luck!
Pace yourself.
Don't believe anything a car salesman says.

Ask for a picture of the open charge door. You want the $750 optional DCFC. You don't want to tell those dogs that.

My '14 with 83k miles is doing great!
I saw 80 mile range on the GOM after a recent charge to full.
The battery cell manufacturer changed after '14. They switched to the same cells at the Volt, I think.
I'm not sure if there is a big difference in how they age.

thanks for the tips. Since it's going to be a 2nd car I'm in no hurry to get one.

I am a bit unsure of the value of the DCFC though. I'll unlikely to use it that much and even if it add a bit to the resale value, it's likely to be minimal by the time I sell it. I see others saying the same thing though but I just fail to see the value of it for me.

A few of the sales people I talked to already are jokes. I know a lot more about it then they do even after a casual research and the asking price seems to be drawn from a hat. I see one that's been on a lot for over 9 months and 2 or 3 that are sitting there for at least 3 months. Sometime they just raise or drop the price for no reason. One that started at $8k, raised to $9k, and now nearly to $10k?! It's like wtf?

Do you know somebody that has a Spark EV ? I ask because a useful thing to know is "how much battery capacity is left", and you can get an exact figure using an OBD reader and an app for your phone. BUT, you need to download the app and configure it, and to do that for the Spark, you'd need to practice ... on a Spark EV.

Yes, I got Torque Pro installed on my Samsung tablet and got the Bolt csv file but I'm a bit confused on what parameter to look for when determining battery capacity.

Is it the "Bat Cap Est(kwh)?

FWIW, we had 2 2014 Spark EVs *have 2 Bolts now in case you are wondering.

Neither of our Spark EV cars had DCFC. I was able to sell them both- it did take slightly longer because so many people think they must have DCFC because its what everyone told them to get. Its like those people who won't buy a car unless it has a sunroof--- but then never use it... lol

ZNuts said:
Yes, I got Torque Pro installed on my Samsung tablet and got the Bolt csv file but I'm a bit confused on what parameter to look for when determining battery capacity.

Is it the "Bat Cap Est(kwh)?

Yes, that's what I'm using.

Well, just an update. Went to look at that one I wanted today, the est battery capacity according to Torque Pro is 14.5kwh. That's a 2015 with 25k miles. To me, that's alarm bells going off.

I told the sales guy I'm willing to take a chance at a low enough price which I stated and he said, sure, let's sit down and "work it out". At that point I say nice to meet you, bye.

Stopped by another dealer nearby and the one they had got taken to the auction today.

the journey continues.

from reading almost everything there is on this car online, ive concluded that theres a big possiblity that the 2014 battery is superior in withstanding degradation.

Its hard to say though, considering the variables of where the car has been (really hot climate, drained fully often or stored fully charged for long periods).

My 2014 is at 65000km with 16.8kwh down from 17.7 when I got it at 50000km.

The 2015s seem to be the worst at consistently 13-15.5kwh.

Here's some of my resent data points on my '14:

miles - date- - - display #'s - - calc kWh
81697 -6-12-20 -58% -10.2 -17.59
82314 -6-29-20 -81% -14.0 -17.28
81557 -6-9-20 -61% -10.9 -17.87
83298 -7-23-20 -63% -11.1 -17.62

This little EV is doing so well I hate talking about it. I might jinx something.... :cool:

I have the DCFC which I rarely use. Airport runs, or really long days in the saddle. Both are rare, these days especially. :cry:
I can see how it would suit most without it, but I definitely don't think it effects battery life.

ZNuts said:
I told the sales guy I'm willing to take a chance at a low enough price which I stated and he said, sure, let's sit down and "work it out". At that point I say nice to meet you, bye.
Well played. I've taken their business card and written my price out the door on the back, along with my phone number, said thanks for letting me check the vehicle out and don't waste my time, hand them back their card. They've never called, but as it turns out, those were all vehicles I'm glad I didn't end up owning anyways :lol:

I just saw a 2016 show up at one of the local dealer, the first 2016 since I began to look for a Spark EV. The price is actually reasonable IMO.

Does anyone know why the rarity so far is because they are still mostly under lease? If there are bunch of 2016 coming off lease that may affect my strategy.

ZNuts said:
I just saw a 2016 show up at one of the local dealer, the first 2016 since I began to look for a Spark EV. The price is actually reasonable IMO.

Does anyone know why the rarity so far is because they are still mostly under lease? If there are bunch of 2016 coming off lease that may affect my strategy.

There aren't many because not that many were sold in the US (around 8K, I belive, over 4 years 2013-2016).

And most of the leases should have been returned by now (only a handful of leftover 2016s were sold in 2017). What is on the market now are ones that couldn't be sold over the past 6-12 months or so. There won't ever be any new ones made.

It's done, I just joined the club. Just bought a 2016 LT1 for under $8k (tab and RTA tax extra).

The interior needs some cleaning so the dealer will detail it and I'll pick up next week. It's first registered in Oregon around mid-2016 so I'll have a few years of battery warranty left. It's the first 2016 I see in this area too.

Battery capacity per Torque Pro is 15.2, which isn't great for its age and the color isn't what I care for but I'm not shooting for perfection.

My hope is to get 5-6 years out of this than pick up a longer range EV then.

ZNuts said:
It's done, I just joined the club. Just bought a 2016 LT1 for under $8k (tab and RTA tax extra).

Congrats dude! I'll send you a t shirt.
HZBAerc.png

Just kidding. I made this to have fun with another forum member in the Charlotte area.

Hey, that's the color of one I got.

Picking up tomorrow morning. The dealer is about 51 miles from my house so will be a bit of adventure, :?

ZNuts said:
....Picking up tomorrow morning. The dealer is about 51 miles from my house so will be a bit of adventure, :?
You'll be fine.
Set the CC to a slower speed at first and see how it goes. No AC if you can... ;)

Good luck having those dogs actually charge the car fully for your trip home.

Tell them if it's not fully charged, you are walking away. :x
You have to get their limited attention somehow....

Do you know how to tell if a car salesman is lying? :lol:

You wont' be sorry !!

Hello,
I'm new here. I was reading the Smart ED Forum for some time, but realized that the vehicle is really an orphan.
Now searching for a little Spark EV, which I should have been doing from the start. With Chevy dealerships, maybe you could get
service if you had a major issue? At least they haven't washed their hands of the car as Mercedes did.
I have my eye on a 2016 with 45K miles. Things to look for, I know about the fast charge port, the different trim levels, battery makes.
I will be charging from 110V, as at home I do not have a 220 option. That is just fine, and as I am retired and these
smaller EV's fit my lifestyle just fine.
My biggest concern obviously is the battery health. What is the best test for battery health? I really don't want to end up
with an expensive paper weight.
Thanks

Bigbusdriver said:
My biggest concern obviously is the battery health. What is the best test for battery health? .
If you don't have an OBD2 to BT dongle and the app, fortunately the Spark EV can give you direct info on the display about the current battery capacity.
It would involve an extended test drive starting with a 100% SOC and driving it down to < 50% SOC, lower than that would even be better. You then do the math from the X kWh used / X SOC %.

There was a post here about some owner recently getting a warranty replacement pack from Chevy!
You'd be covered!
Also, it wouldn't be a 'paper weight', just an EV with less and less range as time went on.
Would you toss it if it ever became a 50 mile range EV?

How can the Smart EV be orphaned? Isn't there a law covering cars less than 10 years old? Or is that a myth?

You won't be sorry!
Have both hands on the wheel when you punch it!!

Yeah, I love my Spark EV. My wife and I have discussions almost every day "so, where are you driving today" and "what errands need to be done today", "do we need groceries", etc. BECAUSE we both want to drive the Spark instead of the gasmobile (which we use for long trips).

I am also retired (since I was 45) and so my schedule is very flexible and I can fit my schedule around hers. And I 'second' the advice to hold onto the steering wheel when you accelerate hard. The car is a bullet, but it does have torque steer issues (car pulling to one side or the other under heavy accel). Do *not* accelerate heavy when turning the car (right or left). You may end up crashing the car. You turn, get straight, THEN you accelerate like a madman.

This car is so quick. What I used to do on the local exprressways, when some jerk on a motorcycle would pull up and rev his engine over and over at the red light (I knew he was going to accelerate like a racecar driver), I would punch the Spark off the line and beat him to the next red light. Then I would just look at him and smile. Invariably he would push up his helmet shield to talk to me "what the he11 is that little car !!!" I would answer "it's electric - instant full torque from 0 rpm". And smile again, and then when the light changed I would do my normal driving, slow off the line, ...

Back