Battery Degradation vs Battery Limited Warranty

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
agdodgerfan said:
I honestly don't think that's accurate I think it doesn't take into account region because when I did try and track in the past it was all over the place. ...
Huh, mine has variations but in a small range. And then you can average that. I'm not gathering data this time of year bc I plug in at work and at home and never use more than 50%.
I hate winter. :oops: I have to buy electrons to drive the car this time of year, bc I want the pack to be in the happy temp range. :cry: :)

It's just some additional data.
It would be great if you could gather some additional data points to compare to the one time OBD-II measurement.

And then post them here !!

:cool:
Yep. It works great. App has kinda old school UI/iOS 8, but functionally good.
  • App: https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/engine-link-obd-ii-diagnosis/id591557194
  • ODB2 profile/csv: from this thread: http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4199&start=20
  • ODB2 wifi hardware: will update later - SparkEV is not with me
    Link: Veepeak WiFi OBD2 Scanner for... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00WPW6BAE

I own a 2015 Chevy Spark EV with just under 23,000 miles on it. I bought it used and I did purchase a separate battery warranty in addition to GM's. That warranty provides for repair or replacement if the battery capacity falls below 70%. Until very recently, I was able to charge the battery up to 76-78 miles before charging shutdown showing fully charged. Then, one day recently, it would only charge to 68-69 miles before shutdown. Like an earlier posting, I was expecting a more gradual degradation. I will determine my battery's use percentage by using the formula suggested. I do live in the middle gulf coast of Florida, and the weather now is much hotter than in the winter or spring, so maybe that has something to do with it. It's not so much that I'm concerned now - the mileage available is fine for my needs - it's the concern I feel if another big drop-down is in my near future.

Offenbach said:
Until very recently, I was able to charge the battery up to 76-78 miles before charging shutdown showing fully charged. Then, one day recently, it would only charge to 68-69 miles before shutdown. Like an earlier posting, I was expecting a more gradual degradation. I will determine my battery's use percentage by using the formula suggested. I do live in the middle gulf coast of Florida, and the weather now is much hotter than in the winter or spring, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Documenting your capacity every few months, is pretty essential to maintaining your sanity, if you're a bit paranoid about these things (I'm guilty of it as well). From what I've experienced, barring a component becoming defective, degradation in the Spark is a gradual experience. I'd be willing to bet the hot weather and corresponding AC use has everything to do with your range drop. Florida is one of the few places where your winter range is probably as good as, if not better than your summer range, because most people can get by without needing the heater during a "Florida Winter."

After having by wife total my first Spark EV (White 2014, no DCFC) and my son totalling my second Spark EV (Red 2015, DCFC) I traveled 700 miles to Fresno to buy a 2014 with 5900 miles on it hoping everything would be fresh. My first two days are showing about 11.5 KWH on what was a 21 KWH battery :eek: As soon as the title is transferred I'll be on my way to the dealership to check into the warranty!

Planerench said:
I traveled 700 miles to Fresno to buy a 2014 with 5900 miles on it hoping everything would be fresh. My first two days are showing about 11.5 KWH on what was a 21 KWH battery :eek: As soon as the title is transferred I'll be on my way to the dealership to check into the warranty!
Yikes! Does it have DCFC? Did you buy from a Chevy/GM dealership? I would have to imagine it sat around at 100% SOC baking in the sun or the complete opposite to get that bad. So long as there's no stored data in the vehicle's computer system of such events, I don't see how GM could deny this claim, as it's the most drastic case of degradation that I've heard of in a Spark EV to date. Looking forward to hear how you make out.

Yeah, another first :( . This was a super low mileage (5750 miles) lease, then one private owner vehicle that sold at auction to the dealer in Fresno in March of 2019. The photo on CarGurus was of the dash at that time and showed 80 miles on the guess o meter with most of a full charge so I made the trip down there. They had it listed at $8750 down from $9800 originally (no DCFC :lol: ) and what do you know? I has not sold in 18 months! I told him the windshield wipers were rotting off, the original tires are weather checked, even the clear-coat is frosting on the roof. $8000 out the door or I'm going home. He accepted and now my only chance of saving this mess is if the battery warranty is lined with pure gold! On the other hand, the seats, steering wheel, switches, carpet are all new. The door hinges, latches, seals are all unmolested and tight. If I can get the battery taken care of I'll repaint it in a couple of years.

They must have charged the crap out of it with the trickle charger and let her bake...

If it was plugged in most of the time at least the TMS would keep the batter temps safe.
If it displayed 80 miles on the GOM something is OK.
I'd give it a week or so of living with its new family before getting too excited.

Are you going to let the kid and wife drive this one? Eventually you'll get flagged by your insurance company.... :lol:

Me, I flogged the hekk out of my '17 Bolt on a trip from LA to KC.
114° in LA and Vegas, Rain, Snow, 22° F in the Rockies, 30 mph headwinds across the plains, it was showing ~180 miles the first few full charges.
I'm trying not to freak. :eek:
She drives it mostly.
I'm going to get it from a free L2 in a moment. I hope is shows better.....

I have regularly pressed GM to give me a number of battery capacity where the replacement warranty to kick in. So far, no dice.

I have a 2016, so I'm not sure of my total capacity. I've been told it was 19kWh, and the warranty said 35% degradation, which would be around 12.5k. Has anybody gotten that magic number?

Mesasand said:
I have regularly pressed GM to give me a number of battery capacity where the replacement warranty to kick in. So far, no dice.

I have a 2016, so I'm not sure of my total capacity. I've been told it was 19kWh, and the warranty said 35% degradation, which would be around 12.5k. Has anybody gotten that magic number?
Don't get your hopes up! For the 2016 model, the battery must degrade more than 40% and / or within 8 years from the date the car was first put into service. I estimate the 2016 Spark EV battery capacity must fall below 11.4 kWh before the warranty is valid. AND..."if warranty repair requires replacement, the high voltage battery may be replaced with either a new or factory refurbished high voltage battery with an energy capacity (kWh) storage) level at or within approximately 10% of that of the original battery at the time of warranty repair."

REF: Page 14 of the 2016 Chevrolet Limited Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

MrDRMorgan said:
Don't get your hopes up! ..."if warranty repair requires replacement, .... level at or within approximately 10% of that of the original battery at the time of warranty repair."
Man, that's some sneaky fine print... :roll:
Why bother to do all the replacement work if you're very close to where you were before the replacement?
In fact the words "level at" doesn't make sense....

I have an appointment Thursday to have the battery checked. I'll at least know if it is or isn't below the limit. They will charge the labor to Chevrolet if the battery fails. They will charge the labor to me if it doesn't. If my luck holds I'll owe more money.... :lol:

Planerench said:
They will charge the labor to Chevrolet if the battery fails. They will charge the labor to me if it doesn't. If my luck holds I'll owe more money.... :lol:
If they try to charge you and not replace the battery, ask the dealership manager if they REALLY want to be a defendant, along with GM corporate, in your lawsuit. The warranty manual is clear, 8 years/100,000 miles 65% capacity. You're nearly a full kwh under that threshold. I'm not saying go in cocky, but be prepared for the clowning around that dealerships are notorious for. I get the impression that CA, in general, is a little better in regards to fixing EVs, due to their prevalence and more stringent state government regulations. Good luck.

I was out of town so my father took the car to the dealership to have a spare key made and capacity check the traction battery. Over the phone the service manager tells me if there is a problem with the battery it will throw a code otherwise there is nothing wrong with it. Soooo, you don’t know how/don’t have any idea what a capacity test is? Yeah, we can’t do that...
So I guess I’ll try the dealer in Boise.

Planerench said:
After having by wife total my first Spark EV (White 2014, no DCFC) and my son totalling my second Spark EV (Red 2015, DCFC) I traveled 700 miles to Fresno to buy a 2014 with 5900 miles on it hoping everything would be fresh. My first two days are showing about 11.5 KWH on what was a 21 KWH battery :eek: As soon as the title is transferred I'll be on my way to the dealership to check into the warranty!

Doh !! For some reason I thought you had a 2016! Mea culpa. Let me try this again ... ;). (I erased my earlier posts.)

Contact GM and ask for a list of "EV qualified" (?trained?) dealerships close to you. Bring it to one of those (after calling and asking if they know how to do a battery capacity check).

2nd, are you doing capacity calculations, or do you have an OBD reader?

3rd: The warranty for 2015-16 Sparks is 40% degradation. The warranty for 2014 Sparks is 35% degradation. 65% of 21 is 13.65. You might want to do a few more "full charge of battery and drive down to below 30% SoC" cycles, and calculate / measure the battery capacity just to be sure (so that you don't have to pay the dealer for the check - i.e., you will be sure it fails).

- When you get the battery checked, make sure to get the results in written form. And if they say something like "our charger says it pulled 13.7 kWh while charging, so the battery is good enough", remember that the charger is NOT 100% efficient, and that all of the energy pulled out of the wall does NOT go into the battery.

SparkE said:
3rd: The warranty for 2015-16 Sparks is 40% degradation (2014 was 35%).

Pretty sure only 2016 is 40%, both 2014 & 2015 are 35%. I don't have the manual for 2015, but someone in this forum furnished pictures to show that the 2015 was warranted to retain 65% capacity during the warranty period.

https://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4464&start=150

(Edited to remove quotation error and add forum link)

TheLondonBroiler said:
SparkE said:
3rd: The warranty for 2015-16 Sparks is 40% degradation (2014 was 35%).

Pretty sure only 2016 is 40%, both 2014 & 2015 are 35%. I don't have the manual for 2015, but someone in this forum furnished pictures to show that the 2015 was warranted to retain 65% capacity during the warranty period.

https://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4464&start=150

(Edited to remove quotation error and add forum link)

That is correct. 2014 =35%, 2015 = 35%, 2016 = 40%. At one time I had all three model years at the same time. Now I only have 2014 and 2016. The 2015 was leased and returned at the end of the lease.

The problem with GM is, they won't give you the number your battery has to hit to qualify for the warranty. Is the calculation for degradation based on a 21kWh battery for a 2016 model? Mine suddenly started dropping this summer, now it's down to 13.5 according to Torque Pro.

Back