Won’t 220v charge but will 110v charge

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewecha

My 2015 Spark EV will not charge if I use a 220v charger. I confirmed it was not an issue with my charger by utilizing Chevy Dealer’s charging station, it would not charge there either. The dash reads “Not Able To Charge”. It will however charge normally using the 110v portable charger that came with the vehicle.

There is no visible damage or contamination to the vehicle’s electrical port. I have scheduled an appointment with the dealer to get it checked out.

In the meantime I’m researching if this a symptom of a major issue or something a little dielectric grease will cure?

Both the battery AND the charging system is guaranteed for 8 years or ?100K? miles.

Make sure that the paperwork at the dealer specifies that their diagnostics of the charging system are covered by warranty. Heck, call GM and get authorization for diagnostics to charging system (with some magic invoice or repair or service #), then bring in email to dealership.

You shouldn't have to pay a cent.

Also, report back and tell us what you find out, please.

Thanks for the reminder on the 100k/8yr warranty on Battery and associated systems. Will let you know what the EV tech comes up with.

Dewecha said:
Thanks for the reminder on the 100k/8yr warranty on Battery and associated systems. Will let you know what the EV tech comes up with.

Remember, *get it in writing* that diagnosis is free (even if they verbally agree, "it never happened" is the view in court if you end up there ...)

The failed part was a drive motor battery charger. Chevy dealer did the work under warranty.

Back