Panel illumination lights go off randomly

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCSpark1

I have owned my 2015 Spark EV for a year and a half now, and I love the car. However within the last two months something unusual has been happening. The instrument panel illumination will randomly turn off, and stay off for 10 to 20 minutes and then turn back on. I know that the panel illumination is supposed to go off when the windshield wipers, heater, or air conditioner are on, but this is just at random times when none of these are in use. It is quite annoying to say the least,. When the sun is shining I cant even even read the speedometer or remaining battery charge. Has anyone else had this problem? As far as I can tell, nothing happens to cause the light to go off such as hitting a large bump or any thing else. Any ideas or recommendations?

NCSpark1 said:
.... I know that the panel illumination is supposed to go off when the windshield wipers, heater, or air conditioner are on, but this is just at random times when none of these are in use. ....
I'm not sure what you mean by this?
The panel lighting dims when the ambient light gets low enough to Auto turn on the headlights.
When it's bright out the Daytime Running Lights are on and the panel lighting should be full bright.

Do the headlights come on automatically when you turn on the wipers? I don't think so.. The display would dim and I'd see that. Maybe it does, and I learned something new !

The light sensor system isn't the greatest....
It can be a sunny day with the sun at your back and the headlights will be on and the display dim....

Can you turn off the Auto headlight function on the turn signal stalk and that should force the panel lighting to full bright.
If that doesn't happen,,,, your car has a problem, sorry.... :cry:

Back