Brake failure on 2015 Spark. What's the best fix?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringo

Hey all,

My girlfriend had a scary experience today when the stabilitrack and brake assist warning lights came on, accompanied by the brakes barely working. I've done a bit of research and this seems to be a somewhat common issue. Our car has about 35k miles on it. Has anyone found a fix? Does a control module need to be replaced? Any advice is much appreciated.

I experienced something like this when I hit a bump while braking. I think what happened is the regenerative braking dropped out and it's just the brake pads on the rotors. The pedal seemed to drop out for an inch or two similar to ABS and then they grabbed, it was a scary feeling. I think mine was just showing the traction control light and a text warning that came up for a moment but I do not recall what it said.

Not the same but somewhat related; I've been turning the traction control off in certain places in my commute as if I hit a bump upon acceleration the car cuts the power to the wheels for a short moment.

I had this issue and met other people who had this issue, one of them multiple times. If you look at the NHTSA reports for the Spark and Spark EV this does happen quite a bit.

It happened enough in my Spark with no known cause or resolution according to the dealer so I tried to get GM to buy out my lease but they told me to bug off. I let the car sit for the 6 months left on my lease. I wouldn't let anyone I know or love drive one of these things.

It looks like it was taken down but there was a terrifying video of a Spark blasting through several cars at an intersection with the brake lights on. The video was taken from a dashcam of someone behind them.

MBPdx said:
I had this issue and met other people who had this issue, one of them multiple times. If you look at the NHTSA reports for the Spark and Spark EV this does happen quite a bit.

It happened enough in my Spark with no known cause or resolution according to the dealer so I tried to get GM to buy out my lease but they told me to bug off. I let the car sit for the 6 months left on my lease. I wouldn't let anyone I know or love drive one of these things.

It looks like it was taken down but there was a terrifying video of a Spark blasting through several cars at an intersection with the brake lights on. The video was taken from a dashcam of someone behind them.
I believe that video shows a gas Spark going through the intersection and not a Spark EV. You can tell by the bottom white lower rear panel below the tail lights.

I posted my resolution of my problems on the other break post, but basically I had to replace both the controller and the modulator valve. Suppostely the controller was hosing the modulator valve causing it to fail again. It could also be that they replace it with a broken modulator originally since it sounds like the packaging on them is not good and they get easily damaged. It was not cheap, but they did get GM to pay for the controller. so I hope you have aftermarket insurance like I did, maybe you can better at yelling at the dealer repair department that they should pay for it or getting a lawyer.

Back