Rear seats: do they fold completely flat?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pegasus

A question for the owners as I'm just about to purchase a Spark EV myself: do the rear seats fold completely flat? (A picture would be a bonus.)

About a year ago my wife and I rented a gas spark and the rear seats didn't go all the way down due to the bucket nature of the seat sides. The only way they would flatten is if we put something heavy on top of them. Has this problem been fixed in the Spark EV? We frequently haul things (and frequently not heavy things) so this is an important factor for us.

Pegasus said:
A question for the owners as I'm just about to purchase a Spark EV myself: do the rear seats fold completely flat? (A picture would be a bonus.)

About a year ago my wife and I rented a gas spark and the rear seats didn't go all the way down due to the bucket nature of the seat sides. The only way they would flatten is if we put something heavy on top of them. Has this problem been fixed in the Spark EV? We frequently haul things (and frequently not heavy things) so this is an important factor for us.
Below is a picture of the back seats folded down and no, they do not lay completely flat but rather at a slight angle (battery packs are under the rear seats). Still pretty good room for carrying stuff in a pinch.

Darn, I was afraid of that. Thanks for replying and the photo, Mark! That angle looks about the same as the gasoline Spark we rented, so the battery is not to blame. :)

Pegasus said:
Darn, I was afraid of that. Thanks for replying and the photo, Mark! That angle looks about the same as the gasoline Spark we rented, so the battery is not to blame. :)
Glad to do it. Not sure on the gas Spark but on the EV the back seats are really firm as there is not much give due to the batteries being so close to the surface. Good luck.

That's so weird! I drive a MINI cooper now, and I fold down the back seats all the time for groceries, etc. I thought it was a given that the seats should fold down completely flat...that's a really disappointing oversight.

WRONG the rear seats do fold flat. When you fold the seats down pull the head rest out a little bit to miss the bottom seat cushion. They will fold flat.
See

robpow13 said:
WRONG the rear seats do fold flat. When you fold the seats down pull the head rest out a little bit to miss the bottom seat cushion. They will fold flat.
Ah, good to know. I guess in order to do that you have to have the front seats moved forward or upright enough to get them to lay flat with the headrests in place?

eh not necessarily. My drivers side seat is pretty far back I am 6 foot so it probably farther back than maybe normal and i didnt adjust the seat to lay the back seat down.

That's reasonable. Heck with our Subaru Outback you had to completely remove the rear-set headrests to fold the seats down.

Oh awesome, thank you robpow! I assume that one must raise the headrests _after_ lowering the seats in order to avoid moving the front ones.

I own a Spark and a Volt. Removing the head rests is really easy if you've got a set of keys in your hand, plus you don't have to move the seats all the way forward. :)

The gasoline spark seats can also fold flat, but you have to know the secret trick of flipping the rear seat bottom up out of the way. It's a cheesy design, but it works. The EV version is actually more convenient because you only have to deal with the headrests.

Back