Article: Convergence of EVs and Solar

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlamedaSparky

Interesting article in the New York Times about the convergence of EVs and solar for homes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/25/business/car-companies-take-expertise-in-battery-power-beyond-the-garage.html

AlamedaSparky said:
Interesting article in the New York Times about the convergence of EVs and solar for homes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/25/business/car-companies-take-expertise-in-battery-power-beyond-the-garage.html

Excellent article. EV's might be very helpful in a power failure too. Thanks.

When the Lithium battery packs in our EVs get old and are no longer efficient for weight vs energy stored, they can be used in homes like those in this article to store solar power during the day and power homes at night.

A few spoilers .
What percentage of the American population can afford 10KW of rooftop . Who lives in an area with enough sunlight due to clouds, snow and short winter days? Hake many Americans can afford the electric car, the extra battery pack and the custom control unit? How many Americans can perform or afford the trouble shooting and service of the equipment?
We keep hearing talk of the hydrogen fuel cell. Problem is the Almighty made the hydrogen molecule the smallest molecule in the universe. H2 is problematic to store as it migrates through metal. Tends to make metal brittle as well.
Get it through your heads now folks. H2 cost of production , storage problems and refuelling are too $$$ to compete.
Compressed natural gas can be considered instead and is workable.

buickanddeere said:
If or When home and public chargers become "common". There maybe some more affordable electric cars built with Nicad batteries instead of lithium.

There are a bunch of reasons why that wont likely happen. Disposal of NiCad is a problem, they hold memory, the energy density is low compared to lithium, etc.

buickanddeere said:
Who is Tony Williams ?

Me, why? You ask because of my signature line blurb to ban me?

There is a cadre of folks here who actually went as far as to start a whole thread devoted to "banning" me from the forum. The signature line blurb is the link to that thread (which was obviously deleted). Like the lives that they live, they weren't very successful.

TonyWilliams said:
buickanddeere said:
Who is Tony Williams ?

There is a cadre of folks here who actually went as far as to start a whole thread devoted to "banning" me from the forum. The signature line blurb is the link to that thread (which was obviously deleted). Like the lives that they live, they weren't very successful.

Wow. You are such a class act, hard to believe anybody wouldn't love you. I don't mean to bog you down with facts, but only one person can start a whole thread. A cadre of folks can add posts to a thread, but only one can start it.

The thread proposing to ban Tony Williams was deleted. Strangely, this forum doesn't have any threads proposing how awesome Tony is, and it's not because they've been deleted.

Bryce

Nashco said:
TonyWilliams said:
buickanddeere said:
Who is Tony Williams ?

Wow. You are such a class act, hard to believe anybody wouldn't love you. I don't mean to bog you down with facts, but only one person can start a whole thread. A cadre of folks can add posts to a thread, but only one can start it.

The thread proposing to ban Tony Williams was deleted. Strangely, this forum doesn't have any threads proposing how awesome Tony is, and it's not because they've been deleted.

Bryce

Look what I shook out of the tree!!! Part of the cadre.

Reminds of of a line from "Animal House":

Otter: "Uh, it was Greggy and Dougy and some of the other Hitler youth."

You special little people keep on showing your best side, like always. I'll just sit back and enjoy.

Nash:

I don't (personally)know Tony Williams from Tony Tony Bu Bony, Banana Fana Fe Fony, but I can say that he is dedicated to EV use. At times his posts have been a bit curt, maybe even harsh. But if you read them in context, they are meant to inform and not insult. Just from reading the various ev Forums, it is obvious to anyone who objectively reads them that Tony is quite knowledgeable, committed to EV's and a very helpful personality. I have learned quite a great deal from Tony's work, he has done a lot of things behind the scene that are useful to all EV owners. And, NO!, I HIGHLY doubt that he has any disdain for the Spark EV. His "disparaging" comments have cenetered on GM's approach to the car, their compliance state only selling, the introductuion of CCS as opposed to CHaDemo QC, etc. it's innapropriate for me to speak FOR Tony, but I do feel speaking in favor of Tony is warranted. You don't have to agree with everything he says, but if you stick with him, you will see where he's coming from(and it ain't a bad place!).

Lou

Lou

gatedad said:
...I can say that he is dedicated to EV use. At times his posts have been a bit curt, maybe even harsh. But if you read them in context, they are meant to inform and not insult. Just from reading the various ev Forums, it is obvious to anyone who objectively reads them that Tony is quite knowledgeable, committed to EV's and a very helpful personality. I have learned quite a great deal from Tony's work, he has done a lot of things behind the scene that are useful to all EV owners. ... I do feel speaking in favor of Tony is warranted. You don't have to agree with everything he says, but if you stick with him, you will see where he's coming from(and it ain't a bad place!)
Tony Williams is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.

Oberon said:
Tony Williams is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.
:lol: Man, it took me a while to remember just where that was from. Just to be on the safe side, let's all agree not to ask Tony to play a game of solitaire ;)

gatedad said:
Nash:

I don't (personally)know Tony Williams... it's innapropriate for me to speak FOR Tony, but I do feel speaking in favor of Tony is warranted. You don't have to agree with everything he says, but if you stick with him, you will see where he's coming from(and it ain't a bad place!)

I appreciate your sentiments, and I thank you. Every forum I've ever been on always had a few special needs posters, and this one is no different.

I'm getting all teary eyed about the OrientExpress hatefest and melt down on the LEAF forum. We don't hear from him anymore:

"very vocal and seemingly hysterical schizophrenic ADD owners ... they don't represent the vast majority of LEAF owners.... for whatever reason are unable to deal with the situation and would rather freak out. Speculation is rampant, and facts are few... fan the flames of discontent in a very trollish manner... for many that is not good enough and demand immediate satisfaction... Other than assigning wet nurses to the most vocal and impatient of those that are dissatisfied, it is hard to say what more than can be done."

In hindsight, quite tame compared to the F-Bomb dropping lynch mob over here. Oh, well.

Tony:

I just never understood all the fuss about some of the comments you made. You never insulted the Spark EV, nor the owners. The issue of SAE/ChAdeMo is a valid concern and why GM did what they did makes no sense to me. People on this forum are generally new to EV's, probably are/were unaware of many of the important issues. I remember being new, not understanding much of what EV's were all about. Because of that I read as many posts on as many boards as I could, and I have gotten up to speed(somewhat). There really is no reason for people to get all worked up, we are early in the game of EV ownership, there are lots of things we are learning, and a lot we still have to find out. Keep an open mind, listen to others and offer your own opinions. But sometimes, be willing to bite your tongue and let someone who has been there and done that have his say. I honestly believe that those who have gotten thier panties in a bunch really are not following your arguments, but are reacting emotionally to what they perceive as attacks on their judgment(ie:that they bought a crappy car), or their intellectual understanding is subpar. Neither is true. The Spark EV is a great little car, but it has its shortcomings. If one can live with them, great. I drive the I-MiEV, that car has its own shortcomings, but I can live with them. But I won't deny them, and maybe at some point GM and the manufacturers will listen to the drivers and change what needs to be changed. Compliance cars aggravate us, marketing a great little car as being QC capable and then using a standard that has little acceptance just makes no sense. Let's enjoy our cars, keep the dialogue going, but eliminate the silliness.
Lou

gatedad said:
Tony:

I just never understood all the fuss about some of the comments you made. You never insulted the Spark EV, nor the owners. The issue of SAE/ChAdeMo is a valid concern and why GM did what they did makes no sense to me. People on this forum are generally new to EV's, probably are/were unaware of many of the important issues...

I honestly believe that those who have gotten thier panties in a bunch really are not following your arguments, but are reacting emotionally to what they perceive as attacks on their judgment(ie:that they bought a crappy car), or their intellectual understanding is subpar. Neither is true. The Spark EV is a great little car, but it has its shortcomings. If one can live with them, great... keep the dialogue going, but eliminate the silliness.
Lou

Lou,

All wise counsel and thoughts. My history with online forums goes back to the beginning of the internet when we all used our real names, said what be believed, and vigorously debated issues.

I still use my real name, but the modern widespread use of the internet puts people behind fake monikers to say anything they like with near virtual impunity. I still say what I believe, and stand behind those thoughts with my real name... usually until I'm proven wrong :) I have nothing to hide from.

I think it's a particularly good point that people take my sharp critiques of Frankenplug in the manner you suggest. It still doesn't warrant the lynch mob, F-Bomb hate-speak that is directed at me by a very tiny group of "That Guy".

I've also come to learn in life that a leopard doesn't change his spots, hence why people who engage in these activities are banned on forums where I moderate. The reverse is true on this forum; the banning is suggested by mobs for thoughts and view points that aren't agreeable to them, and the F-Bomb droppers and attackers are still posting.

Be that as it may, I hope I've helped you understand EV's with my years of writing about them and I salute anybody who had the courage to get an iMiev!!! ;-)

Thanks again for being on the forum,

Tony

Tony: Most of the venom will disappear before too long. People generally have their say and move on. The few who seem to be stuck on a particular point of view and have a visceral reaction to opposing viewpoints, even they will see that in the end it's all about EV's, not Tony W or any ONE in particular. We don't have to agree. In fact, it's imperative that we don't all agree, because that friction can lead to new and different ways of thinking and acting. It just needs to be put into context and understood for what it is. A few years from now, we will be seeing entirely new arguments, as many of today's issues will resolve themselves. To think, that we would have people up in arms and going overboard about charging standards, does kind of surprise me. I was an original BetaMax purchaser, back in the day. Guess what? I survived, have gone beyond VCR's and even DVD recorders,all of the worry was for naught. Yeah, I preferred Beta Max, and another format won out. Not worth losing sleep over. Doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the arguments about the QC format wars, or the compliance car vs mass marketed car issue, I absolutely do. But there are more things that link the EV drivers than those things that supposedly differentiate them. To the average Joe out there, anyone driving a Spark EV (or especially an I-MiEV) is a bit of a kook. Maybe we are, so? We like 'em, that's why we drive 'em. I respect many of the arguments that oppose your views, because I get it(and you do too). It's just that the reality is what it is, not what we wish it was. Enough of me and my rantings. Maybe some time when I am out in San Diego(I may have mentioned my son is a grad student at SDSU)I will see if I can get to one of your meets. Would be great fun to meet you and members of your club, seeing all the different EV's(many of which we don't have in Philly). Lou.

Back