How many miles on your Saprk EV

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmarcucio

Just curious to see what kind of miles are adding up on the Spark EV's so far? I purchased in May of 2014 with 2,400 miles on the car and have put 5,400 miles on so far for a total of 7,800 miles on the car.

See here for the ongoing saga of my miles:

http://www.voltstats.net/SparkEV/Stats/Details/5397

Short version, less than 500 miles so far, in 13 days, 12 days since It went live on Voltstats.net.

So far I've been to both DCQC's on the peninsula, and found the Bishop Ranch L2 in San Ramon. Good news is, the trip to SFO and back home does not require a charge at all, at least not yet.

nickl630 said:
nozferatu said:
Had it since March and fast approaching 7K. I'm so over my lease miles it's ridiculous.

Sometimes I do as well but you can always argue that the overage you will pay on excess miles is still cheaper than paying for fuel

It is probably.

One thing that does dig into the savings is insurance...it costs more to insure this thing than my wife's CLA.

nozferatu said:
nickl630 said:
nozferatu said:
Had it since March and fast approaching 7K. I'm so over my lease miles it's ridiculous.

Sometimes I do as well but you can always argue that the overage you will pay on excess miles is still cheaper than paying for fuel

It is probably.

One thing that does dig into the savings is insurance...it costs more to insure this thing than my wife's CLA.

Wow, I'm glad its not just me then. Had a Civic Hybrid and a BMW M5 as a weekend car.... this thing comes close to the combined cost of my two previous cars

I've had my Spark EV since 7/3/2013 and I already have a whooping 16,910 miles driven! So I'm basically screwed on the lease mileage but oh well it is what it is... ;)

nickl630 said:
Wow, I'm glad its not just me then. Had a Civic Hybrid and a BMW M5 as a weekend car.... this thing comes close to the combined cost of my two previous cars

Yeah it's definitely not just you lol...freaking insurance companies. Such scams.

nozferatu said:
Yeah it's definitely not just you lol...freaking insurance companies. Such scams.

Same here, least expensive car and most expensive to insure. Certainly didn't take that in to account when computing whether the lease payments made sense for an additional commuter car.

nozferatu said:
nickl630 said:

Well, really the Spark EV won't begin to start saving you money until 6 - 8 years of ownership when comparing to a cheaper, efficient gas car; it's towards the end of the car's life that things will really start to get cheap (its paid off, insurance can be liability, no payments, etc).

xylhim said:
nozferatu said:
nickl630 said:

Well, really the Spark EV won't begin to start saving you money until 6 - 8 years of ownership when comparing to a cheaper, efficient gas car; it's towards the end of the car's life that things will really start to get cheap (its paid off, insurance can be liability, no payments, etc).

Something like a diesel pickup. If the vehicle takes 6-8yrs to break even. It's the wrong vehicle if you bought it with the #1 expectation to save $.
By 6-8yrs the up keep, service and repairs on modern vehicle paste warrenty . The owner is not going to save anything. Around here even if faithfully oiled to reduce salt corrosion. The vehicle is rotten by 10-15 winters.

I'm at 3022 miles. Began my lease in May with 12000 a year. Didn't drive a whole lot during the summer, but I suspect I'll catch up now that college is in session. Initially, I was afraid that I should have gotten 15K a year (I don't want to go over at all) but now I'm pretty confident 12K is perfect.

Well the Spark EV is saving me money actually even with the more expensive insurance...just not as much as I expected. But there is a reason for it at least in my case.

I was driving a relatively cheaper vehicle...I had a Fiat 500 Sport...and was paying pretty much the same amount in payment. But the insurance on the Spark is more...about $500 a year more. Which is considerable.

However, my payment is pretty much the same for my Spark...EVEN WITH my trade in negative balance believe it or not due to cutting my Fiat lease short. Plus I got the $2500 rebate plus I'm saving about $75 a month of fuel bills relative to my Fiat..which is truly astounding considering that car was getting 38 MPG COMBINED.

My Fiat's lease was $260 including tax. My insurance on the car was around $1000 a year. Fuel bills were about $105 a month. Totalling $448 a month.

My Spark's lease is $266 including tax. My insurance is $1500 a year. "Fuel" bills are $30 a month. Totalling $352 if I include in the rebate.

So it costs me almost $100 less a month to drive my Spark. That number would have been even greater if I got the $199 + tax deal if i didn't have a lease loss from the previous vehicle.

I'm definitely coming out ahead monetarily driving my Spark...and they are immediate savings.

Imagine how much one would be saving if they had been coming from a big turd SUV or gas-guzzling sedan? Incredible how much money we piss away of fuel.

My Spark EV is definitely already saving me money. Because we qualify for the SoCalEd special time of use plan for EV owners, in conjunction with a large solar power installation, we are now getting negative electric bills in months with long days.

Since I don't drive much the cost of charging of our EV is not significant, it is enormously offset by the KWh we sell to SoCalEd at peak rate during the day.

Right now they owe us $773, but of course winter is coming.

nozferatu said:
Imagine how much one would be saving if they had been coming from a big turd SUV or gas-guzzling sedan? Incredible how much money we piss away of fuel.

I came from a 300hp station wagon that was averaging 17mpg, but it was paid for. After adding it all up the car cost me $30-$40/mo more than my other car as a commuter.

The real benefit is the time savings of the HOV lane, for which I am happy to pay $40/mo for the many hours saved along with my sanity.

Back