Tips for leasing

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparker123

Hi there
I am considering getting an EV. I have my eyes on 2015 Spark EV 2LT. I am in Los Angeles (close to Torrance) but will travel within 70 miles to get the right deal.
I am looking at a lease, 15k miles, 3 year and a monthly payment that includes tax, title etc.
Approx how much should I be paying per month for a 2015 Spark EV (with a quick charge option-do they all have it?) with (say) $ 2500 down?

Do you have some dealers that I should prefer going to? I know someone mentioned earlier of Paradise Chevrolet in Ventura. Are there other ones in the South bay area of Los Angeles? I am aware that I can get a rebate check from CA of $ 2500. Will I get the federal tax credit of $ 7500 if I were to lease the spark?

Can the spark ev be charged at ANY pubic charging station?
Finally, how does the spark ev rate next to Nissan Leaf? I am curious.
Thanks so much for your help. I am sure I will have more questions down the road.

You don't get the federal credit - just the state. But, I'd like to also tag a question on to this thread - what is the current lease "special offer"? George Chevy says they're offering:
2014 Spark EV 2LT with Fast Charge:
Through US Bank for 36 months, 12K per year on approved credit: $2,500 total due at signing (so net $0 down after you get the CA rebate), $219.98 including LA County tax
Yes the Chevy website says:
2014 CHEVROLET Spark EV LT $199/month for 36 months.
$1,119 due at signing (after all offers).
Tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment extra.
Mileage charge of $0.25 /mile over 36,000 miles.

Also, what advantage is there to 4G connectivity vs. 3G in the stereo?

You can see the itemized lease deal I got here: http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3789

As for the comparison between the LEAF and the Spark EV, essentially the Spark is a subcompact 4 seater with minimal trunk space whereas the LEAF seats 5 and has some trunk space. Spark has much better performance at low speeds and is a lot more fun, and looks pretty normal. The new LEAFs have more options but will be pricier.
As for charging, that's a much bigger story. Spark can charge at any Level 2 J1772 charging station which is what most public charging stations are, or Level 3 (fast) SAE combo charger. Charging is pretty slow on the Spark at 3.3kw, the LEAF has a 6.6kw onboard charger and can charge twice as fast on level 2. LEAF uses CHADEMO for fast charging which is much more prevalent. Tesla uses their own system that doesn't work with either.

It really just depends on your needs. LEAF is a family car that has a lot of space and way better charging options but looks ugly.
If you don't need the space the Spark is a nice fun little car that works well for small commutes.

I would also look into the Kia Soul EV. It is just coming out and looks to have a reasonable lease deal at around $250 a month quoted price. It's got 10 more miles of range and also uses the more prevalent CHADEMO fast charger like the leaf, but looks much better IMO.

I got my Spark because of the cheap lease and because my commute to school and back is less than 25 miles with charging options at both locations and because the torque is damn fun. If I had to do it over I would definitely look into the Soul EV though.

JoeSchmoe said:
You don't get the federal credit - just the state. But, I'd like to also tag a question on to this thread - what is the current lease "special offer"? George Chevy says they're offering:

May I ask why you don't get federal tax credit. In almost all pricing offers of the Nisssan Leaf, they mention a $ 7500 tax credit when you file your taxes the following year. What is there in the leaf that qualifies for the federal tax credit, and is absent in the Spark? I am curious.
Thanks for your response.

sparker123 said:
May I ask why you don't get federal tax credit. In almost all pricing offers of the Nisssan Leaf, they mention a $ 7500 tax credit when you file your taxes the following year. What is there in the leaf that qualifies for the federal tax credit, and is absent in the Spark? I am curious.
Thanks for your response.

If you purchase the Spark EV (rather than lease), you will qualify for the tax credit. Note that you have to have $7500 or more in taxes owed to fully recognize the value of that credit. It is not a refundable credit, nor can it be rolled over to future years.

JoeSchmoe said:
2014 Spark EV 2LT with Fast Charge:
Through US Bank for 36 months, 12K per year on approved credit: $2,500 total due at signing (so net $0 down after you get the CA rebate), $219.98 including LA County tax
Yes the Chevy website says:
2014 CHEVROLET Spark EV LT $199/month for 36 months.
$1,119 due at signing (after all offers).
Tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment extra.
Mileage charge of $0.25 /mile over 36,000 miles.

Also, what advantage is there to 4G connectivity vs. 3G in the stereo?

The lease offer from Chevrolet's website is for a base 1LT without fast charge port, and does not include other fees like tax, lease acquisition fee, license, registration, doc fee, tire fee, etc. So actually, my offer is lower than the official lease.

The new OnStar 4G LTE has a built-in hotspot for the car as well as enables simultaneous voice and data during OnStar calls (so the advisor can push data to your car while talking to you). Data speeds will be much faster, so the RemoteLink app should work more quickly with sending commands to the car as well as getting info from the car. You get 3GB of data for free when you get the car, but after you use it, you have to pay AT&T for data if you use the hotspot feature. The old OnStar system actually uses 2G or EDGE.

However, most of the 2015s on the ground now will not have the 4G LTE, as the radios were introduced after 2015 production began, so it will be delayed introduction.

Also, sparker123, send me a PM with your name and email address, and I will send you a quote! I have two white 2015 2LTs with Fast Charge Option available now! I'm located in Bellflower, which is pretty close to you. I helped Chaconzies with his lease, so I think he will vouch for me! In fact, I just saw him again today at the Drive Electric Week event in Huntington Beach! The 2015s are a little bit more than the 2014s because they're newer and the lease figures are different, just to let you know. I will also help you with the $2,500 rebate, and we have already applied for the HOV stickers.

Back