List of known SAE combo plug quick charge stations

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa, now there's another Kia dealer in downtown LA with both ChaDeMo and SAE combo. I wonder if this is Kia's way of saying "we're so cool, we even offer DCFS standards that aren't available for our own cars"!

That's pretty sweet. Maybe it was just easier to buy the dual, I know most of the Chademo only units have Nissan branding, they probably wouldn't want that. Good for us because it means that they won't try and be all Kia charging only. Hopefully a lot more Kia dealers will install them soon :D

Chaconzies said:
That's pretty sweet. Maybe it was just easier to buy the dual, I know most of the Chademo only units have Nissan branding, they probably wouldn't want that. Good for us because it means that they won't try and be all Kia charging only. Hopefully a lot more Kia dealers will install them soon :D
In the Bay Area, there are lots of Blink CHAdeMO DC FCs: http://prod.blinknetwork.com/chargers-commercial-dc-fast.html.

Nissan apparently donated ABB CHAdeMO DC FCs to the state of Utah but they've been broken for ages: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=383515#p383515 and http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18015&p=390518&hilit=abb+donated#p390518.

There are MANY other vendors of CHAdeMO DC FCs: http://www.chademo.com/wp/chademocharger/.

cwerdna said:
Chaconzies said:
In the Bay Area, there are lots of Blink CHAdeMO DC FCs: http://prod.blinknetwork.com/chargers-commercial-dc-fast.html.
Yes there are, but how many of them are working? Although I've got to say that the local Blink QC and co-located L2s have been much more reliable over the past three months, but I don't know if that is widespread or not.

gra said:
cwerdna said:
Chaconzies said:
Yes there are, but how many of them are working? Although I've got to say that the local Blink QC and co-located L2s have been much more reliable over the past three months, but I don't know if that is widespread or not.
Unfortunately, many of the DC FCs in the Bay Area, often Nissan/Sumitomo branded or Blink are broken for weeks at a time. :(

On the 1000 mile weekend journey that I did from San Diego to San Jose, and return, only two CHAdeMO chargers failed (not good, but far better than when I did a similar trip in 2012 and they almost ALL failed... all 4 of them ;-)

San Diego to Los Gatos. I'll leave Saturday, 11 Oct 2014 and arrive 12 Oct 2014, then return.

33711 Camino Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano, CA (Residence Inn, Fuji 25kW / 62.5 amp)

6400 Katella Ave, Cypress, CA (Mitsubishi HQ, Eaton 50kW / 120 amp) - broken

Tarzana, Ca (Nissan / Sumitomo 44kW / 115 amp) - worked

265 South Rancho Road, Thousand Oaks, CA (Blink 50kW / 120 amp) - failed

Thousand Oaks Mall, Ca (Nissan / Sumitomo 44kW / 115 amp) - worked

East Main Street Ventura, CA (NRG / Nissan 44kW) - skipped, reported broken

425 S Kellogg Ave, Goleta, CA (Eaton 30kW / 75 amp) - worked

Marsh Street, San Luis Obispo, CA (Clipper Creek 70a / 208v, 14kW), leave at 8am (RON)

47900 Highway 1, Big Sur, CA (Post Ranch Inn NEMA 14-50 w/JESLA, 9.6kW) - skipped

23625 Pacific Grove-Carmel Highway Monterey, CA (CHOMP Hospital, 44kW / 115 amp) - worked

333 Blossom Hill Rd, Los Gatos, CA (Vasona Park, end)

>>>> 524 Total Miles<<<<

TonyWilliams said:
On the 1000 mile weekend journey that I did from San Diego to San Jose, and return, only two CHAdeMO chargers failed (not good, but far better than when I did a similar trip in 2012 and they almost ALL failed... all 4 of them ;-)<snipped>
I make it five out of nine QC locations functional (1 broken, 1 reported broken, two failed), or not quite 56%. Not something I'd feel comfortable counting on if I HAD to get somewhere, where I'd want at least two 9's reliability (three 9's or better preferred) plus redundancy.

gra said:
TonyWilliams said:
On the 1000 mile weekend journey that I did from San Diego to San Jose, and return, only two CHAdeMO chargers failed (not good, but far better than when I did a similar trip in 2012 and they almost ALL failed... all 4 of them ;-)<snipped>
I make it five out of nine QC locations functional (1 broken, 1 reported broken, two failed), or not quite 56%. Not something I'd feel comfortable counting on if I HAD to get somewhere, where I'd want at least two 9's reliability (three 9's or better preferred) plus redundancy.

Well, nobody is comfortable with the status quo. The number one charging infrastructure poor performer is government rip-off artist Blink / Electric Transportation Engineering Corporation (d/b/a ECOtality North America), et al, that built complete garbage, soaked the tax payer for $100 million plus, and soaked investors for another $100 million plus, and ran when the house of cards crashed. They are bankrupt, and the company that bought it all for $3 million will likely go bankrupt, too.

The other failing is the early Yazaki connector. They have now improved that to "mostly adequate". There are many, many other manufacturers of CHAdeMO spec equipment besides those two companies, and many of them provide good stuff. Our Fuji Electric CHAdeMO (the first DC charger on the ChargePoint network) works without a hiccup, and the plug is fantastically light and easy to use. We also have two Nissan / Sumitomo built 44kW CHAdeMO chargers, both working well (they don't have that good of a reputation, and I don't expect them to last more than several years).

But, Tesla's Superchargers seem to have it figured out. It's rare to hear of one broken, and even if one is broken, there are two plugs on every 120kW - 135kW charger, and generally two to four chargers per location. It is the "real deal", but not open to the public, and likely never will be.

Somebody (besides Tesla) will figure out that reliability has value to customers, who will pay a premium to get that feature. Notice that it won't have anything to do with Frankenplug -vs- CHAdeMO.

TonyWilliams said:
<snip>
Somebody (besides Tesla) will figure out that reliability has value to customers, who will pay a premium to get that feature. Notice that it won't have anything to do with Frankenplug -vs- CHAdeMO.
Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing how the ABB and Efacec dual-standard QCs hold up. The Blinks had both lousy equipment and poor response to out of service equipment, but as I mentioned upthread, at least in the ones closest to me CCGI has done some kind of equipment upgrading that has radically improved the reliability of both the QC and the L2s; they'd previously replaced the 1st gen Yazaki handles on the QC with 2nd Gen gun-type, which are far better. Unfortunately, these upgrades were soon followed by an increase in rates that made BEVs more expensive to 'fuel' than just putting gas in a moderately efficient ICE like my 11 year old AWD Forester. They say this is necessary to pay for the system's upkeep and turn a profit, and I don't doubt that, but like you I consider this completely unsustainable as a business.

Two more dual standard eVgo stations have now popped up in the Westminster mall and Outlets at Orange. I went to the one in Westminister and it had power but the touch screen wasn't responding for me, others had success so it may have just been a reset. The Outlets one seems to not be activated yet.

NRG just added a dual ABB station in Escondido, exactly like that in Thousand Oaks. So, two CHAdeMO plugs (one Nissan / Sumitomo with Yazaki plug, and one ABB with the brand new Sumitomo plug) and one CCS Combo1, plus the existing J1772 30 amp plug.

Nice, looks like they're really ramping up on the upgrades. I'm hoping they'll get something in corona or riverside. The entire inland empire is empty right now.

In LA and Orange County Kia is seriously impressing me with their expansion. Like a month ago their was nothing out here and now there are 4 installed and a few more in process or on the way. The fact that their supporting both standards is pretty awesome and makes up for the struggle that some users are having with the dealerships.

As of 12/15/14, Plugshare is showing 39 CCS locations in California, 17 in Norcal and 22 in SoCal. Other states appear to be unchanged over the past couple of months, but now that the i3 and e-Golf are both available we'll see if that changes.

AutoGuide reports that BMW is planning a charging station blitz.

Next year will be the "year of infrastructure," BMW electric-car strategist Jacob Harb said in an interview with the site.
The company has a plan to significantly expand the network of DC fast-charging stations that recharge using the Combined Charging Standard (CCS) fitted to its i3 electric car.... it plans to make an announcement on the subject at the 2015 Detroit Auto Show in January.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1095878_bmw-promises-ccs-fast-charging-blitz-for-2015-details-in-detroit

A new evGo combo SAE Chademo charger just went online in Manhattan Beach in front of the Freash and Easy on Roseceans and Aviation. Have not had a chance to use it, and I don't have any real faith in the reliability of the DC chargers, but it's one more on the map. N

Dwood said:
A new evGo combo SAE Chademo charger just went online in Manhattan Beach in front of the Freash and Easy on Roseceans and Aviation. Have not had a chance to use it, and I don't have any real faith in the reliability of the DC chargers, but it's one more on the map. N

I just heard from an ego rep that out here mid way between LA and Palm Springs, they're installing a couple of stations and upgrading others (to add the SAE Combo). Really nice level of communication I received just from a location query.

Chaconzies said:
Nice, looks like they're really ramping up on the upgrades. I'm hoping they'll get something in corona or riverside. The entire inland empire is empty right now.

Yes, ego is working on this area. I quote from rep James Tilman: "Here’s what I got right now. Inland Center is prepped and ready for an SAE station to be installed, however I’m waiting on hardware as it goes to the new build sites first. With that said, in addition to the Calimesa site (we poured concrete today), we will break ground at Ontario Mills Mall (about 23 miles from Redlands) on Monday and it will have a SAE port. I’ll work on prioritizing Inland Center when I get my next hardware delivery."

The Calimesa is also at Fresh and Easy (good for them, I say). And of course, I'm pushing for the logic behind a Redlands location (not just my own personal logic :lol: ).

Back