Kenwood KSC-SW11 Subwoofer Installation plus Kicker Speakers

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WattEV

OK…I took my car apart to install a Kenwood KSC-SW11 powered subwoofer and Kicker KS1140 front/KS1146 rear speakers. I modified the harness to adapt to the Spark EV factory wiring so that it looks professional and not some hack job from Best Buy. I Have a lot of wiring provisions, so it was easy for me to make. I even had some of the felt wiring tape that is used in the factory harness so it all matches.

I've owned many cars and work for a well known auto manufacture now (not GM, I know…) so I've had my experience with vehicle disassembly. It was easy for me, but could be difficult for others. I'm very meticulous with not scratching or damaging parts. Ask any questions that you may have! :D

Here are some pics. I will add more details later, but you can look at all of the pictures by just going to the album.

IMG_5358.JPG

IMG_5382.JPG

IMG_5388.JPG

IMG_5430.JPG

IMG_5415.JPG

Full album: https://picasaweb.google.com/102068...authkey=Gv1sRgCIHrpuyE9Lv72wE&feat=directlink

Looks great! Thanks for posting up the pictures. I'd likely go to a professional car audio shop to have my work done, but it's helpful to have the photos to show them, in case the wiring is potentially different for EVs (since this is just for the audio, it might be the same a gas car... I have no idea).

Hopefully you now have a boomin' sound system. :cool:

Any tips on how you were able to get the rear seat out of the (forward) plastic retaining clips? I had a heck of a time with those, as I've never used that type of clip, visibility was poor, and tool access was even harder. Seemed like there must be a special tool for that job!

Opinions on the front and rear speakers? I usually have my rear speakers and back seat removed (makes more room for the hatch entry and my big dog!), and I've been planning to swap at least the front speakers with something better. I'm on the fence with going larger, as some have 5 1/4" and some have 4".

Bryce

Bumping this excellent thread. Nice series of pics. Where do you get your fuzzy wire harness wrap? It's identical to the OEM stuff, ahem. :geek:

Nashco said:
Any tips on how you were able to get the rear seat out of the (forward) plastic retaining clips? I had a heck of a time with those, as I've never used that type of clip, visibility was poor, and tool access was even harder. Seemed like there must be a special tool for that job!

Opinions on the front and rear speakers? I usually have my rear speakers and back seat removed (makes more room for the hatch entry and my big dog!), and I've been planning to swap at least the front speakers with something better. I'm on the fence with going larger, as some have 5 1/4" and some have 4".

Bryce

Well, I guess better late than never! Haven't been on here for a while...As for getting the seat out, I used a long crescent wrench, because it was flat, and placed it between the seat cushion and carpet, just next to each clip and then pulled up on the exposed end of the crescent wrench quicly to pop the hook of the seat from the clip. It was very easy and quick.

The same type of clip is used to retain the side airbag modules. You have to take those off to get the side panels off. The clip is at the bottom of the airbag bolster. Pop the clip with the wrench and then unhook the module at the top from the retaining frame. Make sure to unplug the connector (and make sure the battery is disconnected!).

JoeSchmoe said:
Bumping this excellent thread. Nice series of pics. Where do you get your fuzzy wire harness wrap? It's identical to the OEM stuff, ahem. :geek:

Thanks! I bought the tape a long time ago from a shop online. I did a quick search and found this company sells it as well:

http://www.hotrodleather.com/index.php/electrical/vintage-style-cloth-electrical-tape.html

You might find it on Ebay as well. I love the tape because it does give it that factory look.

I'll be updating the sound system soon...again...I'm going to incorporate one of the Kicker plug & play amps (200 watt RMS) that Chevrolet offers for the Sonic and Cruze and then build a custom cargo shelf in the back with two 6x9's to give it some better bass. I'll probably end up removing the Kicker sub. It's OK, but I want a little more clarity and I think the 6x9's will fill that need.

Stay tuned!

What fuse spots did you tap into for the power(yellow) and remote accessory power (blue) wires? I am trying to do the same thing, no clue whats safe to plug into.

Is there an empty accessories space in the fuse box to run off that with a tap like the power?

Thanks for the inspiration. I ended up doing something very similar, but without removing the seats:
Sub is under the driver's seat (takes up a tiny bit of legroom). There is some sort of padding under the rear carpeting, screws bit right in. Not super strong, but it stops the sub from moving around.
Snaked the sound input wires under carpet (alongside the factory wiring paths), all the way back to both rear speakers.
I tapped the 12V from the rear power port. The wire is a bit thin, but I checked, and at full volume there was only ~1V of drop.
Used the grounding lug right under the console.
Excess wires wrapped at the rear of the center console.
Snaked the control unit to the front of the console, and put it in the tray.

Sounds way better.

Pics:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=18KA2bnqtHuiuR6VXBQQfUEfgzB5bGesg3A
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GhLeytKCv9M8ZU35VajfkmLmAgQOYeBSOw

Can anyone explain exactly how to remove the rear seat backs, bottom cushion, and rear airbag bolsters?
I tried combing this site and the entire Web with no luck. Some photos would really help.
I plan to mount the sub vertically between the seats near the floor using a home made bracket coming from under the cushion.
Thanks!

How did you get the back seat out? It is driving me nuts! There are two strange bolts that are attached to the seat belts on the back of the seat where it is mounted to the frame.

Please let me know.

I currently am running a 3000 watt amp with two 12 inch DVC subs and the ported Subwoofer box is literally just laying ontop on the back seats that are layed forward.

Sorry to revive this old thread. I just installed this Kenwood sub and had trouble with fuses but eventually worked it out. It’s certainly not boomy but it absolutely fills out the sound. I got it off Amazon for $156+tax and would definitely recommend it.

For anyone else installing this, I had trouble with the accessory wiring for the rear cigarette adapter…just wouldn’t work. So I just had it connect to the internal fuse box.

I chatted with a Crutchfield rep a minute ago and their concern was about damaging the "sensitive" electronics with an upgrade like this. I know they're just CYA, but I'm curious to know how everyone's upgrades fared long-term? Any issues with the car (particularly stuff on the 12V circuit)?

Hoping someone is willing to respond on this 9-year old thread.

Getting ready to do this install. My local Audio store said the SiriusXM amp was under the passanger seat. Is that really what all the wires plug into? There is one open plug, what for?
Thanks.

Back