2016 spark ev wifi for full time home internet connection?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alspark

Hi anyone/everyone I am proud new owner of a 2016, and my face is breaking. Thats not my problem tho, smiling is a good thing, and its only been a week, so maybe the smile muscles will relax soon. Anyway I was thinkin that what would make me smile more would be to take advantage of the unlimited data package available thru gm and use my spark at home as my full time tv/internet connection. If possible I want to cut the $200. cable bill for a $25. connection. has anyone done this, and would it hurt the car to be ON all nite? I park right beside my kitchen and the signal is good. Also will this work while charging?

Welcome and congrats !

I don't think the Spark EV can be used as a wifi hotspot.
Does the Bolt make that claim?

My spark ev does have wifi, and I park beside my kitchen window and get a great signal in the house from it. The connection stays on with the car shut off until I open the drivers door to get out, which then shuts down everything. I found that shutting down the car, then opening the passenger door lets the connection stay on. My question is would leaving the car in this somewhat ON position hurt anything? Is it ok to turn on the car when plugged in to level 2 charger? Thanks to those who run this site, and I hope to gain lots more knowledge on the new love of my life

I think I read something recently in a Bolt EV forum that the Bolt will shut off after two hours when you do the exit through the passenger door, but maybe not if it is in neutral rather than park. This was on a Bolt, not a Spark EV, and was in the context of using the Bolt (through an inverter) as a power source during outages.

Personally I use over the air antenna TV, a Tracfone smartphone (about $7 a month, not one of their smartphone-specific plans), a Straight Talk land line (sort of), and a local non-cable internet provider.

I would like to hear your experience, and I'm waiting for more input on this question.

Looks like I answered my own question, the wifi shuts off after about 5 min. I didnt try to fool with it anymore after that, and I won't be paying for any of their connectivity plans. Its pretty cool to know that the next questions (prolly dumb) I come up with can reach some fellow sparkev owners who will help with answers. thanks

May be way late but for any one else. I use my spark as my fulltime internet connection at my house using onstars $25 overage coverage plan. The car will charge while it is on and plugged in. I plug in the charger and get it charging first then I leave the car fully turned on and turn off automatic lights and radio and it will stay on and broadcasting internet for about 2.5 hrs then turn off automatically. I have had no problems with the car and I only lose 2 miles for 2 hrs of internet time if I do not have it plugged in hope this helps

Back