Where are the six speakers? I can only find 4!

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevintchr

Just got my Spark EV level two trim in electric blue. Great deal at Bunnin Chevy!
I'm not an audiophile, but I can only find 4 speakers in my car and its says 6 speakers in all the literature on the car. I'm sure they are hiding! Anybody know where the other two speakers might be?

oh. okay. i guess that makes sense. I was looking for the other two speakers, and on the door panel of the back doors there is a cut out of some kind that looks like it could be where speakers would go, but I guess not. Thanks again for your answer.

Anyone swap the speakers out for something better? Wondered at the feasibility and benefits - i.e. is the system much good to begin with and would it benefit from a speaker upgrade?

I am absolutely going to replace the speakers. I have not yet but it is on the to do very soon list! The front are 4" speakers and the rear are 4"x6" speakers. I am also highly confident there will be a huge improvement over the OEM speakers if you use a coaxial speaker for replacement. The low end will probably improve some, but the mids and highs have a lot of room for better clarity if coaxial speakers are used. If you are leasing I recommend using the metra adapter so it will be easy to remove and return to the OEM condition before giving the vehicle back.

I will post photos of my switch once I get there but if you want some sooner, there are plenty posted for swaps in the gas version of the Spark.

I was ready to swap speakers too, but I installed a Powered Subwoofer Kenwood KSC-SW11. It fit under the driver seat and the stereo sounds fantastic now!

blope said:
I was ready to swap speakers too, but I installed a Powered Subwoofer Kenwood KSC-SW11. It fit under the driver seat and the stereo sounds fantastic now!

So I take it that the stock stereo is just lacking some low-end?

Yes, lacks low end. But just as bad if not worse is the clarity of highs and mids. I have looked to check but believe they are not coaxial speakers. If that is true I am not surprised by the audio performance. I am definitely not complaining though, the manufacturer had to be cost conscience and given the space limitations the performance is expected. I just wont be able to commute for 3 years listening to it the way it came from the factory, even though it will be a shorter one being in the carpool lane.

Yes it's bass that the car lacks, I took my car to my stereo store that always does my tint and the guy sat in the car.. He talked me out of replacing all the speakers and adjusted the sound by taking all the bass out. He told me that because it's a lease I should just deal with it like it was ( he didn't try to sell me anything), but I wasn't happy so I got the powered subwoofer after reading the reviews on Amazon. I got it, took it to a stereo store in East LA on lunch one day and for $40 install, it sounds fantastic. I've had BMW and Volvo wagons for the last 20 years and this stereo sounds almost as good as my 07 328 wagon that had subwoofers under the front seats. Not quite as powerful, but very satisfying.

With the bass turned down on the stock speakers of the Spark, but the Kenwood sub turned up, I'm very happy.

blope said:
With the bass turned down on the stock speakers of the Spark, but the Kenwood sub turned up, I'm very happy.

Well yeah, that's basically a poor man's crossover so the smaller speakers can play just the frequencies they do best and leave the lower ones for the sub. So I assume there are line-out jacks on the head unit (that aren't affected by the EQ settings?)

blope said:
OK, so now I finally have my Spark EV and hearing the little stock speakers try to reproduce low-end is killing me! I need to add a sub and a crossover. Blope, can you possibly post some pictures of how you mounted the Kenwood sub? There's a little electronic module thing under the driver's seat in my car that makes me worry that there won't be enough room for the sub.

Also, what's the dash disassembly process for getting to the rear of the head unit?

Back