Potential Buyer questions

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all,

I have been doing some research into Spark EVs. Looks like it could be a fun and economical car to drive. I already have a Leaf, so I'm familiar with EVs. Some Spark questions:

1) Seats - It's all a matter of taste, but it looks like the choices are either some funky cloth color, or cheap looking vinyl. Any feedback from people on them? Has your vinyl worn OK?

2) The Chevy App - Can someone either tell me or point me to what features from the app work without an OnStar subscription? I have gotten used to the App with the Leaf.

3) Options - It seems like there are only 2 configurations of this car, the 1LT with cloth seats, and the 2LT with Leatherette seats and steering wheel. I have never heard any mention of any other options other than a fast charging plug. Were there any other options available?

4) Any other advice? I am located in CT.

jake14mw said:
Hi all,

I have been doing some research into Spark EVs. Looks like it could be a fun and economical car to drive. I already have a Leaf, so I'm familiar with EVs. Some Spark questions:

1) Seats - It's all a matter of taste, but it looks like the choices are either some funky cloth color, or cheap looking vinyl. Any feedback from people on them? Has your vinyl worn OK?

2) The Chevy App - Can someone either tell me or point me to what features from the app work without an OnStar subscription? I have gotten used to the App with the Leaf.

3) Options - It seems like there are only 2 configurations of this car, the 1LT with cloth seats, and the 2LT with Leatherette seats and steering wheel. I have never heard any mention of any other options other than a fast charging plug. Were there any other options available?

Question 1: Up until the lease on my 2015 Spark EV 2LT ended last month, I had three Spark EV 2LT vehicles - a 2014, 2015 and 2016. All had the leatherette seat material and so far none of the three has show any wear. The front seats in the 2014 and 2015 had cloth seat covers from day 1. The 2016 does not have any seat covers.

Question #2: I am not sure since I generally do not use the APP.

Question 3: The L1 EVSE that comes with the car charges at 120 VAC at 8 amps or 120 VAC at 12 amps. This is selected on the Energy Information screen in the car and the default is always 8 amps. The L2 EVSE option will charge at 240 VAC and 16 amps (3.3 kW). The DCFC option will charge at up to 400 volts DC at 125 amps (50 kW). The DCFC charging method starts tapering off at 80% of full charge.

OPTIONS: You are correct. There are only 2 options - 1LT and 2LT. For 2014 and 2015, either option could be configured with the DCFC quick charge option. I believe the 2016 models all came with the DCFC option but I am not 100% sure. My 2014 did not have the DCFC option but my 2015 and 2016 models did.

Note: Chevrolet only built approximately 7500 Spark EVs over the three years the Spark EV was available in the USA. Most of those went to California, Oregon and Maryland. Still, today you will find posts about someone buying a used Spark EV in California and having it shipped across the country to their home. How often do you see that happen for other vehicles? In my opinion, the Spark EV is a great car and GM should have kept it going. Both my 2014 and 2016 Spark EVs were purchased used and have been trouble-free. I found both of them on CarGurus.com.

jake14mw said:
Hi all,

I’m in CT too. Car has been great. I have over 20,000 miles and my pleather seats are holding up fine. I’d go for the 2LT if only to get the leather wrapped wheel. Also look for a version without the baby blue interior accents.

Onstar App works for either 3 or 5 years without subscription.

Get DCFC if you can.

Dated response, but I think this is a good question and there are not that many forums (and I wish good answers would appear be in a FAQ!).

If buying a used Spark EV, I would check remaining battery capacity.

This can be estimated by looking at the predicted range of a fully charged Spark EV (mine shows ~60-82 miles usually). However, this method is not very accurate as the predicted range depends very much on previous drives (so high speed/highway or using AC/heat can dramatically impact the number).

The more accurate method is to press the energy button (or page through the menus on a partially discharged Spark and look at energy usage. The screen will indicate % of charge remaining as well as kWhr's used. Some simple math can then compute 100% capacity in kWhrs. In theory the number should be ~18kWhrs.

Not sure what a 'good' battery capacity is as the only two I've seen in person both calculated out to 15-16kWhrs. This seems low to me, but my own car (a 2015 that was supposedly used extensively with DC fast charging for 30kmiles before I acquired it) only has ~15kWhrs and yet regularly gets 70-105 miles of range in my typical driving (~70 miles with a few short, 5-10 miles trips down the highway with the cruise around 72mph depending upon traffic, and ~105 miles on local 25-45 mph stop-and-go surface roads).

APP: Without an OnStar subscription, you have basic functions in the app like remote lock, pre starting, etc.

It will not show you current state of charge. If you login into the My Chevrolet website, it will show you SOC and charge history, and you can download it.

Unfortunately the charging detail is much more accurate with the paid plan.

TRIMS: only the two trims are available. GMs certified pre owned site (gmcertified.com) calls them 1SA and 1SB for some reason. DC Fast charging is just about the only option, but well worth it, AND will help the resale value down the road. Even GMs accessories site has very few options. I got the sport pedals, that’s about it.

SEATS: I don’t like leather, real or fake. So when I bought my car 2LT I added seat covers right away.

One suggestion. I HIGHLY recommend buying through GMs certified pre owned site, listed above. It includes extended warranties, and better kept vehicles. I’m told leased vehicles from a California can be pretty beat up sometimes so this helps to assure the overall condition of the car.

Never thought I would by a Spark EV, but it pays for itself in gas savings. I drive it almost 75 miles per day. Wife tells me I was spending nearly $350 in gas per month. with my Lexus. My car payment is $130/mo. plus we have solar already installed in our home.

Stealthy little beast with 400 ft.lbs torque. I surprise a lot of cars, yes even Teslas, when I take off. Loads of fun! Fits in small spaces!

Definitely get the DC FC.
Vinyl seats have worn well after 5 yers they still look and feel good.

Low resistance tires god but not necessary.
Good luck!

I have a white 2016 1LT . with the funky cloth / nylon seats. I like. Probably breathes a bit. Does get dirty. Bought the car in Montreal 2 months ago and drove it back. An adventure. Did a test spot clean with Oxy Clean solution. It will work well . I have a driver seat cover to put on for winter.
Heated seats are nice.
I like the steering wheel.
I am very ,very happy with the car. Still driving with a grin.

I have a seat cover i use left over from my i3 lease. Seats get hot in AZ even with tint. Quick as hell, spin the tires at will. Handles fine. Zero issues with this 2015 at 18k, got with 14k 11 months ago. Charge it a few times a week, have fast charged it once at a chevy dealer without incident.

Still charges over 90 this time of year, less, 70+, in summer. You'll lose miles in winter...heater about useless, seat heater helps. I like the radio. A/C is great. Buy one. It's a city/ short range rocket!

Back